Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Impact Freshman for 2011-2012 team?  (Read 6164 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Impact Freshman for 2011-2012 team?
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
Buzz's goal should be to get this program to the level where this post never exists. In other words, the freshmen are not counted on to save the season, regardless of their incoming stats. Get the system goin' so Buzz reloads, but not redesign each year.

I don't know how others feel who responded to this thread.  An impact freshman may only play 10-15 minutes a game, yet he can be in the playing rotation and I expect Jamil Wilson to start and at least one of the freshman to be in the every game rotation next year.

Hate to refer back to the McGuire days, but this puts out an interesting point.  In probably his last 4 or 5 years after freshman eligibility was restored, every one of Al's teams started either a freshman, a transfer or a JUCO transfer.  In 1972-73 it was Lloyd Walton as a JUCO transfer and after a redshirt year at Marquette.  In 1973-74 Bo Ellis started as a true freshman as did Butch Lee in 1974-75.  Jerome Whitehead started as a JUCO transfer in 1975-76 and Jim Boylan started in 1976-77 after transferring from Assumption College. 

If Jamil Wilson starts next year, it's very similar to what Al did and I don't call that redesigning.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:39:59 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
I don't know how others feel who responded to this thread.  An impact freshman may only play 10-15 minutes a game, yet he can be in the playing rotation and I expect Jamil Wilson to start and at least one of the freshman to be in the every game rotation next year.

I agree with this. I think some people think that the definition of an 'impact' freshman is along the lines of a Carmelo Anthony. Furthermore, so many rotation-type freshmen that are big time recruits leave after one year without truly impacting the game (Selby was good, but certainly not great). These kids leave school early to attend pre-draft workouts and spend time at Jordan's gym in Chicago because they know it is far more valuable to showcase themselves on the court than it is to take their geography exam. Some dont care that they leave their programs high and dry. If impact freshmen were so valuable, UK would have cleaned up NC the past few years. Its clear that a healthy mix of upperclassmen and underclassmen is the winning formula. A freshman that plays Vander-type minutes is just fine. Let the frosh sit the bench and learn the game for a year. Those that dont want to do that will go to UK, KU, UNC and a few others.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »
Why would anyone bring up Jamil Wilson? He's a third-year sophomore, not a freshman. He already played a role for a D1 program, and with sitting out a year but still playing every day in practice, is probably more like a junior than a freshman.

I think that Derrick Wilson will probably play in just about every game, but I'm not sure any of them will have a big impact as more than a reliable sub. Honestly, I'm not sure I really want any of them to have more of an impact than that this year.

If Wilson has a major impact, that likely means Cadougan spends significant time out injured. If Mayo has a major impact, either DJO is injured or ineffective. If Anderson has a major impact, something is probably wrong with Wilson or Crowder. I think all three can have great success here, but having that success in 2011-12 might not be best for the team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 08:50:53 PM »
If we have the luxury of subbing in guys without losing a ton on the floor when we do, then I will be thrilled.

feedback