collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Unguarded"  (Read 4341 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
"Unguarded"
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »
Anyone else watch this ESPN Film about the life of Chris Herren?

Thoughts on the special, I thought it was one of the best ones done by ESPN - very good... Award winning good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
Re: "Unguarded"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
Meant to tape it but forgot to and regretted it right away when I got home.  Anybody know when it's scheduled to be back on?  Saw him talk on ESPN earlier today.  Crazy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
Very moving story on a former McDonald's All American whose life when down the drain for substance abuse.  Recruited by everyone, he decided to stay at home and attend Boston College.  Still hangs out with his hometown buddies and the partying/drugs catch up to him.  Tark the Shark takes him at Fresno State, some of his hometown buddies move out to Fresno and it starts all over again.  Still don't understand why the buddies moved 3,000 away to stay with a college athlete and the feature never followed up on that.  Herren went 15 more years with substance abuse problems.

Herren was an excellent presenter of his story and the director utilized his skills by having Herren basically narrate his problem as opposed to a "storyteller" voice.

His wife standing by his side throughout the years for the sake of the family was unreal.

The real backside of the feature is the fact Herren was a white kid from the suburbs and not from an urban setting.  There have been numerous other basketball phenoms who have faced the identical, if not worse, substance abuse and or criminal problems then Herren, but this feature showed it could happen to anyone.  

Was worth watching and the one thought that keeps coming back to me is whether things would have been different if Herren had went away to a different college than BC, away from his buddies.  Like he said in the film, "I wish I had 1994 all over again".  I believe he would have not stayed home. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »
He spoke to the athletes at MU about a month ago I think.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
One other MU note.  At the end, Herren is holding a b-ball practice in a gym and one of the kids has a gold MU b-ball shirt on. 

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
He spoke to the athletes at MU about a month ago I think.

I hope he did better than Peter King.
-Media and technology was different 15 years ago
-Media and technology will be different 15 years from now

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:30:23 AM by Blue Horseshoe »

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
I don't have cable but it seems I'll have to get around to watching this online sometime...great story, from reviews I've read.  I wikipedia'd him and it's crazy that he got arrested at the Dunkin' Donuts I used to get coffee at after school (I was a Navy brat, went to Portsmouth High School in Portsmouth RI, very close to where he went to high school).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
If memory recalls, UW was in his final few schools coming out of high school.  That was during the Stu Jackson era - I think he would have been in the same class as Sam Okey.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
I hope he did better than Peter King.
-Media and technology was different 15 years ago
-Media and technology will be different 15 years from now

Excellent! 
Other PK talking points:

-Citrusy beer is tasty.
-Starbucks: great coffee, or GREATEST coffee?
-Can't believe no one has signed Tiki Barber yet
-Rude passengers on the Acela train
-The campus needs more Nard-dog and Funkhauser.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/tag/fun-with-peter-king

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
- Marquette might be the 5th best team in the Big East. Maybe.
- The Milwaukee Hilton has a delightful indoor water park.
- I asked Bob Uecker about the Brewers' chances of keeping Prince Fielder.
- Part of me misses Packer games at old county Stadium.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:41:55 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
Very moving story on a former McDonald's All American whose life when down the drain for substance abuse.  Recruited by everyone, he decided to stay at home and attend Boston College.  Still hangs out with his hometown buddies and the partying/drugs catch up to him.  Tark the Shark takes him at Fresno State, some of his hometown buddies move out to Fresno and it starts all over again.  Still don't understand why the buddies moved 3,000 away to stay with a college athlete and the feature never followed up on that.  Herren went 15 more years with substance abuse problems.

Herren was an excellent presenter of his story and the director utilized his skills by having Herren basically narrate his problem as opposed to a "storyteller" voice.

His wife standing by his side throughout the years for the sake of the family was unreal.

The real backside of the feature is the fact Herren was a white kid from the suburbs and not from an urban setting.  There have been numerous other basketball phenoms who have faced the identical, if not worse, substance abuse and or criminal problems then Herren, but this feature showed it could happen to anyone.  

Was worth watching and the one thought that keeps coming back to me is whether things would have been different if Herren had went away to a different college than BC, away from his buddies.  Like he said in the film, "I wish I had 1994 all over again".  I believe he would have not stayed home. 

Who?  Which bball phenoms have had a worse substance abuse problem?  The guy was on heroin and playing games on oxycodone.  Alcohol sure....plenty of guys but Herren is in a league of his own.  Okey and Herren could have scored big at UW. ;)

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
One other MU note.  At the end, Herren is holding a b-ball practice in a gym and one of the kids has a gold MU b-ball shirt on. 

Yeah, I noticed that too, tweeted a screen grab:

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »

hey thanks for highlighting this story-i'm online right now buying the book.  i hope they re-run the documentary again soon.  can only find snippets of it online-great story.  hope he hangs in there and from the sounds of it so far, he has the right attitude-ya never really win, but you find more rewards in staying sober than you do high and they can continue to get better.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 02:37:44 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that too, tweeted a screen grab:

Doesn't that kid look like a young Allie McGuire?
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
Allie's right handed. Kinda looks like a well built Riley.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback