Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJO's chances in the NBA  (Read 3462 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
DJO's chances in the NBA
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »
Since there is now a lull in between Marquette Madness and 11/11, I broke down each aspects of DJO's game and wrote about how it could/will translate to the NBA. It's a bit of a shameless plug, but I think it's a good discussion.

Will DJO make it in the NBA? Obviously he has a whole season to improve further on aspects of his game, but what do you all think?

http://blogs.marquettetribune.org/2011/10/18/paint-touches/paint-touches-djo-to-the-nba/

RyanConroy

Re: DJO's chances in the NBA
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
If he shoots around 40% from three, I don't think there's much a a question he'll be drafted. He's solid defensively, multi-talented offensively, and already has a pretty big body for his size.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »
If he shoots around 40% from three, I don't think there's much a a question he'll be drafted. He's solid defensively, multi-talented offensively, and already has a pretty big body for his size.

Bolded for importance.  DJO is simply too short to play the 2 in the NBA.  Unless he becomes some sort of shooting monster (like Steph Curry) a lot of teams will pass.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
He needs to work on his ball handling, but he's physical and a hard worker. He is also seems prone to prolonged slumps.

My guess is he'll be drafted in the high second round. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
He needs to work on his ball handling, but he's physical and a hard worker. He is also seems prone to prolonged slumps.

My guess is he'll be drafted in the high second round. 

I tend to agree where he will be drafted.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »
Don't apologize for the plug, strotty ... links make the world go 'round! As a former Tribuner -- long, long ago, part of the first group ever to use computers! -- I commend you for a well-written, reasoned article.

As for DJO, his ballhandling and passing need to get much better and he needs to shoot lights-out from 3. The NBA is full of explosive guards with great first steps, and most are either much taller than 6-2 or great-passing point guards (or both).

I sure will enjoy watching him for one more year at MU, though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:47 AM »
Bolded for importance.  DJO is simply too short to play the 2 in the NBA.  Unless he becomes some sort of shooting monster (like Steph Curry) a lot of teams will pass.

100% agree. It seems silly, but 2" would make a enormous difference for him (same could be said for Ziggy).

He has NBA range (albeit streaky), he's physically strong enough, his handle is good enough, and he's a decent passer. Defense has been decent.

At 6 4" or 6 5" he's a 1st round prospect. At 6'2", he's a second round prospect that is going to have to excel greatly in one area to play in the league (probably defense or shooting).

Great college player. Would take guards like him everyday of the week.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »
Two inches on Zar and DJO would have made them lottery picks, but they probably wouldn't have been at Marquette, either.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
Could one of the mods setup a "StrottySays" account so that Mark doesn't have to shamelessly plug his work here?

IMO, at this point Strotty > Enlund.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »
Two inches on Zar and DJO would have made them lottery picks, but they probably wouldn't have been at Marquette, either.

One inch would make a difference for DJO. Wade's 6'3" and was fifth overall. DJO has similar driving ability, is a better long-range shooter, and close as a rebounder when on his game. Not as good a defender or passer yet, but enough talent to be a first round lock at 6'3" and probably a lottery pick at 6'4".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
One inch would make a difference for DJO. Wade's 6'3" and was fifth overall. DJO has similar driving ability, is a better long-range shooter, and close as a rebounder when on his game. Not as good a defender or passer yet, but enough talent to be a first round lock at 6'3" and probably a lottery pick at 6'4".
I love DJO...one of my favorites at MU ever...but he's nowhere near Wade. Not even close in any category other than shooting. A better comparison for him is Jerel McNeal. I would take Darius over Jerel in virtually every category and I believe he's more desirable at the next level because of his build, his tenacity and the fact that he's left handed makes him a more awkward matchup for people.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 12:59:56 PM »
Could one of the mods setup a "StrottySays" account so that Mark doesn't have to shamelessly plug his work here?

IMO, at this point Strotty > Enlund.

