Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[May 22, 2024, 09:36:22 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 22, 2024, 07:26:16 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by rocky_warrior
[May 22, 2024, 06:25:06 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by BCHoopster
[May 22, 2024, 06:19:00 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by tower912
[May 22, 2024, 01:36:06 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gabe York Is On A Visit, Yeah?  (Read 14723 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Gabe York Is On A Visit, Yeah?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 07:54:19 PM »
I still feel adding another guard for 2012 should be our second priority, unless York is committed to playing point. Cadougan will be a senior and we'll have multiple years left for Blue, Jones, Mayo, and Wilson, while bringing in Taylor and Ferguson. Gabe looks like a great player, but that's a lot of combo guards.

Are you serious?  You don't turn away talent like Gabe York.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »

Agreed.  And I think Taylor will be running the point.  I have said this before, but I think Buzz doesn't mind turning 2s into 1s because 2s tend to be better players in high school anyway.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 11:04:21 PM »

If there's a guard, I'd rather have a dedicated point like Kris Dunn who's also blowing up, and has a bigger frame. Maybe it's nitpicking, but we haven't picked up a true point since Cadougan. Even Reggie Smith and Derrick Wilson weren't described completely as point guards. Smith was a scoring speed machine while Wilson was a scoring pile-driver. York may be the perfect replacement for DJO, but who'll replace Caddy a year later? Taylor? Blue? Wilson? Or will we have a turnstile at the point?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »
I've heard different reports on that. I was also under the impression he was primarily a point, but once he announced Marquette, a number of people indicated he's a 2 who can also play the point. If he's primarily a point it seems we'd have even less immediate need for another guard (as the 1 and 2 would both be pretty well-balanced).
The people who say Taylor will not play point are basing it on his size as they cannot see a 6'4' 225 pound person playing point. Besides that Ferguson and Taylor are only verbals. I be surpised if they both came, if MU got commitments from York and Dunn. Also there is no guarantee that Taylor and Ferguson come to MU, so you need to keep recruiting their positions until they sign.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
If there's a guard, I'd rather have a dedicated point like Kris Dunn who's also blowing up, and has a bigger frame. Maybe it's nitpicking, but we haven't picked up a true point since Cadougan. Even Reggie Smith and Derrick Wilson weren't described completely as point guards. Smith was a scoring speed machine while Wilson was a scoring pile-driver. York may be the perfect replacement for DJO, but who'll replace Caddy a year later? Taylor? Blue? Wilson? Or will we have a turnstile at the point?

Mind if I mention that we have 2 scholarships available? :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 08:45:43 AM »
6'4" is hardly too tall to play point guard.  

And I am glad that you mentioned the possibility the possibility of someone not coming who has already verballed.  Let's see what happens to a guy like Ferguson, who has been dropping down the rankings, if we get York and a top PG like Dunn to MU.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »
Mind if I mention that we have 2 scholarships available? :)

I know. At least one (if not both) should go for a big man, ideally McGary, but I'd be overjoyed to land Cleare, Poythress, Goodwin, Taylor, or Nolan. I'd really love to see us use both of those scholarships on two people from that list. But if we go for a guard, I'd just prefer a dedicated point guard like Kris Dunn. While York is a fantastic athlete and scorer, I'm not sure he can be the floor general we need. If he can be, and Buzz is convinced of it, then go for him, but it seems like we have a number of guys that have a score-first mentality rather than the provide-first mentality that you like to see in a point guard.

TheFarEastMovement

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »
Won't we have a total of 3 scholarships available at the end of this year with Crowder and DJO graduating and with the transfers of Reggie and EWill, which adds upto 4. However, Taylor will be taking up one of them, which becomes 3. Am I missing something? 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2011, 09:01:26 AM »
How many 6'4" 220 lb. point guards are there in the college game? He's a 2 guard.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:05:33 AM by Boone »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
Won't we have a total of 3 scholarships available at the end of this year with Crowder and DJO graduating and with the transfers of Reggie and EWill, which adds upto 4. However, Taylor will be taking up one of them, which becomes 3. Am I missing something?

