Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz is getting it done..  (Read 7432 times)

Warriors10

• All American
Re: Buzz is getting it done..
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only two JUCO's to not graduate so far are Buycks and Fulce. I know both are still on campus and know Fulce is in class and saw Buycks walking with a backpack (I assume he is still in class, just know someone who has a class with Fulce).

Yep.  Buycks is still taking classes.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
Yep.  Buycks is still taking classes.

The idea in college is to graduate to possibly get a job, if they graduate, then Buzz did his job.  Bring in all the JC kids he wants
then.  Also, if you do become a pro who cares if you graduate.  Name me 3 potential millionaires out of college the first few years?
Jimmy, Lazar and hope DJO!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »

First of all I really like Buzz. However, having said that 25-10, 22-12 to 22-15 is not a positive trend. I believe this trend will reverse itself this year. I like how Buzz adapts. He changes his offense with the talent of the team. I hope this year he changes his defense. I do not have a problem with recruiting junior college kids. I think it is interesting how his recruiting has evolved. He came here with Texas and junior college connections. It looks like he has built up a totally different base to recruit from. He works hard. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but you do not hear him make excuses. He has a tough time, because (and I think he is doing it the right way) he does not respond to outside parties when they attack him, his players or MU. I was not happy with the Newbill situation, but I realize we will never know the actual reasons it happened. I do not have a problem with oversigning, if Buzz has a plan as to how the extra scholie will resolve itself. Certainly, Buzz knows which players are happy here and which are not and which players are working hard and which are not. The unhappy ones or slackers can move on as far as I am concerned. Every coach makes mistakes. The fact of life is the fans that like the coach either accept or ignore the mistakes and the people that hate the coach bash him over the head with them.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »
I have minor issues with Buzz, but must admit really dig the recruiting. He is chasing studs and never stops chasing. Hopefully as he continues to grow as a coach the in game coaching will eventually match the intense recruiting skills. Not ready to save man crush....but am very excited about upcoming season (s).

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
  • Both are good at game prep, but Buzz has proven to be an upgrade.  TC was too tied to his system and pre-set plays, Buzz rolls with his match-up strengths within his concepts.  This was a major surprise to me as he may be one of the top in the nation at this right now.

I couldn't agree more.  We are in every game because he adjusts to whats happening and takes advantage of what the opposition is giving him.  TC used to have his pregame and if it wasn't right we would get blown out from the tip.  I love knowing we can go out and have a chance against anybody in the country.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »
First of all I really like Buzz. However, having said that 25-10, 22-12 to 22-15 is not a positive trend. I believe this trend will reverse itself this year. I like how Buzz adapts. He changes his offense with the talent of the team. I hope this year he changes his defense. I do not have a problem with recruiting junior college kids. I think it is interesting how his recruiting has evolved. He came here with Texas and junior college connections. It looks like he has built up a totally different base to recruit from. He works hard. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but you do not hear him make excuses. He has a tough time, because (and I think he is doing it the right way) he does not respond to outside parties when they attack him, his players or MU. I was not happy with the Newbill situation, but I realize we will never know the actual reasons it happened. I do not have a problem with oversigning, if Buzz has a plan as to how the extra scholie will resolve itself. Certainly, Buzz knows which players are happy here and which are not and which players are working hard and which are not. The unhappy ones or slackers can move on as far as I am concerned. Every coach makes mistakes. The fact of life is the fans that like the coach either accept or ignore the mistakes and the people that hate the coach bash him over the head with them.

Good post Bilsu - lots of good points here.  Though I'd take a regular season record that regresses, but ultimately ends up in a better post-seson (Sweet 16).  Let's not forget that last year's schedule was the most difficult in school history as far as number of ranked opponents on the schedule. 

Buzz definitely has the program on an upward trajectory, and as he continues to have more success in the post-season, and sending guys to the NBA - the talent coming to MU is only going to continue to get better.  Buzz has that intangible "it" factor.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
The next few years should be very good.  He has a centers that can play offense and 1 that can play defense.  Otule showed a good left hand
this summer.  Last year he tried shooting that shot going into the defender with his right hand and got that shot blocked.  The left will help, I wonder how much having only one eye effects
him shooting that shot?  He has 2 good forwards, a little concerned with only one real backup who is very skinny, so you might see a lot of 3 guard offenses but Vander is tall enough to guard a small forward.  If JC keeps improving they should have a run again with the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.  If to get a better seeding and this year they should.  Also, I think the following year if Buzz can get one more big that the team again should be very strong.  Otule and Cadougan will be seniors with Wilson, both Taylors, Anderson and Blue being a pretty good rotation.
It would be nice to get that one big in next year so that big will have a year under his belt at MU, so Taylor does not have to start right away.  Time will tell.  Add Burton and whomever in 2013 and the majority of this decade looks entertaining and you can not ask more than that.  Bring a JC kid if you need to, where is a Bob Lackey clone?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
Every coach makes mistakes. The fact of life is the fans that like the coach either accept or ignore the mistakes and the people that hate the coach bash him over the head with them.

