[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I Was Hoping This Would Come To An End  (Read 3626 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
I Was Hoping This Would Come To An End
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
I was hoping all of the Crean to rumors would end with the ten year contract he signed but I guess not. 

A few things to ponder.

1) Why would Crean leave when his ranked team looses only its bottom two scorers next year and gains several new players.

2) Why would Crean leave a place where he's surrounded by friends and family.  His father in law is an Associate Athletic Director.

3) Why would Crean leave when he has a ten year contract to be one of the highest paid coaches in the nation.

Crean is in a near perfect situation at Marquette.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: I Was Hoping This Would Come To An End
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »
Because the grass is always greener someplace else.  Just ask some of the posters here, they think there are a ton of better coaches out there and would love to see him go.

I think Crean is going to win a National Title in the next 20 years, the question is at what school.  It would suck to see him win it elsewhere, but my guess is that is probably what will happen.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:23:07 PM »
Why would a popular senator or governor run for president when the home state is sure to re-elect him/her year after year?

I think that clown suit you wear hinders the flow of oxygen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:34:32 PM »
Why would a popular senator or governor run for president when the home state is sure to re-elect him/her year after year?

I think he wears an eagle suit, Bo and Bruce are the ones wearing clown attire of late.   ;D

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »

Yeah, there aren't ANY senators out there who do just that:

- Robert Byrd
- Harry Reid
- Max Baucus
- Ted Kennedy
- John Warner
- Herb Kohl
- etc...................

Many state governments have term limits which requires them to move on....so if a presidential bid is in the cards...it makes sense

tonyreeder

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »
Ask yourself where it would be easier to win that national championship over the next 20 years.   Kentucky or Marquette.
Freaking wake up people.   This is Kentucky basketball we're talking about.  Arguably the greatest program ever.    Do you think it's possible the name Kentucky may open a few more recruiting doors than the name Marquette.   Are expectations there extraordinarily high?  Absolutely.   Are their fans nuts?  Yep.   Is it one of the most glamorous and high profile jobs in all of basketball.  Absolutely.  If Kentucky comes knocking-Crean's gone.   I don't think Crean will be lacking for money if he goes to UK.   I think he'll make some friends in Kentucky--maybe a pig roast in the neighborhood will help.   Yes, Marquette has a good team coming back, however, give Crean a chance to recruit with the name Kentucky behind him-look out.   He'll need to find someone who can actually coach offense but he'd have Kentucky knocking on the door in a hurry.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 01:09:06 PM »
Wow. Fantastic response. You mean to tell me that all 100 US senators don't run for president every year?

But just off the top of my head, you are aware that Ted Kennedy has run for president...against a sitting president of his own party...despite the fact that he is directly responsible for a woman's death.  And I'm sure you know that Robert Byrd essentially cannot run considering he's a former member of the KKK!!!! But those are great examples.

The point is that Crean would seek the UK job because he is ambitious!!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 01:14:52 PM »

PRN, you have been blasted by a lot of people on this board because they feel that you are critical of Crean whenever/wherever possible simply because you don't like him.

Can you provide everybody some rationale on why you don't like him? I think that might help people understand your position.

As it stands now, you just appear bitter about something, and you appear to try to discredit Crean whenever possible.

I don't think Crean is God, and I'm open to all points of view (even critical ones)... but I (and others) are having a tough time understanding where you are coming from most of the time.

I don't want this to sound like an attack... I'm honestly just asking the questions because I'm tired of everybody using inuendos or "beating around the bush".

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 01:16:49 PM »
No, I am just pointing out that your analogy sucked.  But, if you want to get granular about it, I am sure I can come up with another 20-30 senators/representatives who have had the success of multiple terms and have not aimed for the presidency.  Believe it or not, some people are happy with their jobs!

thekahoona

• Starter
while there may be reasons for TC to stay...
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 01:21:20 PM »
i agree that if kentucky comes calling, he's gone.

i go back to statements that crean has made about his staff turnover (the most recent example from rosiak's season wrap up): "You want your guys to be in demand, because that means you’ve got a really good staff." and "That’s what you’re always trying to do, get your young coaches into a position where they can move on and move up as well."

why would he not apply the same rule to himself?

all that said, i hope he stays.  he's good for the program and good for the university.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 01:25:41 PM »
It would all come to an end if Crean would just say he's not interested.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 03:27:13 PM »
It would all come to an end if Crean would just say he's not interested.

Nick Saban wasn't interested in the Alabama job, either.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 04:14:37 PM »
Ask yourself where it would be easier to win that national championship over the next 20 years.   Kentucky or Marquette.
Freaking wake up people.   This is Kentucky basketball we're talking about.  Arguably the greatest program ever.    Do you think it's possible the name Kentucky may open a few more recruiting doors than the name Marquette.   Are expectations there extraordinarily high?  Absolutely.   Are their fans nuts?  Yep.   Is it one of the most glamorous and high profile jobs in all of basketball.  Absolutely.  If Kentucky comes knocking-Crean's gone.   I don't think Crean will be lacking for money if he goes to UK.   I think he'll make some friends in Kentucky--maybe a pig roast in the neighborhood will help.   Yes, Marquette has a good team coming back, however, give Crean a chance to recruit with the name Kentucky behind him-look out.   He'll need to find someone who can actually coach offense but he'd have Kentucky knocking on the door in a hurry.

Agree..if Kentucky offers...he's gone.  No two ways about it.

ecompt

• All American
If TC's as bad as some people here say he is...
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 04:18:08 PM »
why would Kentucky, one of the big names in college ball (especially back in the 1950s, when they were heavily implicated in point-shaving) be interested in him?

feedback