[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by The Equalizer
[June 17, 2024, 12:55:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach's Salaries  (Read 14653 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Coach's Salaries
« on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:38 PM »
It's been a way more interesting week than I thought it would--especially after both Kansas and Memphis lost and my office pool selections went down the toilet--but for some reason this coaching speculation is like waiting for election results.

Anyway, lots of money talk, so I'm looking around and came across this tabulation of what coaches make--it's not dated, from what I can tell, but I think it's for this year, with year end results:

Highest Paid: Tubby Smith, Kentucky, $2,193,150/year

Lowest Paid: Mike McConathy, Northwestern State, $104,300/year

Most Overpaid:  Jim Calhoun, Connecticut (17W 14L, Annual Pay: $1,500,000)

Most Underpaid: Gregg Marshall, Winthrop (28W 4L, Annual Pay: $224,257)

Most $/Game: Tubby Smith, Kentucky, $68,535.94/game

Least $/Game: Mike McConathy, Northwestern State, $3259.38/game

Most $/Win: Jeff Ruland, Iona,  $176,497/win (2W 28L, Annual Pay: $352,994)

Least $/Win: Scott Sutton , Oral Roberts, $5037.83/win (23W 10L, Annual Pay: $115,870)

Now go to the link for the entire chart:

http://www.worklifewizard.org/main/salarycheckerUSA/marchmadness

AND, just for private schools, TC is tops:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.view/cpid/568.htm
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Coach's Salaries
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:28:19 PM »
Those numbers at the charity site seem way off. 

According to USA Today last week, Syracuse's Boeheim makes AT LEAST $1.1 million.  Al Skinner makes at least $760K, etc, etc.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 09:22:59 AM »
I was just thinking the same thing. There is no way Jim Boeheim makes $377,000. I don't think those numbers are accuarate. Crean's salary is accurate. I just looked it up. For the year ended 6/30/05 Crean made $1,655,819. I'm assuming that number is a bit higher for 6/30/06. He also gets about 30,000 in retirement benefits paid on his behalf. The next highest paid employee is the Dean of Business who makes about $230,000. A few members of the BOT make $260,000. It's amazing to see the discrepancy between Crean and everyone else.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:30:51 AM by MilTown »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 09:28:53 AM »
The first chart seems to be accurate, but I agree that the "Charity Navigator" for privates is using old data mixed with some new. 
Ludum habemus.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 09:35:48 AM »
For those interested in MU's financial and tax data, check out this link:

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2005/390/806/2005-390806251-0202969c-9.pdf

I also looked up Boeheim. For year end 6/30/05 he was paid $377,000 according to the tax return. He also received $110,000 in retirement contributions. I would imagine that he is also paid through some other organization that is reported elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:44:35 AM by MilTown »

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:41:23 PM »
Crean is overpaid...I think he does a lot for this university and athletics department, but his salary puts him in a league I am not sure he belongs in?? Its just hard to see his salary knowing how many other areas of the university could use money.
Tradition Never Graduates..

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
Crean is overpaid...I think he does a lot for this university and athletics department, but his salary puts him in a league I am not sure he belongs in?? Its just hard to see his salary knowing how many other areas of the university could use money.

I don't buy it for one second.  If it weren't for the prominence of the basketball program and what that has led to for other areas of the university, it's not hard to argue they would be hurting even more.

You have to spend money in a big way to be a prominent program, and that's what we've done.  And most March's now we play with 64 other teams in the biggest infomercial college sports has....and that generates tremendous exposure, applications, etc.

He's earned every penny and then some. 

The second we go back to paying coaches like we used to is when we sit around with our thumb up our ass wondering every 4 years why they just left to go to Tennessee or tried to leave for Florida State, etc, etc.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 10:35:03 PM »
of course Crean is overpaid.  MU anticipated having continued success in the NCAA's after '03 and paid accordingly.  Unfortunately, there has been none.  For TC to receive 4+ times the amount Thompson does at Georgetown is criminal, especially considering the winning percentages are almost identical over almost the same number of games.  Worse, coach K has turned Duke into a dynasty (which suffered a setback year), and is not as well compensated as TC.  Remember, Duke has #'s 4, 6 and 17 in the nation coming next year.

Now, that having been said, what I'd like to see is for TC to admit that MU has been very good to him, and that he appreciates it, and feels an obligation to MU and that he won't rest until that obligation is satisfied.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 12:14:37 AM »
***TC to receive 4+ times the amount Thompson does at Georgetown is criminal, especially considering the winning percentages are almost identical over almost the same number of games.

No, its called common sense.

Until this year, Thompson had never coached a team to a final four.  My guess is that he'll get a raise next season.

Unless, of course, he's sworn that he'd never coach anywhere but the school his dad retired from.  The Jesuits aren't stupid--if Thompson isn't a threat to leave, they're not going to pay him retention-type contracts.  Maybe that offends your sense of fairness--but its the way all employers operate.