Show me a coach that does not make mistakes and I'll show you a coach that has accomplished nothing.

The question is not if he made mistakes, but on-balance has he made more good decisions than mistakes.

I think the answer is "definitely yes."

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »
First of all I really like Buzz. However, having said that 25-10, 22-12 to 22-15 is not a positive trend.

Considering the amount of talent we lost from that 25-10 team did you think it would be possible that we would 1) make the NCAA tourney the year after we lost 85% of our scoring, and 2) make the sweet 16 just two years later.  I for sure didn't think either of those would happen.  Buzz has done a hell of a job so far and the future looks very bright. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 05:04:51 AM »
Considering the amount of talent we lost from that 25-10 team did you think it would be possible that we would 1) make the NCAA tourney the year after we lost 85% of our scoring, and 2) make the sweet 16 just two years later.  I for sure didn't think either of those would happen.  Buzz has done a hell of a job so far and the future looks very bright.  

+1

Add to the above that last year the BE sent 11 teams to the tourney, a record.  And, some stats I have mentioned numerous times, we played 16 ranked teams last year, more than MU played between 1985 and 1993 combined!  Our SoS last year was #9, the highest in MU history.  For the first time ever, we played Duke and UNC in the same season.

How can it be argued that 25-10 with the three amigos to 22-15 without them while playing the hardest schedule in MU history is a regression?  I'm arguing their was no regression, that the three amigos might have been 22-15 playing last year's schedule.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:08:53 AM by AnotherMU84 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 06:43:17 AM »
I concur that last year's seeming 'regression' during the regular season was mostly due to the schedule.  In our non-con games, we lost a couple of toughies, most notably the Vandy game that was there for the taking.  The Loiusville loss shouldn't have happened and wouldn't had it not been for 5 minutes of terrible basketball (that I mostly blame on Buzz).  Also, we lost focus just a bit at the end of the regular season but regained it in the post season.

Buzz continues to grow as a top flight D1 game coach.  I particularly appreciate his own humble statements about his own growth every time he goes against long established BEast coaches.  And I really believe he's decided to make Marquette his long term home.  The program is in solid hands for the next 10+ years in my opinion.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
I concur that last year's seeming 'regression' during the regular season was mostly due to the schedule.  In our non-con games, we lost a couple of toughies, most notably the Vandy game that was there for the taking.  The Loiusville loss shouldn't have happened and wouldn't had it not been for 5 minutes of terrible basketball (that I mostly blame on Buzz).  Also, we lost focus just a bit at the end of the regular season but regained it in the post season.

Buzz continues to grow as a top flight D1 game coach.  I particularly appreciate his own humble statements about his own growth every time he goes against long established BEast coaches.  And I really believe he's decided to make Marquette his long term home.  The program is in solid hands for the next 10+ years in my opinion.
While we made mistakes in the Louisville game, we would not have lost that game if Preston Knowles did not bury all of those threes. It was amazing how that game changed. Buzz's game plan was to take it to Louisville's centers and I believe we fouled both of them out. Then Louisville went to the smaller lineup the whole game changed as Louisville went on a roll.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:43:58 PM by bilsu »

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »
It's a good idea to have a Buzz appreciation thread.  Normally the love is shown most when his name pops up in the offseason carousel.  Buzz is the MAN!  Quite possibly the best recruiter in the country.....I can't believe how he continues to stack classes.  Not long ago it was exciting to get ONE top 100 recruit.  Of course,  he brings a whole lot more to the table than just recruiting.  We are very lucky to have Buzz.  I hate the way TC left,  but he sure found us one helluva "replacement." I wouldn't trade Buzz for anyone.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »
I love that Buzz has changed his offense with his team. The first year with the three amigos was run and gun. The next year when we were small we slowed it down and shot the three with Acker, Cubillan, and Hayward. Seeing Crean run the "handoff at the top of the arc" was hard to watch when we had no talent and Diener shot a 3 with 3 on the shot clock. Having a coach than can adapt systems and keep us competitive in nearly every game he's coached is a fine change to me after watching us with no point guard and poor seasons in C-USA. I'll admit it, I love Coach Buzz.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 08:58:51 AM »
Buzz in a word......DOGGED  8-)

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
If you think it is OK to recruit JC kids that will probably never graduate school then great.  Lets see if any of them graduate?  They have questionable grades to begin with.

