[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "BYU to the Big East is dead"  (Read 2220 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
"BYU to the Big East is dead"
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:49 AM »
BYU not coming

I just saw this come across this morning. It looks like BYU will not be joining the Big East due to television rights. They want to retain rights to their football games, and apparently have their own television network as well (who knew?) in addition to an eight-year deal with ESPN as a football independent.

The first two replacements mentioned in the article were (of course) Temple and Memphis, but apparently that could be a sticking point with Boise State, who wants more western expansion, likely to reduce travel costs. It looks like San Diego State is the next likely target. SDSU is 954 miles from Boise, still a long trek, but far less than if Louisville (1,886 miles) were added to the proposed West half of the football slate.

If they have to go west with that last school, why not UNLV? They have a football program, are closer to Boise (628 miles) than San Diego is, and have a perennially good basketball team. SDSU's basketball is okay, but I'm not sold that they'll build a long-term program on par with UNLV.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: "BYU to the Big East is dead"
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:12:44 AM »
UNLV might be a better fit than SDSU.  Other than gambling UNLV is the only game in town.  I still don't think BYU is dead.  The latest story sounds like negoiation to get the best deal possible.  Remember Texas has the Longhorn Network.  ESPN should be willing to cooperate to stay out of having executives have to testify under oath about the Cuse/Pitt situation.  We'll see a bunch of stories in the weeks and months ahead as this all plays out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »
UNLV might be a better fit than SDSU.  Other than gambling UNLV is the only game in town.  I still don't think BYU is dead.  The latest story sounds like negoiation to get the best deal possible.  Remember Texas has the Longhorn Network. 

But Texas isn't retaining television revenue for home conference games...which is what BYU wants.

Frankly, given some of the new BCS proposals out there, the BE is going to be screwed since there will likely be no such things as AQ conferences any longer.  Might as well just concentrate on basketball at this point.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
^This

Theres a reason why BYU to ____ Conference hasn't happened, they are too much to deal with and too demanding. I just wonder if not getting BYU makes Air Force sour on the deal, and hence Boise St.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »
^This

Theres a reason why BYU to ____ Conference hasn't happened, they are too much to deal with and too demanding. I just wonder if not getting BYU makes Air Force sour on the deal, and hence Boise St.

Isn't this a good thing for those of us who beleive that BE needs to focus on it's strength....Hoops?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »
I wish I could find the article, but when they declared they were going independent in the summer 2010, it was more than about football and about money. 

The leadership at BYU and the LDS Church view the football program as an evangelical vehicle and a point of pride for LDS members.  And the LDS leadership these days is a little more, shall I say, "zealous" in its pursuit of converts that previous leaders were.

So if they make enough money from their television deal, and can get into a decent enough bowl game (which is pretty much assured given their fan-base) they are willing to go through the hassles of independence.

It honestly doesnt' surprise me that they turned the BE down.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
Isn't this a good thing for those of us who beleive that BE needs to focus on it's strength....Hoops?

In the long term, yes, but lack of a quality conference on the football side of things makes it harder for schools like UConn and Louisville to stay put. Makes ACC and Big 12 more attractive.

The "Private School League" is a foregone conclusion in my mind. It's only an issue of how many years it takes to make it happen.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

feedback