Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Preseason Roundtable: Feeling Blue?  (Read 3164 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Preseason Roundtable: Feeling Blue?
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »
Preseason Roundtable: Feeling Blue?

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Alan Bykowski)

The preseason roundtable continues! We're addressing some of the most important questions Buzz Williams and Marquette will face in the 2011-12 season. Now we turn our attention to the most prolific Buzz Williams recruit to suit up for the Warriors, Vander Blue.

Do you expect marked improvement from Vander Blue as a sophomore?

Alan: I do, though I also expect some teeth-gnashing. I think Blue is going to be more effective and aggressive getting to the hole, and while he hasn't necessarily bulked up, he looked more chiseled over the summer, and that lean muscle should help. I still don't think he'll be a great jump-shooter, but even if he can hit 40% from the field and is a danger when left wide open for a three, he'll keep defenses honest. Though most important is his defense. He showed flashes last year, now he needs to be consistent. The kid has a great nose for the ball, and a quicker, stronger Blue should be able to take advantage of that by creating turnovers and pushing transition.

Dr. Blackheart: Yes. Fans forget that Vander was a young freshman. His potential was shown against the low to mid-majors. He was exposed against the high-major big bodies at the rim. Fans are rightly concerned with his shot mechanics, but his value is as a "crease-finder", rebounder (led the guards with 6 per 40 minutes) and ball hawk (tied with Jae in steal percentage lead).

James: Yes. When you're at rock-bottom, you can only go up. I was surprised at how awkward Vander was most of the second half of the season. He seemed to lack any confidence offensively. I suspect his freshman year was an eye-opener for him and he realizes what a step up it is to play at this level. He can't just dominate guys athletically like he did in high school. My only concern is that his senior year in high school he hit a bit of a plateau. Was last year more of the same from his senior season or is he ready to make the next jump up? I'm going to say yes, he will take that step up.

John: Yes. In last year's preview, I wrote that Jae Crowder was clearly going to be the best newcomer on the team, not Vander. Five-stars rarely dominate as freshmen. Vander's season was a disappointment, but he showed he can play defense and get to the rim. He will improve, but the key will be whether or not he can hit free throws, because if he can do that he can still be a very good player even if his jumper is still weak.

Kevin: Man, I hope so. Last year, Buzz was clearly enamored with Vander's defense, so he'll see a lot of PT again. Vander looked like the same player he was last year during Haunted Hoops on the offensive end. Quick jumpers just off the mark.

Rob: I covered this on Friday. I definitely expect Vander to be much better this year. I wonder if he'll be around an average level (ORtg 100; usage 20%) or if he'll contribute at a higher level. I'm hopeful it's the latter.

Tim: Um, sure! Look, he's a freaky athlete who was miserable as a freshman. I think he was misused by Buzz a lot last year so my hope is that the coaching staff re-evaluated Vander's skills and will put him in a position where he will thrive.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2011/11/preseason-roundtable-feeling-blue.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Preseason Roundtable: Feeling Blue?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
Rock Bottom?  Hyperbole.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »
Rock Bottom?  Hyperbole.

At the end of the year, Vander's Ortg was 24 and he was turning the ball over 47% of the time.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »
If he can become a stronger finisher around the rim, he will be very effective.  When he went to the rim, it looked effortless.  After that, he looked confused.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
At the end of the year, Vander's Ortg was 24 and he was turning the ball over 47% of the time.

To show the dichotomy of Blue's frosh finish in the BE where he was mismatched, his ending Ortg was 89.1 for the season. In a half-full moment, Rel ended his debut year at 87.7. Here is to a year of maturity!

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 09:42:45 AM »
Blue is showing signs of maturity which is terrific.  Offensively, he was really bad last year.  Not sure if rock bottom is the appropriate term, but many other equivalents come to mind.  It was ugly on most levels.  Some of his stats were inflated by his easy baskets coming off defensive turnovers.  When were in an offensive set and the opposing defense was back, our eyes would not deceive us how bad it was to watch when he was in the play, at least once Big East play started.  Defensively he was strong for a freshman and that made him valuable.  However, offensively it was 4 against 5.

