Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A sign of ND's intentions?  (Read 3752 times)

Pakuni

• All American
A sign of ND's intentions?
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
Notre Dame announced today that it's joining the Hockey East conference beginning in the 2013-14 season. The announcement comes about six months after the Big 1? announced it would form its own hockey league for 2013-14, starting a hockey version of what's been happening in football/hoops these past several months.

Is it safe to assume that if ND is joining another conference for hockey, it won't be joining the Big 1? for football or any other sport anytime soon?
This, obviously, doesn't preclude ND from joining the ACC or any other non-hockey conference, but it looks like the Big 1? probably is out of the picture for the time being.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/05/college-hockey-notre-dame-set-to-join-hockey-east-in-2013-2014/

Benny B

• All American
Re: A sign of ND's intentions?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
I think this move falls into the category of "if it is, it is; if it isn't, who knows."

In other words, if it were the other way around and ND was joining the big conference of 6 for hockey, the writing would pretty much be on the wall.  But because they're not, it's really doesn't indicate anything.

I'm sure the Big 1? would take them minus hockey right now in a heartbeat.  They could always pull hockey into the fold later.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
B10 hockey doesn't start for a couple of years anyway. Interesting that they waited this long. Makes you wonder...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »
B10 hockey doesn't start for a couple of years anyway. Interesting that they waited this long. Makes you wonder...

Notre Dame will join Hockey East the same year Big 1? hockey starts.

Of course it coould all mean nothing, but why would Notre Dame go to all the trouble of joining one conference for hockey if they ultimately intend to join another conference (which features hockey) for their other sports?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:02:55 PM »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
I think this move falls into the category of "if it is, it is; if it isn't, who knows."

In other words, if it were the other way around and ND was joining the big conference of 6 for hockey, the writing would pretty much be on the wall.  But because they're not, it's really doesn't indicate anything.

I'm sure the Big 1? would take them minus hockey right now in a heartbeat.  They could always pull hockey into the fold later.

Don't know that I agree with the conclusion.  The Big 1? specifically formed it's own league for hockey.  All Big 1? members left their conference to join.  ND is joining Hockey East the same year that the Big 1? start' it's league.  The Big 1? is pushing this league - likely for revenue purposes on the Big 1? Network and with other Big 1? schools adding (Penn St.) hockey.  If ND were to move to the Big 1?, they would want the hockey to be included.  I would suspect ND would rather, in that case, be a part of Big 1? Hockey than Hockey East as well.

I agree with the thought that this likely means the Big 1? is out for ND - at least for now.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
Notre Dame will never join the Big 10 in any sport.

They are still holding a grudge from long ago when the Big 10 was first being formulated.  They wanted in but because of their Catholic roots and recent football results vs. Michigan, they were denied admission, largely because of Michigan.  In fact they were scheduled to play Michigan one year and found out on the train ride to Ann Arbor that Michigan cancelled the game.  After that Michigan refused to play them for 30-40 (or more) years.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:46:03 AM »
About 90% of what's holding the Big East together is arrogance.

Arrogance of Texas to not want to split revenue with Pac-12 teams (would have set off the Super Conf domino's)
Arrogance of ND not to join what is perceived as the best conference in collegiate athletics
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
Don't know that I agree with the conclusion.  The Big 1? specifically formed it's own league for hockey.  All Big 1? members left their conference to join.  ND is joining Hockey East the same year that the Big 1? start' it's league.  The Big 1? is pushing this league - likely for revenue purposes on the Big 1? Network and with other Big 1? schools adding (Penn St.) hockey.  If ND were to move to the Big 1?, they would want the hockey to be included.  I would suspect ND would rather, in that case, be a part of Big 1? Hockey than Hockey East as well.

I agree with the thought that this likely means the Big 1? is out for ND - at least for now.

All I'm saying is that ND's move to Hockey East might mean something or it might not mean anything.  Bottom line is that joining HE doesn't preclude them from joining the Big 1? a day, year or century from now; however, if they had joined Big 1? hockey, then it would be quite the opposite - a strong indicator of an inevitable move.

Moral of story: I wouldn't read too much into it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »
however, if they had joined Big 1? hockey, then it would be quite the opposite - a strong indicator of an inevitable move.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure to join the Big 1? hockey conference you would already have to be a member of the Big 1?.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:02:00 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »
Correct.  ND was never invited to be a "hockey only" member of the B10.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:03:13 PM »
Is it safe to assume that if ND is joining another conference for hockey, it won't be joining the Big 1? for football or any other sport anytime soon?
This, obviously, doesn't preclude ND from joining the ACC or any other non-hockey conference, but it looks like the Big 1? probably is out of the picture for the time being.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/05/college-hockey-notre-dame-set-to-join-hockey-east-in-2013-2014/

Remember, this is conference re-alignment, TCU being extended an offer to join the Big East, and accepting the offer means they could join the Big 12. I wish I could that in teal. That's how crazy this crap is. Stranger than fiction.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »
Correct.  ND was never invited to be a "hockey only" member of the B10.

Would any school ever be invited as a "hockey only" member of the B10?  Just saying that these Big 10 schools left some very established/power conferences to join the Big 10 hockey conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
No...they have talked about establishing some scheduling agreements, but no one has, or would be, invited as a hockey only member.  While they did leave some power conferences, the CCHA was gutted with the loss of Michigan and MSU.  The WCHA still has some power with North Dakota, Duluth, Denver and Colorado College, but Minnesota and UW were the two of the larger powers in the conference.

Notre Dame's other option was the National Colligiate Hockey Conference, which is taking basically the top of what is left between the WCHA and CCHA.  Apparently now the CCHA will basically fold the rest of its members into the WCHA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Collegiate_Hockey_Conference