collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Mock Drafts by wadesworld
[June 21, 2024, 10:18:49 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 21, 2024, 09:43:59 PM]

Oso Article by Jay Bee
[June 21, 2024, 09:09:48 PM]

More conference realignment talk by WhiteTrash
[June 21, 2024, 09:02:22 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by lawdog77
[June 21, 2024, 05:12:30 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[June 21, 2024, 11:09:40 AM]

2025 Bracketology by wadesworld
[June 21, 2024, 10:50:55 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette D1 Hockey, why not?  (Read 9344 times)

swoopem

• All American
Marquette D1 Hockey, why not?
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:15:41 PM »
I know that the topic of why can't we bring back our football team is always discussed around here and I always think the same thing, besides the money issue we would suck for so long and it wouldn't even be enjoyable to watch, so why not start a team that can win and be successful.

Ever since we decided to go D1 in lacrosse my friends and I have discussed why not start a D1 hockey team? I understand title 9 and everything that goes along with that. But if we were to start another D1 sports team why not hockey?

Milwaukee is in such a hotbed for recruiting with Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan all haveing great hockey and then throw in a few Illinois players plus Canadians and you got your self a contender. The Bradley Center was built for hockey so you already have an arena. The city of Milwaukee would eventually rally behind MU since there is no NHL team and the admirals aren't the hottest ticket in town. Basically the bottom line is that I really hope one day soon we get a hockey team at Marquette, plus our uniforms would be amazing.
Bring back FFP!!!

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
Re: Marquette D1 Hockey, why not?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »
Another reason to get a $7, 24 oz Miller Lite at the Bradley Center. I love it!
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
I know that the topic of why can't we bring back our football team is always discussed around here and I always think the same thing, besides the money issue we would suck for so long and it wouldn't even be enjoyable to watch, so why not start a team that can win and be successful.

Ever since we decided to go D1 in lacrosse my friends and I have discussed why not start a D1 hockey team? I understand title 9 and everything that goes along with that. But if we were to start another D1 sports team why not hockey?

Milwaukee is in such a hotbed for recruiting with Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan all haveing great hockey and then throw in a few Illinois players plus Canadians and you got your self a contender. The Bradley Center was built for hockey so you already have an arena. The city of Milwaukee would eventually rally behind MU since there is no NHL team and the admirals aren't the hottest ticket in town. Basically the bottom line is that I really hope one day soon we get a hockey team at Marquette, plus our uniforms would be amazing.

First question that comes to my mind is "Where do the Admirals practice?" because getting use of the ice in the BC for 10 hours a week can't be easy.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
First question that comes to my mind is "Where do the Admirals practice?" because getting use of the ice in the BC for 10 hours a week can't be easy.

Are they still down at Wilson Park where they used to play before the BC was built?
But I like to throw handfuls...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »

There's also the Pettit. Not sure how hard time is to come by there, but it's a possibility. If they put the team on a bus, it's probably not more than a 10 minute ride from campus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »
Is the Al big enough for hockey? I would think that place would make a ROCKIN venue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »
Here is why this is a bad idea:

1. No place to practice that is close to campus.  (And by close, I mean within walking distance.)

2. Milwaukee is a bad hockey city.  The city of Milwaukee wouldn't "rally around" a MU hockey team - they would ignore it.  They'd be playing in front of crowds of 5,000 at the BC.

3. Milwaukee isn't in a hotbed of hockey recruiting.  The amazing thing about UW is that Madison isn't in a hot bed of hockey recruiting.  They get most of their players anywhere *but* Wisconsin.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
Here is why this is a bad idea:

1. No place to practice that is close to campus.  (And by close, I mean within walking distance.)

2. Milwaukee is a bad hockey city.  The city of Milwaukee wouldn't "rally around" a MU hockey team - they would ignore it.  They'd be playing in front of crowds of 5,000 at the BC.

3. Milwaukee isn't in a hotbed of hockey recruiting.  The amazing thing about UW is that Madison isn't in a hot bed of hockey recruiting.  They get most of their players anywhere *but* Wisconsin.

1. Obviously, Sultan has never played hockey.  Ask every NHL player and 95% of them will tell you they've never lived - and still don't live - within walking distance of a rink... it's not a deterrent when you're used to it.

2. Milwaukee isn't a basketball city either (see: Bucks, Milwaukee), but MU seems to draw pretty well.

3. When you're recruiting kids hailing from the upper Midwest and Canada, Milwaukee is much easier sell than Miami, Lexington, Austin or Tucson.  Plus, most women's hockey players are from Wisconsin & Minnesota.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
1. Not many college hockey programs, if any, at the D1 level have to bus their players to a site off-campus to practice.  Instant recruiting disadvantage.

