Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another Conference Rumor  (Read 5110 times)

GGGG

• All American
Another Conference Rumor
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
Texas and ND to ACC for non-football sports...both will be independent in football.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:30:56 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Another Conference Rumor
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
Interesting comments from the AD...you really get the feeling that he's surprised, but doesn't really care, as football is all that matters. 

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
Rumors about Rutgers to Big Twelve as well...

http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266435

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »
ACC isn't stopping at 14. UConn and WVU are going to the ACC as well. Conference will be split North/South.

North-Pitt, Cuse, UConn, BC, WVU, Maryland, UVA, VA Tech
South-Duke, UNC, NC St, GT, Mia, Clem, Wake, FSU

ACC is insisting all members be in EST zone. If they want to push to 18 (which is a possibility), it'd be ND and Rutgers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Rutgers has been "in contact with influential members among Big Ten schools and the conference administration" regarding conference expansion since Penn State joined.

I would be surprised, but after today's developments, who knows.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
ACC isn't stopping at 14. UConn and WVU are going to the ACC as well. Conference will be split North/South.

I was under the impression the ACC didn't much like UCONN after their resistance to the last round of takeovers. It would make sense to take UCONN but the people at the Cuse board were pretty unanimous in saying the ACC wouldn't take the Huskies.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:58:04 PM »
I've heard for years about Rutgers trying to get in the Big "10" as well.

Be interesting as hell to see which BCS football schools get left without a chair once the music stops. Heard from someone I trust that ND is going to meet this week and review their options, feeling is they now have to fully join a conference.

What will happen to Kansas, K State, Iowa St, Rutgers, Missouri, BYU, Baylor, TX Tech? If PAC 12 goes to 16, is it BYU and Texas Tech? Colorado and Utah both strongly against the Oklahoma schools joining. Guess is Mizzou finds a soft landing either in Big "10" or SEC.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »
Dish, I cannot imagine a scenario where current BCS schools are left without a BCS autobid conference.  The lawsuit that would result would be monumental.  I think that a merger of the BE football schools and the B12 remnants is completely possible because of this.

If that indeed happens, I would rather MU remain in a conference with the likes of Georgetown and Nova.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 10:07:52 PM »
More on ND...

Heard that the feeling is there will eventually be 4 super football conferences (ACC, SEC, Big "10", PAC 12/14/16). Instead of a playoff, there will eventually be a Plus 1 model for football, involving the 4 conference winners. In essence, there will be a kind of football playoff. Essentially the conference title games would be a quarterfinal, then the bowls serve as a semi-finals, and the plus 1 title game.

ND would get no guarantee as an independent, nor would Texas, in this model. It keeps all tv revenue tied to the 4 conferences. Also shuts out the likes of a team like Boise St or TCU from crashing the party.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
The real question under that scenario is whether or not those super-conferences remain within the NCAA.  I think they will...and MU will be fine under that scenario...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think MU will be alright. There's too many schools like MU in the exact same boat. As long as the super conferences don't break away from the NCAA, MU will land on it's feet in a quality basketball conference.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think MU will be alright. There's too many schools like MU in the exact same boat. As long as the super conferences don't break away from the NCAA, MU will land on it's feet in a quality basketball conference.

But they will breakaway
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »
my 'pretty easy' prediction:

Pitt, Cuse, UConn, RU to ACC.
WVU to ACC
UL, UC and TCU to B12
USF is SOL.

BE becomes bball only. I thought this would take many years to develop but it appears it will happen within a week or two.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
Fine with me. College football is absolutely meaningless to me and millions and millions of people who live or lived on the East Coast.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »
my 'pretty easy' prediction:

Pitt, Cuse, UConn, RU to ACC.
WVU to ACC
UL, UC and TCU to B12
USF is SOL.

BE becomes bball only. I thought this would take many years to develop but it appears it will happen within a week or two.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 picked up USF as well.  I think the only question is if the Big East's previous plan of inviting all the Big 12 leftovers is still intact or if it'll happen the other way around...hoping it's the former and we're left with the basketball schools who can add 4-6 solid programs and have a pretty nice basketball conference.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
But they will breakaway
Will they?

I won't pretend to understand the Sherman Act or why/how sports have exempted themselves from it. But, it seems to me that the NCAA has goodwill among the sports-loving populace (including university presidents). If schools and conferences were to further breakaway from the NCAA, might the grumblings about the BCS turn into something more?

Seems to me there is a lot of short term money to be made, but it comes at the expense of long-term stability. I guess that's capitalism at it's finest.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 11:09:58 AM »
sorry, meant WVU to SEC

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »

ND would get no guarantee as an independent, nor would Texas, in this model. It keeps all tv revenue tied to the 4 conferences. Also shuts out the likes of a team like Boise St or TCU from crashing the party.

I'm no lawyer, but I would be curious to get someone with a legal background to comment on this. In theory if you had 4 super conferences that would shut out the "independents", couldn't you file an anti-trust lawsuit against these conferences?  Obviously college sports are treated like a business, seeking maximum revenues etc...but the creation of 4 super conferences would essentially being a monopoly of tv revenues etc.  These 4 super conferences would also have a unfair advantage with recruiting too.

Just thoughts. Debate away...

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
Who the F* cares about the legal aspect???!!! The schools that sued BC and the ACC fought in court for 2.5 years and won $5M....split multiple ways. Is it worth it? No way!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
Who the F* cares about the legal aspect???!!! The schools that sued BC and the ACC fought in court for 2.5 years and won $5M....split multiple ways. Is it worth it? No way!

What kind of jerk response is that?  I can name you a few corporations that would say anti-trust lawsuits should be taken seriously. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »
I haven't read the article yet, but the newest The Atlantic has a cover story titled "The Shame of College Sports".  There's a photo callout on former UCLA player Ed O'Bannon involved in a class action lawsuit that says if victorious it will radically change the NCAA.  I'm curious to read it.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
What kind of jerk response is that?  I can name you a few corporations that would say anti-trust lawsuits should be taken seriously. 

At the end of the day, did those schools win anything? $5M split several ways, excluding attorney fees for 2.5 years.

yeah, big whirlwind!

There Is a $5M exit fee for the BE. I guess I wonder how many donors it will take to reach that amount at Pitt and Cuse? Over/Under is at 5. Taking bets now.

BME to MD

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
At the end of the day, did those schools win anything?

The more important questions is: Did those schools really lose anything?  Not really becase the Big East continued to be successful. 

However, consider how much would schools across the country lose if the top 64 consolidated and barred non-member programs from post-season play.  Hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
At the end of the day, did those schools win anything? $5M split several ways, excluding attorney fees for 2.5 years.

yeah, big whirlwind!

There Is a $5M exit fee for the BE. I guess I wonder how many donors it will take to reach that amount at Pitt and Cuse? Over/Under is at 5. Taking bets now.

Grow up.  Taking bets that your comments have nothing to do with what the original post was talking about...a monoply/anti-trust lawsuit.  That has nothing to do with an exit fee, and no one is coming close to claiming that $5 mil. per school will keep them in the BEAST.

If you want to talk exit fee you could also consider the 2+ years of notice required by the current language...

feedback