Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gabe York Is On A Visit, Yeah?  (Read 14721 times)

slingkong

• Team Captain
Re: Gabe York Is On A Visit, Yeah?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 08:43:39 AM »
He's easy to give a playing nickname.

Gork?

Slim

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 09:12:41 AM »
Anyone know if York was on campus last night?  Would have made a favorable impression with Butler getting selected in first round and the staff reminding him about Hayward last year.  Hoping he was hanging out with MU players for the draft show.

I read the team was at Buzz's house for the draft last night. Is that a problem to have a recruit to the coach's house? Didn't Pearl's problems at UT start this way? or were the problems only because of the cover up and lying?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Can't have a recruit at the house, is my understanding.  Pearl did it, which was wrong, and then lied about it to the NCAA.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
York's visit was Wednesday.  He was at the Deron Williams camp yesterday

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »
I read the team was at Buzz's house for the draft last night. Is that a problem to have a recruit to the coach's house? Didn't Pearl's problems at UT start this way? or were the problems only because of the cover up and lying?

Pretty sure you're correct.  Can't entertain a recruit off campus (i.e. Coaches house).  Although sitting next to the starting guard of the Blazers, while getting swept up in the hoopla of watching an MU player getting drafted in the 1st Rd would've been a momentum changer in my book.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »
York's visit was Wednesday.  He was at the Deron Williams camp yesterday

He must be injured and only watching as he isn't on the camp roster.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »
I do not think you directly say anything about it. You might say MU is getting some bad press lately and not comment other than that.

fair enough. 

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
Past articles stated he was visiting MU and ND because he was going to be in CHI for the camp.  I also saw he wasnt on the roster

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »

So, we're going to be pulling a train?

Considering the recent news on Marquette Basketball during the Spring, don't think anyone in the program needs practice in running a train.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »
Gabe York is in fact injured and has been on crutches recently. 

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the train pulling references are tasteless (at best)?

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the train pulling references are tasteless (at best)?
I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with you.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
Gork?

I was thinking more along the lines of Sargent.....

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
Yes...very very bad form...I havent been hip in at least 30 years (if ever)...so I had to google to the urban dictionary to learn its meaning....wow...
If MU may face a lawsuit...do you want the train pulling posts, defined, and  blown up for the jury to read? Alums appearing coarse to the occurence is just not good.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Glad to know there's a fellow Red Knight in here! 05 alum.

Gabe has attended Orange County Lutheran High (OLU). My first cousin teaches there, and its a very high quality, but conservative parochial Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod school.

I dont know how material such is to his family in college choice.

However, Gabe may share my impression coming out of Milw Luth HS, and with a similar backround, ...namely, that MU was welcoming and warm to protestants...and ND was..well, not so much.

I'd guess the family will be very impressed and comfortable with  the sincere, straight talking evangelistic zeal of Buzz Williams...hes like many of the teachers/coaches at OLU...and a continuation of Gabe's upbringing, to this point.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
Yes...very very bad form...I havent been hip in at least 30 years (if ever)...so I had to google to the urban dictionary to learn its meaning....wow...
If MU may face a lawsuit...do you want the train pulling posts, defined, and  blown up for the jury to read? Alums appearing coarse to the occurence is just not good.

"You're honor, I've marked this next exhibit 'Exhibit C'. Now Mr. Buzz Williams, could you please read what this says?"
"It looks like a print off from a basketball message board with a quote from something named 'Golden Avalanche' talking about trains."
"I rest my case"
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454/the-chewbacca-defense

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
Sounds like York had a very good visit. MU will be in the hunt until the end. Was worried it'd be tough sell coming off the South Bend visit. Just need to close him down unlike Dawson, Shaw, Hood, Faust, et al.

Think MU needs to hit some recruiting buzz. Feels a little stale.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »
Sounds like York had a very good visit. MU will be in the hunt until the end. Was worried it'd be tough sell coming off the South Bend visit. Just need to close him down unlike Dawson, Shaw, Hood, Faust, et al.

Good news...Source?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »

Yeah - Getting Mayo this spring was a little stale.  Landing the Number 2 player in the state of Virginia for 2012 was a little premature, and far too long ago for most of us to remember.  Getting TJ Taylor, a consensus 4-Star coming out of High School this spring..also makes it a little stale lately.

Though I do realize given another of your recent posts - you have come to expect news every month of the off-season as has been the case in Buzz's previous years here. 