2. Milwaukee is a very good basketball city.  When the Bucks put out even a decent product, the fans show up.  MU is another example.

3.  I don't care if it's an easier sell than Tucson, I care if its an easier sell than Duluth, Grand Forks and Madison.  And I doubt it is in front of a 1/3 full Bradley Center.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
Is the Al big enough for hockey? I would think that place would make a ROCKIN venue.

Pretty hard to do hockey at the Al when the building wasn't built with a system to freeze ice.  Can't even put it in, there's a gym underneath the floor.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 07:53:41 AM »
Hockey rinks are not all that expensive to build, especially those that are needed for practice facilities.  I live in WNY, a hotbed for hockey.  One of the local community colleges put up a four rink hockey palace ten years ago.  This is a community college, not even close to the size of MU.  The college then proceded to rent the ice to local leagues.  The ice was also used for high school games and college games.  MU could easily due the same thing.  Put up a twin rink facility and use the ice for practice as well as local leagues.  Heck, the mu club team could use the ice as well or even intramural ice hockey.  I agree that Milwaukee is not a hotbed heaven, however if MU wanted to they could get the program going with fairly low costs.  As previous posters stated, they could then play at the Bradley center or even at the campus facility for some games.  As for title 9, they could add a women's team as well.  Frankly, I am quite surprised they started a lacrosse program before hockey as lacrosse is even less popular in Milwaukee than hockey.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:24:21 PM by DiaperDandy »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
You are probably looking at something like this...

http://www.uwbadgers.com/genrel/111710aae.html

Bigger...but without the swimming pool.  This is $27M.  The bigger question is, where do you put it?

The reason lacrosse was so easy to add is that there is a facility for the program already on campus. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
You are probably looking at something like this...

http://www.uwbadgers.com/genrel/111710aae.html

Bigger...but without the swimming pool.  This is $27M.  The bigger question is, where do you put it?

The reason lacrosse was so easy to add is that there is a facility for the program already on campus.

My high school (Arrowhead) built its own hockey rink. If they can afford it, I'm sure Marquette could afford a practice facility as well. You could probably build it for 2/3 the cost if you didn't include the swimming venue. For the first couple years, use it as the home rink as well, just to make sure you can draw before trying to move to the BC. In addition, you could try to make some money back by allowing open skates (for a fee) and offering it as a training facility to other teams.

Side question: Where does Milwaukee Marquette practice/play games? They have a hockey team, and are just up the street.

But you're right in terms of the "where do you put it?" question. There might be space in the valley, but I'm sure that land is probably owned by Potowatomie. Not sure if they'd be willing to sell. There's the parking lot across from the Al, that's big enough, but I can't remember who parks there, and if you'd have to find them new parking that might be tough.

Another problem is what does it accomplish, in the long term? The Big East doesn't have hockey. UConn is in Atlantic Hockey while Providence is in Hockey East. Are there any other Big East members that even have hockey? It might be good for the University, but it doesn't necessarily help our long-term goals of maintaining membership in a BCS conference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
And college hockey is rapidly devolving into a have and have not proposition.  With Penn State adding the program, the B10 is going to start its own conference which takes away four of the biggest "western" programs - Wisc, Minn, Mich and MSU.  The top of what is left over is going to be forming its own conference, which will include Denver, North Dakota, Nebraska - Omaha, Colorado College and Duluth - with talks that Notre Dame might join them.

What is left over is a bunch of crap.  And that is where MU would need to be.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
Diperdandy- Lacrosse is not that cheap. My friend who played at Umass, his dad went to MU and was at a fundraiser in NYC a few weeks ago and they raised 13 million to build an indoor facility. I dont know where this is going or when its its gettin built but its happening. With the Milwaukee weather they need to do something indoors.

As for you guys who are saying Milwaukee is not a hotbed for hockey your nuts. Hockey players are a diffrent bread and would LOVE Miltown.
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 12:48:05 PM »
As for you guys who are saying Milwaukee is not a hotbed for hockey your nuts. Hockey players are a diffrent bread and would LOVE Miltown.

Whether or not hockey players would love Milwaukee isn't relevant to the fact that Milwaukee is simply not a hotbed for hockey.

The Admirals attendance stinks.  Wisconsin stopped playing at the BC in their holiday tournament because of attendance issues.  There are only about a dozen high schools in the entire metro area with a hockey team and the area has not produced a hockey player of significance that I am aware of.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 12:54:43 PM »
I dont know where this is going or when its its gettin built but its happening. With the Milwaukee weather they need to do something indoors.