Jamal Ferguson has also given a verbal commitment.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
How many 6'4" 220 lb. point guards are there in the college game? He's a 2 guard.

Thanks Dr. Naismith.  ::)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »
Jamal Ferguson
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:28:32 AM by bilsu »

Boone

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »
You're quite welcome, JWags. Any time.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
Here this board goes again recruiting against Buzz. I hope York does not read this board and see people saying they do not want him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »

Just because he is *tall* doesn't mean he isn't a point guard.  Seriously, does the 3" and 20 lbs over Junior make him that much different???

Magic Johnson was 6'8" and he did just fine as a college point guard.  It isn't about your size, it is about your mentality and your game.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
It's not so much his height as his weight. But again, combining the two, how many college point guards can you cite that go 6'4" 220lbs?

C'mon, you know Magic Johnson was a complete aberration at the point guard position. Plus, he played collegiately over 30 years! When you have to go back that far to find an example...

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
I hear York scored 46 this morning, including ten 3's.  Let's be careful of our criticisms  ;D

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
I think Buzz know what he is doing.  You need great shooting to win, after DJO leaves, not sure
what that leaves MU, I do know Cadougan, Blue are not the answer to replace that scoring.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:21 AM »
With our team's inability to consistently score from the outside (i.e., Blue, Cadougan), York is a WELCOME addition. Shooters are always needed.

Buzz has emphasized driving and drawing contact but also attracting defensive attention to then kick out to an open shooter. Enter Gabe York. :)
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »
It's not so much his height as his weight. But again, combining the two, how many college point guards can you cite that go 6'4" 220lbs?

Why does it matter what his height or weight is?  Why can't a 6'4" player, with the right mentality and game, play the point?

And since you asked:

Iman Schumpert - 6'5", 209lbs
Brad Wannamaker - 6'4", 210
Durand Scott - 6'4", 200
William Buford - 6'5", 200
Shelvin Mack - 6'3", 220

Furthermore, every article I have read on Taylor calls him either a PG or a combo guard.  Not once have I seen him called a "shooting guard."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »
Let's get some perspective here.

So, you guys are sayin' Kelly Minogue can't be a Playboy centerfold 'cus her boobs are too big?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »

Why does it matter what his height or weight is?  Why can't a 6'4" player, with the right mentality and game, play the point?

And since you asked:

Iman Schumpert - 6'5", 209lbs
Brad Wannamaker - 6'4", 210
Durand Scott - 6'4", 200
William Buford - 6'5", 200
Shelvin Mack - 6'3", 220

Furthermore, every article I have read on Taylor calls him either a PG or a combo guard.  Not once have I seen him called a "shooting guard."

And none of those guys are 6'4" and 220.  Boone's point stands.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
With the exception of Wanamaker, you're really stretching in declaring all of those guys as point guards.

*With an average of 17 points a game and 3 assists, Shumpert played 2 guard -- not the point.
*Malcolm Grant was the point guard on Miami -- not Durand Scott (who had a terrible A/T ratio).
*Buford's a shooting guard. Craft ran the point for OSU.
*Mack led Butler in assists, but at only 3.4 a game and with a scoring average of 16, he was a combo guard, not a point.

I hope Taylor can play the point for us, but, to repeat, 6'4" 220lb. point guards are few and far between in college.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »

Not many PGs are 6'4", 200. But there have been some that are have gone on to greater things: Penny, Magic, OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose (okay, he's 6'3")...

DJO is 6'2", 215 and as a SG, he's more of a PG stature. Which is why he was at LeBron's camp working on his ball handling.

If you can play, Buzz will play you.
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
Rather have a 6'4" 220lbs. point guard than the Pygmy types we usually run out there. Besides, it's a big man's game.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"