Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who steps up for Jae Crowder when he gets into foul trouble?  (Read 3849 times)

Marqevans

• All American
Who steps up for Jae Crowder when he gets into foul trouble?
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »
Last year being the toughest and meanest looking guy on the court since Bob Lackey in the 70's, I thought Jae had the attention of the refs and got called for too many ticky-tac fouls early in the game. Fortunately Jimmy Butler always seemed to be able to cover when he was out.   The other problem was that I thought Jae often got hammered going tpo the basket but the refs hardley ever called a foul.   

jsglow

• All American
Re: Who steps up for Jae Crowder when he gets into foul trouble?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »
I think you'll see Wilson get some time at the 4.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »
Nobody.  We have nobody that can bang like Crowder can.  We have athletic wings that can turn the game into something completely different with their outside shooting, but we don't have anyone that plays the Hayward version of a Center. 

leever

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »
Anybody else think that Jae would fare better with the refs if he didn't glare at them after each basket while screaming "and 1"?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »
This is one weakness I feel we have on the team.  The loss of Eric Williams leaves a hole there.  I understand why Williams left, mop up duty for Crowder and Wilson the next two years is prolly not what he envisioned.  But his loss for 10 minutes a game leaves us  a little weaker.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
I think if Crowder gets into foul trouble, we don't try to fill in for him. Instead, we go small, change our defensive pressure and see if we can make the opponent adjust to us.

I might add, in response to the original post, that I don't find Jae mean looking in the least. Quite the opposite, in fact! Seems like a nice guy and a popular teammate, but I have no first hand knowledge of this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:29 AM »
Anybody else think that Jae would fare better with the refs if he didn't glare at them after each basket while screaming "and 1"?

Nope.

I think if Crowder gets into foul trouble, we don't try to fill in for him. Instead, we go small, change our defensive pressure and see if we can make the opponent adjust to us.

Yep.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »

AGREED, and to add to this, Buzz has talked a few times about the lack of position.  However, his primary point is that there is a role in Buzz's offense where a player catches the ball at the top of the key.  (Matthews, Hayward, Jimmy, and now Jae).

Seems like Jamil is best suited to play that role, IMO.

edit:  Made the agreement about defensive replacement clearer.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:43:43 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
I don't think most people are worried about "the roles on offense"....its what Crowder does on defense and the boards at the 4/5 that will be hard to replace if he gets in foul trouble.

I'm sure it will be JW for lack of a better option.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
Agreed, and to add to this, Buzz has talked a few times about the lack of position.  However, his primary point is that there is a role in Buzz's offense where a player catches the ball at the top of the key.  (Matthews, Hayward, Jimmy, and now Jae).

Seems like Jamil is best suited to play that role, IMO.

the issue is not who will replace him offensively...that is a fans perspective.

The issue is who will replace him defensively, ie who can guard other teams 4's

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
the issue is not who will replace him offensively...that is a fans perspective.

The issue is who will replace him defensively, ie who can guard other teams 4's

And that's an interesting question.  I have no doubt that J.Wilson is athletic enough to guard a 4 and to get rebounds if he's hanging around the basket, but can he get low enough to guard against someone throwing a couple post moves at him?  I guess we'll see soon enough :)

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »

I might add, in response to the original post, that I don't find Jae mean looking in the least. Quite the opposite, in fact! Seems like a nice guy and a popular teammate, but I have no first hand knowledge of this.

I agree Jae probably is all those things, but just think if you are a ref seeing him for the first time and now look at his picture to the left, isn't he someone you are going to keep a close eye on to make sure he doesn't play too aggressively?