Ok, where?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »
What about US Celluar Arena? Already has an ice rink in place. Sits around 11,000-12,000, so it would be right size to have that crazy atmosphere for a hockey game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:40:20 PM by warrior_rugby15 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Whether or not hockey players would love Milwaukee isn't relevant to the fact that Milwaukee is simply not a hotbed for hockey.

The Admirals attendance stinks.  Wisconsin stopped playing at the BC in their holiday tournament because of attendance issues.  There are only about a dozen high schools in the entire metro area with a hockey team and the area has not produced a hockey player of significance that I am aware of.

+1

Besides the fact that there are not players coming out of the HS here, most collegiate hockey players play juniors in the USHL for a few years and I can't think of many players coming out of those leagues and moving on to college with Wisconsin ties, even with the Green Bay Gamblers being a fairly significant team in the league.  Madison has a few every once and awhile but with the "strong" programs at Arrowhead, USM, assorted North Shore schools, Brookfield, etc...  I can't think of anyone moving on to play.

So that leaves Minnesota and Illinois and frankly those kids would just as well go play at Notre Dame, Miami (OH), Minnesota, or MSU/UM than play for a start up Marquette program.  I like the idea, its just not that feasible especially when you would be looking at a conference with, at best, teams like Bowling Green, Alabama-Huntsville, Lake Superior State, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, etc...  Not exactly a buzzworthy situation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21:47 AM »
Besides the fact that there are not players coming out of the HS here, most collegiate hockey players play juniors in the USHL for a few years and I can't think of many players coming out of those leagues and moving on to college with Wisconsin ties,

Well, there are a few actually.  But most of them are from the Madison area:  Phil Kessel, Adam Burish, Jack Skille, Ryan Suter...and those are just the ones that went to UW.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
Joe Pavelski of the Sharks is from Stevens Point also. As a Wings fan I cant stand that guy.
Bring back FFP!!!

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »

Well, there are a few actually.  But most of them are from the Madison area:  Phil Kessel, Adam Burish, Jack Skille, Ryan Suter...and those are just the ones that went to UW.

Kessel actually played one year of college hockey at Minnesota.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »
Kessel actually played one year of college hockey at Minnesota.

And Suiter didn't play HS hockey in Wisconsin, he went to Culver before making the USNDT.  But I understand the point, I mentioned that Madison produced a few.  If someone finds similar players or whatnot from the Milwaukee area, I'll stand corrected.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »
There is only one downside when it comes to hockey, and it has nothing to do with facilities, home-grown talent, Milwaukee not being a hockey-town, etc.

The shortfall is, as Brew77 suggested, what is accomplished?

1) Marquette meets the minimum D-I offerings for Big East membership.  Hockey adds nothing to solidifying MU's status unless the BE decides to add it (which - actually - isn't too far fetched).

2) Hockey isn't a revenue producing sport and likely wouldn't be for a long time (if ever).  If getting another athletic program into the black long-term is the goal, football is the better prospect (one BCS appearance is probably worth more than a dozen Frozen Four appearances).

3) I'm not sure what kind of goodwill or enrollment increases would be obtained by adding hockey, but my guess is "insignificant at best."  Students barely attend basketball games as it is... how many would show up for hockey games on alternate weekends?

If MU is hell-bent on adding another sport - any sport - within the next two years, hockey is probably one of the best options there are simply because it's feasible that a program could be up and running in a matter of months.

Hockey would be more profitable (i.e. less unprofitable) than LAX, but LAX accomplishes something.  Football would not only accomplish something but could actually be profitable in a few years (if you exclude the exorbitant initial capital costs), but the lead-time in getting the money raised & a program going is at least five years... probably longer.

Honestly... the Big East should add hockey.  It's never going to compete with SEC, B10 or B12 football, nor does it have to.  Hockey is a natural fit for most BE schools... even Louisville and Cincinnati have enough interest in the sport that they're able to sustain ACHA programs - granted you're not going to create a D-I team from a bunch of club players, but interest is generated from the grassroots level, and there is plenty of grass in Cincy and Louis.  Heck, TCU and USF may even be interested in getting into the act.  Hockey is a big draw in the NE, even on television... it might just be the missing piece in being able to launch a full-time BE Network.  You don't need a Ralph (a reference to UND's gaudy monstrosity) in order to house a program, although I'd go to a game at Marquette's "Dick" anytime.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
There just aren't enough Big East schools that play hockey to just suddenly create a hockey conference.  Notre Dame and Providence are the only two schools that play it on a "high" level...UConn is the only other school that plays it at all.

feedback