Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: G'Town...their 5th best big would start for MU  (Read 3925 times)

Wade for President

• All American
G'Town...their 5th best big would start for MU
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:12:01 AM »
Jeff Green is just unbelievable.  The more I see of that guy, the more I love him.  Crushes the glass, tremendous defender, has great handles for a big, can bang down low or sink the 3 ball.

It was funny because I found myself cheering like a G'town grad on Sunday.  That comeback was nuts, and their performance in O.T. was dominating.

I don't know if I've seen a college team so deep with big guys.  Hibbert is a man amongst boys, Green is incredible, Summers is great, Ewing Jr. played well yesterday, Macklin looks promising, and Egerson plays bigger then his 6'6" frame.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: G'Town...their 5th best big would start for MU
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:20:19 AM »
Summers -- he's one helluva player.  Gonna be a great pro.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
I agree WFP.  I love this Georgetown team and couldn't be happier after they pulled that one out yesterday.  Green is a smart, intense player who is very smart out there.  Meanwhile, I think JWT 3 is one of the best coaches out there.

I grew up rooting against G-town.  Now my 7 year-old is rooting for them like they're MU. I'm glad they're representing the BE so well.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:03:24 AM »
I love how people say that the tourney is a guard game.
Then they say look at UCLA.

But
Gtown has Green, Hibbert, and Macklin.
Florida has Noah and Horford.
Ohio State has Oden. That's about it.
And
Oregon lost because they couldn't battle the bigs.

For MU to experience this success, they NEED bigs who are active, rebound, defend and shoot.
SS Marquette

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »

But
And

For MU to experience this success, they NEED bigs who are active, rebound, defend and shoot.

...And running an efficient half court offense like Georgetown's wouldn't hurt either.  You gotta love those back door cuts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:19:04 AM by muarmy81 »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 10:15:24 AM »

But
And

And UCLA has no one over 6'9" and they have gone to back to back Final Fours.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Isn't it just common sense that to be an elite team you need talent at all of the postions?

You can win a lot of games with great guards or great bigs, but to be a great team you need to have talent at all positions and a gamplan that maximizes that particular teams talents.

IF/When MU lands a big man who can score, that player will have an opportunity to get 10-15 shots a game and be a major part of the offense.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 11:36:28 AM »
A low post threat for MU would help our guards more than anything.  Besides, I don't think anyone, Chicos included, really advocates that you don't need quality bigs to compete for final fours and national championships.  You need both.  I'll agree with Chicos in that a team with terrible guards and a good frontcourt will do worse than a team with good guards and a terrible frontcourt.  But I'd advise having quality everywhere if you want to make FFs.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »
you guys seriously don;t read posts.  chicos has never said "you don;t need bigs to compete for national championships".  i don;t think anyone in the history of sports have ever uttered such words.  all he is saying is you start with guards - because the bigs can't feed themselves - and with strong guard play and average bigs you can advance very far in the ncaa tourney.  see oregon and ucla this year...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:28:37 PM »

But
And

Oregon lost because they shot 25% from trey land....they essentially shut down Florida's bigs.

And please point out ONE POST..EVER...where I said we don't need quality bigs?

rocky's edit: now now chicos, name calling?  childish...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:17:15 PM by rocky_warrior »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 12:32:14 PM »
Oregon lost because they shot 25% from trey land....they essentially shut down Florida's bigs.

I dunno, Chicos.   Noah went for 14 and 14....and Oregon was outrebounded by 35-21.  21 was exactly the number of boards that Noah and Horford combined to grab for UF.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:38:20 PM »
Florida did help keep Oregon in the game by missing 15 free throws.  Make a few of those and the game might have been a rout at the 4 minute mark.

tonyreeder

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
That darn NY Warrior and his facts.   A 14 rebound differential and Noah with 14 and 14.    Quite the shutdown.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
Isn't it just common sense that to be an elite team you need talent at all of the postions?

You can win a lot of games with great guards or great bigs, but to be a great team you need to have talent at all positions and a gamplan that maximizes that particular teams talents.

IF/When MU lands a big man who can score, that player will have an opportunity to get 10-15 shots a game and be a major part of the offense.

I agree with you 2002mualum.  A good final four recipe is some future NBA talent and a better than average supporting cast.  I'm sure you can look at every final four, (barring the exception) and find that every team had more than one future NBA player.  Here is our year as an example.

2003 final four

Marquette
Wade
Diener
Novak

Kansas
Collison
Hinrich
Langford
A. Miles

Texas
T. Ford
B. Mouton
J. Thomas
R. Ivey

Syracuse
H. Warrick
C. Anthony

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
You only get a rebound off a miss.

If the point was that Orgeon's poor shooting was the cause of their loss, pointing out that Florida had a rebounding edge isn't the appropriate counter argument.  

If Oregon hits more shots, Florida has fewer rebound opportunities.  

What I found interesting is that for all their inside strenght, Florida had almost as many 3 pointers (11) as two point baskets (12), and shot nearly 50% on treys.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 01:11:26 PM »

I dunno, Chicos.   Noah went for 14 and 14....and Oregon was outrebounded by 35-21.  21 was exactly the number of boards that Noah and Horford combined to grab for UF.

Noah went 4-9 from the floor and Horford 1-3....the two together got 20 points between them when they average closer to 26.

Porter had a miserable shooting day, but despite that a 4 guard offense played Florida very well.

Look, to be great you need both.  If you just have guards you won't be great, if you just have big men you won't even be great.  It's easier to build around guards, that has been my only point but I've consistently said you need both to be great (just that you start with the guards because they are easier to get and develop earlier).

The tOSU team is the one that strikes me the most.  Yes, they have Oden but without those guards, they are nothing.  Oden sits on the bench for decades because of foul trouble and OSU does just fine.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 01:15:47 PM »
That darn NY Warrior and his facts.   A 14 rebound differential and Noah with 14 and 14.    Quite the shutdown.

Yeah...meanwhile the other facts are that the two Gator guards went for 23 and 21 points...those two guys scored more than half of the entire team's total and way more than Brewer, Noah, and Horford COMBINED.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
That darn Chicos Bail Bonds and his facts.

ugh   ;D

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 01:37:49 PM »

Yea, I'm sorry if I was too ambigious in my post. I wasn't trying to imply that anybody said you could win without bigs.

I'm just saying that picking out great teams to prove a side of this argument just seems a bit silly.

All of the great teams have good front courts and back courts... that's why they are in the final 4.

I think guards probably have a bigger effect on the game in college vs. the NBA because there are not that many elite forwards in college, so it creates a bigger oppotunity for guards to succeed.

The NBA has guys like KG, Marion, and Chris Bosh, all guys who are EXTREMELY long and can guard any position on the floor. Unless you are an elite shooter, or a unique athlete (Dwyane), you will have trouble scoring in the league as a guard. All of the players are so athletic and big, its hard to find enough room to operate on the offensive end.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »
Ohio State's offense loses NOTHING when Oden is on the bench. Their guards are as good a group as there is. Defensively, yes, Oden makes a hell of a difference. But give Ohio State mediocre guards with Oden and they're out of the Dance in the second round.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
OSU runs 3 Guard lineup
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »
Ohio State's offense loses NOTHING when Oden is on the bench. Their guards are as good a group as there is. Defensively, yes, Oden makes a hell of a difference. But give Ohio State mediocre guards with Oden and they're out of the Dance in the second round.

Could not agree more.  Conley, Lewis, Butler and Lighty are fantastic.   Lost in all of this banter is the little factoid that Ohio State is now starting 3 guards, one forward and one center.

DOH.  Oh the irony.   ;D

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=274000046

feedback