Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN: Pitt and Cuse in discussions with ACC  (Read 11812 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
ESPN: Pitt and Cuse in discussions with ACC
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »
Per ESPN Bottom Line.

Combine with any other thread if this has been posted anywhere else.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

KC_Warrior

• Starter
Re: ESPN: Pitt and Cuse in discussions with ACC
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
Not good.  If the Cuse & Pitt leave, the dominos will begin to fall.  A bball schools only conference would probably be imminent.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
Uh oh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sports/ncaafootball/syracuse-and-pitt-in-talks-with-acc.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.
By PETE THAMEL

Syracuse University and the University of Pittsburgh, two bedrock members of the Big East Conference, are engaged in talks about joining the Atlantic Coast Conference, according to a person with direct knowledge of the talks.

No one from Pittsburgh, Syracuse or the A.C.C. denied the conversations were taking place. Officials from all three entities declined to comment on the matter.

The person with knowledge of the talks declined to speculate on a timetable or the seriousness of the discussions. But in this delicate time for conferences and their futures, the discussions between the 12-team A.C.C. and two Big East members are significant.

The talks show how the trend toward 16-team super conferences, which has concerned many college athletic officials, appears to be inching closer to reality. If Syracuse and Pittsburgh switch, the move will be difficult for the Big East to overcome.

Syracuse is a founding member, and Pittsburgh joined the league in 1982, three years after it formed.

The Pittsburgh chancellor, Mark Nordenberg, who is widely credited with saving the Big East after Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech moved to the A.C.C. in the early 2000s, twice declined to comment when reached at his home.

Syracuse Athletic Director Daryl Gross, when reached on his cellphone in Los Angeles, where the Orange will play Southern California on Saturday, said: “I can’t comment on that. Maybe that’s even too much to say.”

Amy Yakola, the A.C.C.’s associate commissioner for public relations and marketing, said, “We’ve been dealing with the fluidity of the conference landscape on multiple levels for a week, and at this point we wouldn’t be able to comment on speculation.”

Big East Commissioner John Marinatto declined to comment when reached on his cellphone.

Jim Boeheim, the longtime Syracuse basketball coach, said Friday night, “I wouldn’t be surprised by anything, but I don’t know anything right now.”
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:32:53 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »
If this happens, will remaining members of BE pick over A-10?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:43:29 PM »
We have to be praying the Big 12 breaks up if they leave. I assume after they get Pitt and Cuse, they'd then go after UConn and/or Rutgers/WV and get to 16.

If we can't get KU, KSU, or Mizzou, we'd have to go grab Memphis, Houston, Central Florida, UMass??
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:26:36 AM »
If we can't get KU, KSU, or Mizzou, we'd have to go grab Memphis, Houston, Central Florida, UMass??
Is that really better than just going to the bball only conference?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:11:23 AM »
We have to be praying the Big 12 breaks up if they leave. I assume after they get Pitt and Cuse, they'd then go after UConn and/or Rutgers/WV and get to 16.

Or poach Xavier and Dayton (St. Joes if we have to)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »
My only input:  F*ck super conferences and football.

Seems it is only a matter of time before Big East breaks up.  Best thing schools like MU, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, etc., can do is INVEST HUGE in their basketball programs in the way of coaches, training facilities, etc....not that MU doesn't already..  These schools are going to have to brand themselves as the best training grounds/schools for basketball development.  All basketball, all the time.  The basketball players are the big men on campus.  Not taking a backseat to football.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »
So as it seems the BE is breaking up, what's the ultimate impact for Marquette?  And what is MU likely to do?

Villacats

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
My only input:  F*ck super conferences and football.

Seems it is only a matter of time before Big East breaks up.  Best thing schools like MU, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, etc., can do is INVEST HUGE in their basketball programs in the way of coaches, training facilities, etc....not that MU doesn't already..  These schools are going to have to brand themselves as the best training grounds/schools for basketball development.  All basketball, all the time.  The basketball players are the big men on campus.  Not taking a backseat to football.

Well said. Except the Big East doesn't break up, it just gets out of the football business. The BE name has value.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
Well said. Except the Big East doesn't break up, it just gets out of the football business. The BE name has value.

Good point.  Let all the football schools leave, poach the best basketball only schools around, and keep the big east moniker.  that actually makes a lot of sense.  There would be MU, Nova (unless they decide to finally make the jump in football), G-town, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence and Depaul remaining.  Add some combo of Butler, Dayton, Xavier, UMass, St. Joe's, Rhode Island.  Maybe Cleveland St., SLU, GW and Siena are in the mix if necessary?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
I really don't understand this move from Syracuse and Pitt's perspective. I'm guessing they are attracted to the more stable format of the current ACC with everyone having football. But its not like ACC football is any good, probably worse than the very mediocre Big East. The match ups with UNC and Duke are obviously attractive, but they are losing their traditionally rivalries and instead will be playing a number of (what I feel to be rather bland) Southern schools.