I would consider that, but it looks like they only have a single RSS feed for all the blogs - if there ever is a  PT specific feed...let me know.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
Where he gets drafted I dont know...obviously the season and then the pre-draft stuff will have alot to do with that.  I dont know how many of you went to or watched Marquette Madness.  But when I watched the pros play the scrimmage against the Mu players DJO was clearly capable of playing with the pros.  Now I fully understand it was a scrimmage, but DJO shot the ball, drove the ball, etc. like a pro. U could have put a yellow shirt on DJO and brought in an unsuspecting basketball fan and they would have thought he was a pro.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
I would consider that, but it looks like they only have a single RSS feed for all the blogs - if there ever is a  PT specific feed...let me know.

We're working on moving everything over to a Paint Touches specific site: http://painttouches.wordpress.com/. Right now we put everything on both, but by the start of basketball season everything will just be on the PT specific site. Not sure if that helps.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
I love DJO...one of my favorites at MU ever...but he's nowhere near Wade. Not even close in any category other than shooting. A better comparison for him is Jerel McNeal. I would take Darius over Jerel in virtually every category and I believe he's more desirable at the next level because of his build, his tenacity and the fact that he's left handed makes him a more awkward matchup for people.

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »
Jimmy got drafted because of his defense, he was viewed as a good role player,  and the weak draft class. The fact that Jimmy drew the tough defense assignments is telling. I think DJO is below average defensively and at times a selfish player (and viewed as much by scouts). His shooting is spotty like most D1 guards. His draft class will be better.    I think he has tons of potential and should be an NBA player based on his skills, but he has not shown enough differentiators that would make him a second round pick yet. I would take Jerel McNeal at MU or the NBA over DJO anyday.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
Jimmy got drafted because of his defense, he was viewed as a good role player,  and the weak draft class. The fact that Jimmy drew the tough defense assignments is telling. I think DJO is below average defensively and at times a selfish player (and viewed as much by scouts). His shooting is spotty like most D1 guards. His draft class will be better.    I think he has tons of potential and should be an NBA player based on his skills, but he has not shown enough differentiators that would make him a second round pick yet. I would take Jerel McNeal at MU or the NBA over DJO anyday.

Cuple of things you are absolutely dead wrong on....
1.  DJO is not selfish.  Not at all.  Funny that you compare him to Jerel...maybe the most selfish player in the last 25 years at MU.

2. Additioanlly, his shooting is not "spotty"  his avergae was lower last year but relative to other top shooting guards still very good.   He had a poor 8 or so game stretch last year  while transistioning from a role player to a star, after that he shot the ball extremeley well.  So for 60 of his 70 game career except for an 8 or so game stretch to begin his Junior year he has been an outstanding shooter.  Not spotty, but outstanding.   

3.  Jerel is not in the NBA becuase of his selfishness and basketball IQ.  DJO has a good bBAll IQ and is not selfish.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »
For him to be a lock in the draft, he needs to:

- lock down big name guards
- demonstrate his ball handling skills
- increase his all-around game (assists and rebounds) Wade did that while at MU
- refine his mid-range game
- lead this team to the Title ;)
SS Marquette

LON

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »

You really feel that way?

The only glaring thing I'd take of Jerel's game (entering his Senior season) over DJO would be the mid-range game.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »
When I think of DJO's game, I think of a poor man's Ben Gordon. I had to look up his bio to remember that he left after his junior year and was the third overall pick in the draft. He was listed at 6'3" but wasnt as built as DJO is now. Gordon had a better outside shot and maybe better leadership skills (intangibles). He was probably quicker than DJO but not as athletic. His D was a bit more consistent as well as his offense but if DJO can play from start  to finish this year, I think he balances that out. To think that Gordon was taken with the 3rd over pick is crazy. He was a great sixth man on terrible Bulls teams and was brought in to score in bunches. That could be DJO's role in the NBA as well - a gunner off the bench that can provide a spark. He obviously wont be a lottery pick....and Im sure the Bulls wish they could have a mulligan with regard to Gordon, but I dont see a reason why DJO cant have a similar career. Im expecting him to be picked in the last 5 of the first or the first five of the second round.