We will probably see an up and down year this year with moments that make us say he has finally grown up and turned the corner followed by moments that make us say he's back to playing like a freshmen.  This isn't out of character for many sophomores.

His junior and senior seasons will likely be outstanding.   
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »
Blue is showing signs of maturity which is terrific.  Offensively, he was really bad last year.  Not sure if rock bottom is the appropriate term, but many other equivalents come to mind.  It was ugly on most levels.  Some of his stats were inflated by his easy baskets coming off defensive turnovers.  When were in an offensive set and the opposing defense was back, our eyes would not deceive us how bad it was to watch when he was in the play, at least once Big East play started.  Defensively he was strong for a freshman and that made him valuable.  However, offensively it was 4 against 5.

We will probably see an up and down year this year with moments that make us say he has finally grown up and turned the corner followed by moments that make us say he's back to playing like a freshmen.  This isn't out of character for many sophomores.

His junior and senior seasons will likely be outstanding.   

This is pretty spot on. His jumper will look the same more or less all year but people will say things like "he's reverted back to last years form!" after games like monday and say things like "wow his jumper looks improved this year" after games when he hits a 3 or two.

People call him an offensive liability but I'm not so sure that's the case. In the half-court there might be better options, I agree, but what's hard to gauge is how many extra fast break points and easy transition buckets Blue gives us. As Buzz always says - the defense feeds the offense, and Blue's defense is the epitome of that.

Blue is definitely a starter, and will continue to grow as the year goes on.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
Some of his stats were inflated by his easy baskets coming off defensive turnovers. 

Isn't that the case with most guards?  Are DJO's stats inflated by easy baskets off of defensive turnovers?  Were McNeal's? James? Matthews? Dean Meminger's?  ...  That is why you compare the stats to other guards.  Sometimes they get baskets off of turnovers.  And Centers seldom shoot a 3 (except for at UW).  You could argue that inflates their stats.  But, not when you compare it to other players at the same position.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »

But he was getting on the floor right?  Pretty sure that rock bottom means you are riding the bench.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
But he was getting on the floor right?  Pretty sure that rock bottom means you are riding the bench.

Is bickering about the definition of rock bottom really an excuse to point out how Chicos secretly hates Marquette?  Therefore, whether or not he uses hyperbole is the proof?

Or are we competing to decide something much more important, such as who is better at the Internets?

I'm only interested in the latter. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »
Isn't that the case with most guards?  Are DJO's stats inflated by easy baskets off of defensive turnovers?  Were McNeal's? James? Matthews? Dean Meminger's?  ...  That is why you compare the stats to other guards.  Sometimes they get baskets off of turnovers.  And Centers seldom shoot a 3 (except for at UW).  You could argue that inflates their stats.  But, not when you compare it to other players at the same position.
I always wonder what Dominic James' shooting % would have been, if you removed his dunks and break away layups from the equation. I guessing about 20%.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
So Vander is a better Rel defensively but a lesser DJ offensively?
SS Marquette

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »
Is bickering about the definition of rock bottom really an excuse to point out how Chicos secretly hates Marquette?  Therefore, whether or not he uses hyperbole is the proof?

Or are we competing to decide something much more important, such as who is better at the Internets?

I'm only interested in the latter. 

Pretty sure that bickering implies that i've posted multiple responses on the topic. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »
Pretty sure that bickering implies that i've posted multiple responses on the topic. 

Are we now going to debate the definition of bickering?   well played, sir!

Clearly this is now a battle for the Internets.  You bring your best cat pictures and I'll bring mine.

leever

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
Can't we all just get along?  At least until after the Jacksonville game?  Then, for sure, Blue will be GREAT!  Or, he won't.  Then we can rinse and repeat after the UW game.  It's a long season.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »

Do not agree.  High profile recruits you pretty much have to play, regardless of how well they are playing.  No different than fans wanting number one draft picks to play, even if they stink up the joint.  Blue was good defensively, he was brutal offensively.  4 vs 5 in our offensive sets.  For his press clippings coming in, rock bottom or something similar was pretty close. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636