collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What will sports broadcasting look like in 10 or 20 Years?  (Read 943 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
What will sports broadcasting look like in 10 or 20 Years?
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »
In one of the threads in the AL it stated that each Big East Basketball school receives about 1.56 million from their TV contract. My question is will we in 10 or 20 years be getting all our programming off the Internet? If so, would it be possible for each school to have its own subscription package to show all the games? I would gladly pay 100-200 dollar to see all the games. Twenty thousand MU alums at 200 a pop is 4 million. To all you IT, communications, business majors and future lawyers is this a possibility?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: What will sports broadcasting look like in 10 or 20 Years?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »
In one of the threads in the AL it stated that each Big East Basketball school receives about 1.56 million from their TV contract. My question is will we in 10 or 20 years be getting all our programming off the Internet? If so, would it be possible for each school to have its own subscription package to show all the games? I would gladly pay 100-200 dollar to see all the games. Twenty thousand MU alums at 200 a pop is 4 million. To all you IT, communications, business majors and future lawyers is this a possibility?

A lot of schools are already streaming their non-football/basketball sporting events. Marquette's been streaming every home volleyball match for free.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: What will sports broadcasting look like in 10 or 20 Years?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »
I already get all of my media from the internet.  I canceled cable over a year ago.

It still surprises me that digital subscriptions hasn't caught on with sports and paid-tv services (like HBO, yes they have their HBO Go service, but that's only for subscribers through a cable company).

I would guess that as TV contracts get negotiated in the next 5-10 years, they will split the OTA contract rights and the digital-distribution rights.  Hopefully they either hold onto their own  digital-distribution rights, or sell them to non-Television entities.  ESPN has been successfully negotiating digital distribution rights with their ESPN3 product, but you still need to be a cable subscriber to gain access.  I'd much rather pay ESPN $20 a year to watch games than pay Time Warner Cable $30 a year for a ton of channels playing BS 24/7.