A little elitism on this board with statements about the academic ability of our JC transfers.  Although I hate to let facts get in the way of some peoples posts, Jimmy Butler has completed all requirements for graduation with the completion of courses taken this summer.  Joe and Dwight are enrolled in classes this Fall in an effort to complete their requirements as well. While many consider it normal for students to take 5 years to graduate at state universities, Marquette alums should recognize the challenge of completing degree requirements for an MU degree in just two years following junior college.  Making up all of the Theology and Philosophy requirements takes more than a semester at MU, in addition to the requirements for a major. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »
If you think it is OK to recruit JC kids that will probably never graduate school then great.  Lets see if any of them graduate?  They have questionable grades to begin with.

A little elitism on this board with statements about the academic ability of our JC transfers.  Although I hate to let facts get in the way of some peoples posts, Jimmy Butler has completed all requirements for graduation with the completion of courses taken this summer.  Joe and Dwight are enrolled in classes this Fall in an effort to complete their requirements as well. While many consider it normal for students to take 5 years to graduate at state universities, Marquette alums should recognize the challenge of completing degree requirements for an MU degree in just two years following junior college.  Making up all of the Theology and Philosophy requirements takes more than a semester at MU, in addition to the requirements for a major.

Excellent point. I transferred to Marquette from UW-Waukesha and was amazed by how many courses I needed to take to meet core requirements. I was under the impression when I transferred that I would have 2 years ahead of me, but Theology and Humanities pushed it to 4. I also added a minor late, but at that point it was either add a minor or take meaningless classes while I fulfilled my major requirements.

Bottom line, anyone who thinks that Joe Fulce, Jimmy Butler, Dwight Buycks, DJO and Jae Crowder aren't representing Marquette well is an ass. These kids are working their butts off and either graduating on time or sticking around to make sure they get a degree before they pursue other interests. I'm damn proud to call any of them Warriors.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »
Plus, it has been shown that merely attending, but not graduating from Marquette is enough to become the leader of Wisconsin.    ::)      So we have that going for us.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »
Plus, it has been shown that merely attending, but not graduating from Marquette is enough to become the leader of Wisconsin.    ::)      So we have that going for us.   

Keep this garbage off the board.

sgurgs

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 10:39:57 AM »
oh, come on.  it was funny.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
This year is the year we learn what we have with Buzz. He has shown a strong recruiting prowess and he's shown an ability to win when no one expected us to.

But last year showed he has work to do if we want to be in the elite of college basketball. The aforementioned Vanderbilt and Louisville games as well as Cincinnati and North Carolina (in the NCAAs) showed that sometimes our team just checks out. At times, there was an incredible lack of leadership on our team (see Seton Hall) -- and then there was UConn last year.

Great coaches get consistency from their team. Everyone has off nights, but we seemed to have "off weeks." We need to play with a consistent fire. And we need to develop Vander Blue into an All-American, or at least a player equal to his hype.

That's reality folks. If we want to be a bottom rung NCAA tournament team, we'll play like we did last year. Developing Vander and finding consistency may mean we return to the days when Marquette was a "destination," and we are consistently a Top 10 team that finds it was to a regional final.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »

Well-played  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »

I hope they graduate as much as anybody.  Really happy to see the kids back in school.  I will retract my statement as I expected Dwight to go to Europe to play ball.  Surprised he is not
as he can play given the chance.  Good for Joe.  I want every kid MU recruits to finish there education.  Not all of them will be like Wes.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
oh, come on.  it was funny.

Then why can't funny comments portraying the other side go without people flipping out?  I agree with Skats.  Keep it to yourself.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »
Buzz has been great for Marquette.  The difference between Buzz and TC from what I see is that Buzze believes he can get it done at Marquette - he can make Marquette a consistent top team that can compete at a high level, year after year, and compete in the NCAA tourney at a high level.  He goes after the elite, up again the top coaches and the top schools. - that mindset is awesome, and is refreshing.  And Marquette's name is no consistely mentioned, as a result, in the same articles, tweets etc as Kasas, NC, Duke etc.

He is doing a lot of good for MU on the court, and off the court.  He has not yet shown the media savvy that TC had, but Buzz has his way of dealing with the media.