collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cutler breaks thumb...out for year?  (Read 8401 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Cutler breaks thumb...out for year?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
Which 10-14 QBs would you rank ahead of him? I'll give you Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, who else ya got? Just curious.

He's top 10. Who would I take ahead of him?

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Rothlesberger
E. Manning
Rivers
Romo
Maybe Newton
Maybe Stafford
P. Manning (assuming he can come back)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
It all kind of depends on if you're talking about today or long term.  And whether they are healthy.  Ones I would for sure say yes to over Cutler:

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rothlisberger, Eli Manning (obviously would say Peyton too if he was playing this year)

Ones I would consider taking over Cutler:

Romo, Schaub, Newton, Ryan, Vick (probably not this year), Stafford (when healthy), Rivers (if we're talking long term...obviously not having a good year)

Cutler ranks 11th in passer rating this year, 26th in completion percentage, 16th in passing yards, 11th in yards per attempt, 16th in touchdowns, 8th best in terms of interceptions, and 19th in yards per game.  Obviously, the weapons in terms of receivers and the protection are not equal for all of these quarterbacks, so it's hard to say who's better than who solely based on statistics, but it's not like he's been absolutely lighting it up this year.  Solid year.  But it's not hard to fathom 10 quarterbacks being considered better than him in the NFL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
That's the thing, there are too many "maybe" and "if" both for and against.

People have said Eli and Romo, but that's hard to definitively say "yes" to on either of those guys. If you give Cutler the weapons Romo has, does your mind change? Eli's won a SB, but do you watch him consistently and get blown away? Cutler can over trust his arm sometimes and make silly throws.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
That's the thing, there are too many "maybe" and "if" both for and against.

People have said Eli and Romo, but that's hard to definitively say "yes" to on either of those guys. If you give Cutler the weapons Romo has, does your mind change? Eli's won a SB, but do you watch him consistently and get blown away? Cutler can over trust his arm sometimes and make silly throws.

Agreed.  He's in the 2nd tier somewhere.  Whether it's between quarterback #7 or quarterback #15, he's somewhere in that range.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
if hanie is servicable, forte, hester and the defense can get them to the playoffs.  Seattle and KC at home should be wins.  Minn and Denver are certainly winnable.  Oak and Green Bay will be tough.  I am expecting 3-3 with Hanie at the helm, with a decent chance at 4-2.  3-3 gets them in the playoffs, most likely.  at that point, cutler may be back.

I hope so...Bears own the tie breaker with ATL but they would need some help from DAL's opponents. (I think NYG win the NFC East)

I think if the Bears can win 3 and get some help they'll get in...4 and they will be in.  I think they beat KC and possibly SEA at home and maybe GB won't be playing for anything in DEC so maybe that's a shot at a W.  DEN is another possibility...they won't need to score more than 14 to hang with DEN.  I think they loose next week to OAK.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
Given the pathetic QB history in Chicago, it is easy to understand what Bear fans are excited about Cutler and disappointed by this news. Even if he is top 10-15, good but not elite, etc., he is a good player, and certainly the best they have had...maybe ever.

I think its easy for us Packer fans to overlook that, considering we went from one of the greatest of all time, and although its still early, seemingly were able to actually upgrade the position. A fact that completely blows my mind given how few good QBs there are in the league in any given year.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
wasn't Cutler a ProBowler at Denver?
If he had the offensive lines  and the receivers of the others this wouldn't be a discussion.

LON

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »
I am a diehard Packer fan who detests the Bears.  That stated, this is not welcome news.  I always liked Cutler, from his days at Vanderbilt and felt that he was not respected for his talents.  This year, Martz finally figured it out and he was having a very nice year.

That's because Cutler told Martz to basically "Eff off"

I still can't believe he has a coaching job on the merits of "his" Rams' offense that included how many HOF'ers?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »
Fellow Packers fans, relax. Cutler is a top ten quarterback, hands down.

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton and Rothelisberger are hands down the best QBs in the league. Stafford, Rivers, Eli and Cutler are all together in terms of talent.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Fellow Packers fans, relax.

Who wasn't relaxed? I don't think I've ever seen such consensus on this board.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
I think what is most disappointing for me is Cutler missing out on the opportunity to go back into Denver and shut up Saint Tebow on his home turf in a return to his former stomping grounds.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »

I think its easy for us Packer fans to overlook that, considering we went from one of the greatest of all time, and although its still early, seemingly were able to actually upgrade the position. A fact that completely blows my mind given how few good QBs there are in the league in any given year.

This is an outstanding comment. Given how few actual elite, truly elite QB's there are out there, for the Packers to have probably a 20 year run between Favre and Rodgers is remarkable. Only the 49ers with Montana/Young come to mind otherwise for a sustained run of excellence at that position. Look at the Dolphins still trying to replace Marino.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
Look at the Dolphins still trying to replace Marino.

(dolphins fan here) :nods solemnly:
I actually own a Jay Fiedler jersey. Loved him, think he's the best we've had since Marino. Just some perspective.

Unrelated - ironic that Cutler actually got hurt out of the pocket.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
At least its a real injury that is going to side line him this year?
Not like last year when he was a kitten ass little bitch that just didn't want to play

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »

This is an outstanding comment. Given how few actual elite, truly elite QB's there are out there, for the Packers to have probably a 20 year run between Favre and Rodgers is remarkable. Only the 49ers with Montana/Young come to mind otherwise for a sustained run of excellence at that position. Look at the Dolphins still trying to replace Marino.