It just amazes me how much college football drives the show in college sports, especially when it is such an inferior product to what the NFL puts out. Give me a BBall only conference and I think we could still be fine marketing that: MU, GTown, St. John's, Villanova, Notre Dame, Providence, Xavier, DePaul, Seton Hall, Temple. Right there you have all bball schools that I think could form a competitive basketball conference, plus you have the added "Catholic league" element (with the exception of Temple).
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:38 AM »

And in a few years with all the rivalries in football gone, fans of teams that used to compete for conference titles now cheering for a team to finish 7th, the super conferences will either break up or break away from the NCAA.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »
And in 20 years, football will have gone the way of boxing because parents will stop signing their kids up for it and basketball will be the money sport in college basketball.  I was kind of hoping that the football super-conferences idea would take longer to unfold and MU could play the long game by being all in on basketball.  If things start unraveling right now there could be some trouble if we get left out by all the mergers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »
I really don't understand this move from Syracuse and Pitt's perspective.

More stability...more money....and ACC football is much better than BE football.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:52:16 AM »
ESPN now reporting they've applied for the ACC...not good for MU.  Wish I was more confident that an all basketball conference could have long term financial sustainability.  Not liking this for MU unless we can somehow pick off some top notch Big 12 teams. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
I actually think that if a couple football schools leave, it might make MU's position with the other basketball schools (Georgetown, Nova, etc.) that much more secure.  Those are the schools MU needs to stay with.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »

More stability...more money....and ACC football is much better than BE football.

I am struggling with why the ACC would even want them?  I can see a conference wanting to share their revenue with a Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, A&M or ND because of their $$ draw, but Syracuse football?  Sixth in average football attendance in the BE, 14th in undergrad enrollment, and the last in BE TV market size (82nd nationally).  Is Jim Brown coming back or something?  

There is a reason the ACC passed on these teams last time.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:59 AM »
Enjoy the Big East while you can, folks.

smh at these fracking worthless, good for nothing, D1 FB schools.
SS Marquette

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
Thankfully, MU is in a very strong position. Remember, we forced out our Athletic Director two months ago during the fallout from the allegations leaving us rudderless in a stormy ocean. Can't be any more secure than that.

Enjoy any of the good moments to come this season. They may be your anchor memories in the upcoming years.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
Thankfully, MU is in a very strong position. Remember, we forced out our Athletic Director two months ago during the fallout from the allegations leaving us rudderless in a stormy ocean. Can't be any more secure than that.

Enjoy any of the good moments to come this season. They may be your anchor memories in the upcoming years.

Thankfully, Buzz is the type of coach/personality, that could have enough cache/charisma, for MU to be fine regardless of what happens.  If Buzz were to leave, AND the Big East breaks up - that would be the perfect storm...and a VERY, VERY sad day for MU Basketball.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Good riddance to both of them. The conference made them, they didn't make the conference. MU will be just fine. ACC football will always be awful.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
New Big East (Assuming football schools leave and Big East returns to its bball roots)
Marquette
Notre Dame
DePaul
Seton Hall
St. John's
Providence
Villanova
Georgetown

Add
Xavier
SLU
Butler

That's 11 teams. You can play a 20-game conference schedule where you play everyone home-and-home.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 11:00:11 AM »
Travel cost are an issue when you consider the non-revenue sports.  That is why any realignment for Marquette is so important.  Conference USA's configuration when Marquette was in it wasn't very friendly with a member school like East Carolina.  That is why Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Cinncinnati, Xavier, Seton Hall, South Florida, DePaul, UConn and Providence would be keys to any new conference.  All larger TV markets -- less costly to get to.

That continued alignment keeps the NYC/Madison Square Garden link.   

Other conference candidates that make sense depending on if you keep football (These days I think a viable conference needs to do that for TV purposes.) would be Memphis, TCU, Baylor, UNCC (they're adding football), UAB, UCF, Dayton, Temple, (they have football and a solid basketball program but would Nova accept them in the conference) URI, UMass, Butler.(With back to back national title appearances they have earned entry if they want it.)

I don't like the potential defection of Syracuse and Pitt from the Big East but if it happens Godspeed.

There will be a scramble for schools to find a stable home.  Marquette is positioned well.  Teams that may be in more trouble include Baylor, Iowa State, K State and Kansas.  Could we see them in a super conference with Marquette? 

It seems like the money contracts the ESPN, Big Ten Network, Fox and the Longhorn Network can pony up will dictate so much.  BTN may be a much bigger player in realignment than most people think. (Texas and Notre Dame rumors anyone?  PAC 12 rumors a smoke screen for what is really going on?)
Former Senator and current Oklahoma University President David Boren may have more of a hammer than most realize.  He's a Rhodes Scholar and master politician.  He was governor of the state at 30.   The word from Norman is he wants to keep the Big 12 in operation one way or another and force league revenue sharing.  He has everyone but Texas on board and knows where some bodies are buried.

Back to what we care about.  Marquette will remain in the Big East and it will be more than viable for years to come in one form or another.  My guess is there's a lot of work being done behind the scenes to position Marquette favorably in this brave new world.