Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Now its a Federal Investigation  (Read 8119 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
Re: Now its a Federal Investigation
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Lennys, call it what you will, but this isn't politically motivated.  It is a federal law that MU is beholden to comply with.

there are many federal laws to be followed.  but which ones are enforced and acted upon is the million dollar question.  the timing of this is interesting.  the same as when these alleged incidents came to light, and back to light, and back to light, and...

my previous statement re: the correlation between buzz and joe pa was meant to only compare the knowledge of an incident and whether or not the proper protocol was followed thereafter.  not the seriousness of either, although  joe paterno's see no evil approach  has clearly blown up on him and rightly so  

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »

Talk to your Congress-critter.  They are the ones that had the bright idea to pass the Cleary Act.

So you're saying I have to do a little research, acquaint myself with the Cleary Act and then go to the trouble of contacting my Congressman? Sounds reasonable, but nowhere near as easy as generalized bi*#&ing about the government. I'll have to think about it :D

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
Wisky fans are having fun exuding their moral superiority.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=8162374
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
Wisky fans are having fun exuding their moral superiority.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=8162374

Good for them. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMvW-_pkX3Q&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kMvW-_pkX3Q&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
The issue here is a civil matter where Marquette may have failed to comply with a federal regulation governing reporting. Folks, let's think about this for a moment.

1)   Several students get a bit too over indulged and engage in certain bad behavior of a sexual nature.

2)   Some of these apparently included athletes.

3)   There is a serious question whether the behavior was consentual.

4)   Marquette's building security guards (aka Public Safety) offered the female involved the option of reporting the matter to the Milwaukee Police.

5)    She declined to report it or press charges.

6)    There are no witnesses or physical evidence that would call for the DA to press charges.

Given this fact pattern, what did Marquette do wrong? The individuals involved behaved badly and got themselves into a bad situation -- men and women alike. The athletes involved, whoever they are, did not behave in a manner consistent with the representation of the value of a Catholic university and should be punished for basically bad behavior, not for a criminal act. I believe that is what marquette did. That's a far different standard than a sexual assault matter. Under the circumstances as I understand it, there is no way of knowing conclusively whether a reportable sexual assault and a criminal act, actually occurred.

If we use the DOE standard, will there come a time when Marquette will end up reporting every sexual conduct where one party wakes up the following morning regretting what he/she did?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
Given this fact pattern, what did Marquette do wrong?

The issue is whether or not MU reported the sexual assaults on the crime statistics that they are required to disclose according to the Clery Act.  I guess the question is whether or not alleged crimes reported only to MUPS and not MPD have been included in the reports.

So this is *not* about the athletes alleged crime specifically.  Simply a question about Marquette's procedures related to reporting.  My guess is that the only reason it rose to the DoE's attention is because of the issues related to the investigation of the athletes.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »

The issue is whether or not MU reported the sexual assaults on the crime statistics that they are required to disclose according to the Clery Act.  I guess the question is whether or not alleged crimes reported only to MUPS and not MPD have been included in the reports.

So this is *not* about the athletes alleged crime specifically.  Simply a question about Marquette's procedures related to reporting.  My guess is that the only reason it rose to the DoE's attention is because of the issues related to the investigation of the athletes.

Sultan ole buddy, I don't think the fact that it involves athletes matters one bit. Nor does it matter than a criminal act occurred. It only matters that the alleged assault is high profile, was reported on the front page of one of the largest daily newspapers in America and was kept in front of the public on or about the same time a tragedy at Penn State hit the public.

The Chicago Tribune has been on a campus news kick for sometime. Just ask the University of Notre Dame or the University of Illinois if you don't believe me. The editors of the paper need some remedial time in Professor Lucas G. Staudacher's J-12 class under the session, "What is News?" I think some of the Marquette educated journalists skipped out on class that day.

By the way, are you the Sultan of South Wayne, WI, or South Wayne, NJ?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
You misunderstand what I said.  The investigation is not *specifically* about the athletes' alleged crimes.  But most certainly those alleged crimes brought this to the DOE's attention.

And it's Wisconsin.  I have family from there.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
You misunderstand what I said.  The investigation is not *specifically* about the athletes' alleged crimes.  But most certainly those alleged crimes brought this to the DOE's attention.

And it's Wisconsin.  I have family from there.

Have you been exiled, or does the sultan title follow you outside your lands?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
No diplomatic immunity down here in Indiana.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
You're probably right, but the PR damage is very real.

Not really.  Damaging short term here?  Yes.  Elsewhere? No way.  No one will remember this anywhere else.  Further, long term it will not even be a blip.  There likely will not be a follow up article, even when a final determination is made.

Don't overblow this.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
Not really.  Damaging short term here?  Yes.  Elsewhere? No way.  No one will remember this anywhere else.  Further, long term it will not even be a blip.  There likely will not be a follow up article, even when a final determination is made.

Don't overblow this.

I hope you are right.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
I hope you are right.

While that was an ESPN article, outside of here and UW, who else even remembers it right now?  Any discussion on the topic will immediately turn to Jerry Sandusky and Penn St.

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »
Marquette listed in today's NYT page one story.

On Campus, a Law Enforcement System to
Itself
The Penn State scandal is emblematic of a parallel judicial
universe favoring athletes that exists at many colleges and
universities.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/us/on-college-campuses-athletes-often-get-off-easy.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
Have you been exiled, or does the sultan title follow you outside your lands?

Hey Sultan, been through South Wayne many times on the way to Cuba City, Monroe and points west (aka, Dubuque). A couple of bars, a restaurant and a gas station and that's pretty much it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
My mom grew up on a farm outside of town, but went out of district to Monroe High School.

feedback