Hopefully we do land York, and it isn't a case of missing on a 5-star like Dawson and high 4-stars Hood, and Faust.  I'm sure looking at the MU roster, Dawson and Hood and Faust had reservations coming onto a team that had a 5-star Vander, and 2 high 4-stars Jones and Wilson, essentially just 1 class year ahead of them.  Hood and Faust are virtually locks for guaranteed starting spots at Mississippi State and Maryland.  Dawson, might be able to crack the lineup at MSU as a freshman too - but he certainly wasn't going to beat out Jae Crowder for a starting spot at MU at the 4 this year..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 01:44:22 PM »
Sounds like Notre Dame is out of the running

BGI_WesMorgan: 2012 PG Gabe York called #NotreDame coach Mike Brey Wednesday and said it was time to move on. Washington, Marquette and Arizona final three

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »
Wow, somehow it looks like York is not talking at all about the bad press MU is getting, and is instead talking about NDs style of play being a concern, Buzz being hillarious, and the Big East being a great, great conference.  I'm not criticizing the back and forth on the Public Safety policy, and admittedly I haven't read almost any of it so I'm sure valid points are made re: school policy etc., but the idea that that is what a recruit is focused on vs. the basketball opportunity at Marquette vs. somewhere else just seems absurd to me.  From an email forwarded to me from a ND friend, looks like ND is concerned York might prefer MUs style of play to that in South Bend.

"Buzz is hilarious. I love that man. It's in Milwaukee too. That can be good and bad but I'm not worried about the weather really. It's just going to be the best position for me to go in and play. Obviously, the Big East is a great, great league. We'll see what happens."

He said this ran on Notre Dame blogs:

INDIANAPOLIS - The recruitment of four-star combo guard Gabe York has started to accelerate.
 Notre Dame make York's final four.   

Just about a month after publicly naming a top 10 the Orange, Calif., product has trimmed his list down to four contenders after taking a series of unofficial visits. York now has his sights set on making a commitment sooner than later.

"I'm not going to wait until November to commit," York said after his first pool play game at the adidas Invitation on Wednesday. "I'm going to hopefully do it by the end of July or early August just to have my senior year to be with my friends and play with my high school team."

Arizona, Notre Dame, Washington and Marquette received unofficial visits. Now that quartet comprises York's limited list.

York most recently visited Arizona after completing a Midwest swing that included stops at both Notre Dame and Marquette. Washington had received a visit prior to that. The Wildcats have made a strong push with it being close to home and York having friends on campus.

Head coach Sean Miller was among the coaches watching during York's first pool play game.
"There are going to be three guards when I get there," York said. "(Miller) said I'm their No. 1 guard that they want to come there. I take that as a real big honor. If I do end up going there I'm going to work out, I'm going to get right and I'm going to try and get that starting spot."
York commented on both Marquette and Washington.

Marquette: "Buzz is hilarious. I love that man. It's in Milwaukee too. That can be good and bad but I'm not worried about the weather really. It's just going to be the best position for me to go in and play. Obviously, the Big East is a great, great league. We'll see what happens."

Washington: "Everything is just real close. The coaches are great, all of them. I get along with them really well. Lorenzo, he's a great guy. At this point any school I go to I know I'm going to fit very well."
Notre Dame is one potential destination that appears to be trending in a negative direction.
Following the visit York spoke highly of the Irish. Since then some concerns have bubbled up about style of play and how that would fit with how York likes to be utilized.

"It's definitely still a concern," York said. "I still don't understand it fully. It's called the 'burn' offense or something like that. It's just going to have to be what it is if I like that school. I definitely like the coaches."
York allowed some wiggle room to speak with head coach Mike Brey, who attended the first pool play game Wednesday, and perhaps clean up any concerns. Either way, the process will continue to move forward.
"I just think I've seen enough," York said. "This process is great. It's the first time and obviously the only time I've been through it. My brother didn't get to see a lot of it. It's just been a big blessing. But I've seen the four schools I really like and it's just time to make a decision."
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
I still feel adding another guard for 2012 should be our second priority, unless York is committed to playing point. Cadougan will be a senior and we'll have multiple years left for Blue, Jones, Mayo, and Wilson, while bringing in Taylor and Ferguson. Gabe looks like a great player, but that's a lot of combo guards.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »
I still feel adding another guard for 2012 should be our second priority, unless York is committed to playing point. Cadougan will be a senior and we'll have multiple years left for Blue, Jones, Mayo, and Wilson, while bringing in Taylor and Ferguson. Gabe looks like a great player, but that's a lot of combo guards.

It's been my understanding that Taylor is primarily a point guard, though his size would allow him to play/defend elsewhere as needed. Is that incorrect?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »
It's been my understanding that Taylor is primarily a point guard, though his size would allow him to play/defend elsewhere as needed. Is that incorrect?

I've heard different reports on that. I was also under the impression he was primarily a point, but once he announced Marquette, a number of people indicated he's a 2 who can also play the point. If he's primarily a point it seems we'd have even less immediate need for another guard (as the 1 and 2 would both be pretty well-balanced).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
The article from when he committed, listed Taylor at 6'4" 220 lbs. At that size, his future at MU is at 2 guard, not at the point. I'm w/BrewCity. W/Blue, Mayo, Ferguson and Taylor, we have the 2-guard position more than well covered. Where we're not covered is at the 4. That spot has to be our #1 priority in the '12 recruiting class.