[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 204299 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 26 years ago today...
« Reply #550 on: October 19, 2019, 10:57:29 AM »

+ 100.  The elite always know better than the commoners and they make super duper decisions.

So, when Travis Diener or anyone else under 40 has a thought contrary to your own, they're "young and dumb."
And then you post this?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #551 on: October 19, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
So, when Travis Diener or anyone else under 40 has a thought contrary to your own, they're "young and dumb."
And then you post this?

I think sarcasm is lost on you.

I also don’t believe MU82 based on 2005 article.  Maybe he was for it before he was against it? 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:21:43 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #552 on: October 19, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
Not long after the vote, I asked Diener, then a backup PG with the Pacers, which name he picked.

"Golden Eagles," he said. "That's all I know, and that's what I want to be."

Most people younger than 40 could give a rat's rump that we were Warriors when I and Doc and Lenny and Goose and so many other Scoopers attended Marquette. Forty years from now -- and actually, probably a lot sooner than that -- most won't even know we were ever the Warriors.

I liked being the Warriors. If there was more of a will to do so at the time, the school possibly could have saved the name minus the imagery. But they didn't, and that's that.

Frankly, in 2019, it's hard to believe this is even a "thing" for MU folks any more.

Then there is this from the Chicago Tribune...

It is not the way the great Warriors’ warrior--yes, Diener prefers Marquette’s former nickname, Warriors, to the current Golden Eagles--would have chosen to end it.

Until this season, Diener had never missed a basketball game because of injury. For Lent, “I gave up not getting injured,” he joked. (Avani Patel, Tribune staff reporter. Chicago Tribune. Chicago, Ill.: Mar 8, 2005. pg. 6)

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #553 on: October 20, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »

Then there is this from the Chicago Tribune...

It is not the way the great Warriors’ warrior--yes, Diener prefers Marquette’s former nickname, Warriors, to the current Golden Eagles--would have chosen to end it.

Until this season, Diener had never missed a basketball game because of injury. For Lent, “I gave up not getting injured,” he joked. (Avani Patel, Tribune staff reporter. Chicago Tribune. Chicago, Ill.: Mar 8, 2005. pg. 6)

I asked him myself, he answered, I recorded it and I wrote it.

Of course, Warriors was not a choice offered by MU for the name, and that was the question I asked him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #554 on: October 20, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
I asked him myself, he answered, I recorded it and I wrote it.

Of course, Warriors was not a choice offered by MU for the name, and that was the question I asked him.

Maybe you should have asked him what he preferred....like many of us, we wrote in Warriors because the other choices were pathetic.

Good to see even the under 40 year olds got it right. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: 27 years ago today...
« Reply #555 on: October 12, 2020, 09:21:35 AM »
27 years.  The flame still burns.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #556 on: October 12, 2020, 12:37:31 PM »
I still blame Al...
Al DiUlio, that is.

Who was the worst President in MU history DiUlio or Pilarz? 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:42:20 PM by 94Warrior »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #557 on: October 12, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »
The Yellow!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #558 on: October 12, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »
Should've at least changed back to the Hilltoppers.  At least that's somewhat unique.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #559 on: October 12, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »
Should've at least changed back to the Hilltoppers.  At least that's somewhat unique.

That was what I voted for.

To my knowledge, Western Kentucky is the only D1 school with that nickname. There are about 842 Eagles or Golden Eagles.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #560 on: October 12, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
I wanted the Inquisition after a period in time brought to you by the Jesuits.

Or, the Flames, after what was done to Joan of Arc, whose chapel is the centerpiece of our campus.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #561 on: October 13, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »

This is why Golden Eagles is so loathed.  It represents nothing of our school or our geographic area.  Hilltoppers, Explorers or Golden Avalanche would have been much better to align with our "independent brand".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:54:00 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #562 on: October 13, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »
This is why Golden Eagles is so laothed.  It represents nothing of our school or our geographic area.  Hilltoppers, Explorers or Golden Avalanche would have been much better to align with our "independent brand".

Golden Eagles is lame.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #563 on: October 13, 2020, 05:35:34 PM »
I wanted the Inquisition after a period in time brought to you by the Jesuits.

Or, the Flames, after what was done to Joan of Arc, whose chapel is the centerpiece of our campus.

Well, the center of campus was the Avalanche Bar, which is why the Golden Avalanche had resonance. But, lo and behold, it too was bulldozed in the middle of the night like the Warriors/Gold fiascos, FFP and the KoC mansion. Alumni engagement hasn't been a traditional strength over the decades. Basketball has been the stitch holding things together.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #564 on: October 13, 2020, 06:00:12 PM »
Well, the center of campus was the Avalanche Bar, which is why the Golden Avalanche had resonance. But, lo and behold, it too was bulldozed in the middle of the night like the Warriors/Gold fiascos, FFP and the KoC mansion. Alumni engagement hasn't been a traditional strength over the decades. Basketball has been the stitch holding things together.

If FFP referrs to the Freshman Frontier Program, that's still there. https://www.marquette.edu/ffp/
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #565 on: October 13, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
If FFP referrs to the Freshman Frontier Program, that's still there. https://www.marquette.edu/ffp/

Thankfully restored after its was Pilarzed.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #566 on: October 14, 2020, 06:54:48 AM »
It’s not the same FFP.

FFP before, as we all know, was to give kids a shot at attending MU who wouldn’t normally get in. It was a chance to enroll early for a couple summer classes and get used to college life and get acclimated with MU.

Now it’s for kids who want to get a head start on college and could’ve easily gotten into MU without FFP.

I’m a proud alum of FFP and the fact that it’s gone is a travesty
Bring back FFP!!!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #567 on: October 14, 2020, 07:58:57 AM »
It’s not the same FFP.

FFP before, as we all know, was to give kids a shot at attending MU who wouldn’t normally get in. It was a chance to enroll early for a couple summer classes and get used to college life and get acclimated with MU.

Now it’s for kids who want to get a head start on college and could’ve easily gotten into MU without FFP.

I’m a proud alum of FFP and the fact that it’s gone is a travesty

I don't think the bolded is entirely accurate.  Sure Marquette admits the students prior to them attending the program (the marketplace pretty much demands they do that), but this program is pushed for those who are on the academic margins. I mean, it is run by the same people who deal with students who have academic issues during the year.

You just can't run the same programs you did decades ago without changing them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #568 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
VERY SAD DAY IN MARQUETTE HISTORY.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: 29 years ago today...
« Reply #569 on: October 12, 2022, 07:44:46 AM »
29 years.  Never surrender.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #570 on: October 12, 2022, 08:13:06 AM »
This is why Golden Eagles is so laothed.  It represents nothing of our school or our geographic area.  Hilltoppers, Explorers or Golden Avalanche would have been much better to align with our "independent brand".
[/quote

This.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #571 on: October 12, 2022, 08:36:34 AM »
29 years.  Never surrender.

I don't see anything for 2021. You're slipping mate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #572 on: October 12, 2022, 11:09:24 AM »
MU has a proud history of changing its nickname.  Next year, after 30 years, we should change again.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #573 on: October 12, 2022, 11:15:21 AM »
To go from Warriors to Golden Eagles.  Yikes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #574 on: October 12, 2022, 11:30:07 AM »
To go from Warriors to the Gold to Golden Eagles.  Yikes.

FTFY can't forget the process!

feedback