Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WVU denied SEC?  (Read 2935 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
WVU denied SEC?
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:56:41 PM »

Sources tell BearcatLair.com that West Virginia's application for admittance into the SEC has been denied.

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Article/Big-East-stil-alive-620-UPDATE-40684

Litehouse

• All American
Re: WVU denied SEC?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
I don't think the SEC really wants to expand and it seems like A&M is being forced on them.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
WVU's girls aren't hot enough to be in the SEC.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
Everything I've read is SEC will take A&M and Va Tech.  WVU doesn't make sense in a football-centric conference.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

RyanConroy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
That is a HUGE development for the life of the Big East.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
I wonder if there has been some heat applied to the "Super Conferences".  There are risks with what has transpired - politically and to reputation.  Right now the ACC is taking some hits in the media for the raid.  They may not have anticipated such.  Are some political winds scaring off some of these leagues as well?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »
I think the SEC has a vision and isn't going to be reactionary and give away the league treasure for no reason. They don't need to. The ACC acted opportunistically and overpaid for what they are getting in return. They had to as they were desperate and in danger of wilting (see recent overall football and basketball, and the UNC and Miami scandals). The question at hand is if WVU seeming rejection is because Mizzu is next in line...or Texas? 

If the BE survives with a just as strong football footprint, or stronger with TCU and Mizzu, the BE may actually ink a larger media deal as the TV markets are indeed better, and audience involvement higher (if Mizzu stays).  In terms of TV, the two time zones may actually help earn more BE airtime like current where there are the 6PM and 8PM staggered starts for ESPN games.

Does Buzz play a role here with his Self, Martin, Texas ties?   

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
Would the SEC take OU and OSU?  That seems like a better fit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
OU doesn't want to go to the SEC...going with Texas to the Pac-12 is pretty much their dream scenario.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 09:27:59 PM »
Don't sleep on Florida State as a 14th SEC school. They're better off there for both football and hoops and would be far more attractive to SEC schools than WVU or Mizzou. Only real stumbling block would be Florida's likely resistance to it.

Oh, and it would be delicious to see the ACC raid the Big East only to watch its premiere football program walk out.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
SEC remains our key friend in all of this
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »
As I've posted many times from my desk here 2 miles from Auburn's stadium - the SEC is our friend.

1. They are very wary of expansion, though admittedly it may be forced on them.

2. they have always (and I mean for 70 years) viewed the Big Ten-Pac 10 Rose Bowl alliance as their enemy, and blame those two for disrupting a BCS system that they like.

3. Even with all the logical reasons for Texas A&M, they immediately backed up when BAYLOR said they wouldn't give up their right to sue, because so many of their schools weren't wild about adding A&M in the first place even though they viewed them as the best option if they had to take one.

4. Notice the Big East was the only BCS who didn't sign off on the rebuke of the NCAA on Cam Newton being allowed to play.

5. The SEC-Big East basketball challenge.

6. Can't tell you how many SEC guys I've heard say, "screw this, let's keep our 12 and end the season with the SEC championship." (which they all believe is the national championship even when it isn't).

7. If they have turned down WVU, that is certainly another bond between the best football conference with very marginal basketball, and the best basketball conference with marginal football.

Also, don't believe it is 100% football.  Syracuse and Pitt?  I'm sorry, down here people hardly know either still has a football team.  The fact is the ACC has always prided itself as being THE basketball conference too, and when they set dominos in place in 2005 that relegated them to 2nd best in hoops, they hated it.  You see how their coaches was UConn, the national champion.

I don't know how this all ends this month and year, but having the SEC with their string of BCS championships as the only conference to ever get big enough to look the Big Ten in the eye is a good thing.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
Texas A&M to the Big East?