It is unfathomable, frankly.  More so because as we sit here today, would anyone argue that Steve Young was a better QB than Joe Montana -- probably not.  However, I don't think anyone would argue that Rodgers has a legitimate chance and opportunity to be considered better than Favre 10-15 years from now.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
From

Who wasn't relaxed? I don't think I've ever seen such consensus on this board.

to

At least its a real injury that is going to side line him this year?
Not like last year when he was a kitten ass little bitch that just didn't want to play

Anyway, I think the comments are about right on.  Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethisberger, healthy Peyton are clearly the upper level.  I think guys like Romo, Eli, Cutler, Rivers, arguably Stafford and a guy like Newton are all at about the same level.  Romo, Eli, Rivers and Cutler are easier to compare because they're all at similar stages in their careers, and I think you could make a reasonable argument for any possible ordering of those four QB's.  Personally, I'd rank Eli and Rivers ahead of Cutler or Romo because of proven playoff experience, but that's not to say that Cutler is any less talented, or that he could prove me wrong. 

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
It is unfathomable, frankly.  More so because as we sit here today, would anyone argue that Steve Young was a better QB than Joe Montana -- probably not.  However, I don't think anyone would argue that Rodgers has a legitimate chance and opportunity to be considered better than Favre 10-15 years from now.

Lets pump the brakes here a little.  I agree that he could "potentially" be considered better than Favre someday, but you can get away with saying just about anything by qualifying it as "potential."  I just hope everyone remembers that Favre was unquestionably the top QB in the league for 3-4 years, and had remarkable longevity and effectiveness even after his prime.  I'm just saying that there are a TON of intervening events before that becomes a meaningful discussion. 

To be clear, I agree with you, it could happen.  I just think people sometimes forget how good Favre actually was in the late 90s, and how he maintained a slightly lesser level of play through the 2000s. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »

Apples to oranges. Young didn't become the 49ers full-time starting QB until he was 31 years old. He didn't have a 10-12 year window to outperform his predecessor. Had Young taken over for Montana 4-5 years earlier or been 4-5 years younger, who knows how we'd view him compared to Montana?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
(dolphins fan here) :nods solemnly:
I actually own a Jay Fiedler jersey. Loved him, think he's the best we've had since Marino. Just some perspective.

More perspective. The Bears best QB of the last 25 years has been Erik Kramer (and he was 18-28 as a starter). The Bears all-time leader in passing yards is Sid Luckman with 14,686 (Sid retired in 1950). That's 24 yards more than what future HOFer Matt Schaub has thrown for in his last 4 seasons.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:51:16 PM by MerrittsMustache »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
Hearing now the thumb injury isn't as bad as believed, but will still require surgery.

Bears say he will certainly miss next 4 games (@ Oak, KC, @ Den, Sea). Assuming the surgery goes well and heals properly, Bears would evaluate then where they are in the playoff race before the Christmas night game (again, assuming Cutler heals in good time).

We'll see if this is true, but just heard this from a pretty good and reliable source.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »

This Packer fan remembers the dark days where the only fleeting bright spots were Lynn Dickey and the Majik Man.  My childhood (and early adulthood) is darkened by the days of David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, Anthony Dilweg and Blair Keil.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »

This Packer fan remembers the dark days where the only fleeting bright spots were Lynn Dickey and the Majik Man.  My childhood (and early adulthood) is darkened by the days of David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, Anthony Dilweg and Blair Keil.

At least you did not have to live through Jim Delgaizo and John Hadl!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
Apples to oranges. Young didn't become the 49ers full-time starting QB until he was 31 years old. He didn't have a 10-12 year window to outperform his predecessor. Had Young taken over for Montana 4-5 years earlier or been 4-5 years younger, who knows how we'd view him compared to Montana?

Exactly... such has never happened before - who knows if it ever will.  It takes a perfect storm for us to even have the chance to talk about the remote possibility of an NFL legend being surpassed by his immediate successor (on the field).  It speaks to the magnitude of the significance should it actually happen.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
Hearing now the thumb injury isn't as bad as believed, but will still require surgery.

Bears say he will certainly miss next 4 games (@ Oak, KC, @ Den, Sea). Assuming the surgery goes well and heals properly, Bears would evaluate then where they are in the playoff race before the Christmas night game (again, assuming Cutler heals in good time).

We'll see if this is true, but just heard this from a pretty good and reliable source.

God, I hope so...thanks for the info Dish!

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
Sorry I wasn't able to respond all day, but here's my list of guys if I wanted a qb for the next two years and how I'd group them:

Rodger, Brady, Brees, P Manning (if healthy, huge if), Roethlisberger

Romo, E Manning, Schaub, Rivers (normally, he's been awful this year)

Vick, Newton, Cutler, Stafford, Ryan, Flacco

As other's have said, there's definititely some arguments to be made for putting Cutler ahead of some of those guys in the 2nd tier, I just wouldn't put him there (maybe I'm biased as a Packers fan), but I don't think you can say he's top 10 hands down. Granted, he doesn't have great skill players around him, other than a top 5 rb, but he doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well and that shows up when you look at his stats, nothing jumps off the page at you.