Of course, this also explains why some of the big name schools don't have to pay as much as a school like Marquette.  Since the jobs at Duke or Florida are considered "better" than MU, those programs don't have to offer as much in pay.  In other words, Crean makes $1.8 million at MU not because he delivers the same performance as Donovan at Florida but because the extra money helps overcome the negatives associated with MU.  You know:  perception of a stepping stone program, lack of media coverage, small market with less sponsorship opportunity, poor climate, more difficult recruiting due to academic standards, lacking the academic majors pre-NBA types are looking for, etc.

So, you think its criminal for JTIII to make 25% of what Crean does?  There is one and only one easy way to fix it--get Katz' headline tomorrow to read "Donavan to UK, Thompson to Florida"   

They'll fix his pay in a jiffy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 01:06:35 AM »
of course Crean is overpaid.  MU anticipated having continued success in the NCAA's after '03 and paid accordingly.  Unfortunately, there has been none.  For TC to receive 4+ times the amount Thompson does at Georgetown is criminal, especially considering the winning percentages are almost identical over almost the same number of games.  Worse, coach K has turned Duke into a dynasty (which suffered a setback year), and is not as well compensated as TC.  Remember, Duke has #'s 4, 6 and 17 in the nation coming next year.

Now, that having been said, what I'd like to see is for TC to admit that MU has been very good to him, and that he appreciates it, and feels an obligation to MU and that he won't rest until that obligation is satisfied.

Augoman, how about comparing apples to apples.  You watch, G'Town will back up the brinks truck for Thompson now...or they will lose him.

We didn't pay Crean that much either until we had gone to the Final Four...that's how it works.  So there is nothing "criminal" about it.  Thompson hadn't done anything yet, now he has and G'Town has to make the same decision we had to make.  Do you want to play with the big boys, or do you want to let your coaches come in, make a name for themselves and move on.

That is the fundamental question.  It is also the reason why Crean has been named for major jobs the last 3 years but is still at MU.  It's funny, when you pay your coach a lot of money, it makes it harder for other programs to steal them from you.  Imagine that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 08:19:53 AM »

Would you like Crean more and/or be less critical if he were paid $200,000?

I think most people really want results and just use salary because it's a convenient place to take a shot at the coach. There are some areas where I think Crean needs to improve and/or people can be critical, I don't think salary is really one of them.

I wouldn't be any less disapointed if MU lost but Crean was paid much less... and I wouldn't be any happier if MU won the national title if Crean only made $1 per year.

Oh, also, from a marketing perspective, Crean is worth every penny. You may not like the guy, but he has generated some SERIOUS revenue for the university.

If you don't believe me, ask somebody who went to school in 1998 to go back and look at the changes around campus. A lot of the $$ used to re-vamp the campus can be attributed to success on the court and the revitalization of MU hoops. Game attendance is up, enrollment is up, applications are up, donations are up, merchandising is up, MU's revenue streams are much better off now than they were in 1998 and the campus and buildings are starting to reflect that. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:24:44 AM by 2002mualum »

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 09:03:23 AM »
I agree with Marquette84. He said:

"So, you think its criminal for JTIII to make 25% of what Crean does?  There is one and only one easy way to fix it--get Katz' headline tomorrow to read "Donavan to UK, Thompson to Florida"   They'll fix his pay in a jiffy."

This is exactly how it seems to have happened with Tom Crean.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 10:16:13 AM »
great responses guys, and I appreciate/agree with most of what was said:  (however, I don't recall EVER saying I don't like Crean).  Certainly, Chicos is right-on w/ the 'brinks truck' analogy for Thompson's success.  I reiterate nevertheless, TC has been overpaid for performance the past few years.  Is it necessary to keep him?-probably.  Is it wise?- probably.  Will he earn it?- hopefully, and yes, probably!  That's my point!  MU has 'invested' in TC..., I hope he is abundantly aware of that!  Pearl has expressed his 'obligation' and attempt to justify same every day at Tenn.  I believe TC should understand this is a two way street, he's being paid in advance, that comes w/ obligation.

BTW, am I to understand that Duke's position as a basketball dynasty was an accident inherited by coach K? who enjoys easier academic standards and better weather hence easier recruiting?  Maybe not.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 11:30:15 AM »
TC has been overpaid for performance the past few years.  Is it necessary to keep him?-probably.  Is it wise?- probably.  Will he earn it?- hopefully, and yes, probably!  That's my point!  MU has 'invested' in TC..., I hope he is abundantly aware of that!  Pearl has expressed his 'obligation' and attempt to justify same every day at Tenn.  I believe TC should understand this is a two way street, he's being paid in advance, that comes w/ obligation.

I agree. As much as Crean has helped promote the program and take it to the next level, I still feel he needs to prove himself in post season play. I think we have a had a good regular season the last two years (20+ wins), but I will be in serious questioning of his ability if a team with this much talent does not prove themselves in the postseason over the next few years. Granted, you cannot place external factors (like Jerel's injury) on Crean, but for the money he is making or is "invested" in him, he needs to produce results..
Tradition Never Graduates..

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »
I think the administration grades Crean in this fashion

Be competitive
Get to the NCAA Tournament
Don't break NCAA rules
Graduate players

Success in the NCAA tournament is such a crapshoot, I just don't see throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  A first round NCAA loss doesn't mean the 24 wins you had getting there was a waste or a tarnished year.

feedback