Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Lakers Going After Hurley by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:19:28 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by SaveOD238
[Today at 05:52:02 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chicago Tribune painting unflattering picture of MU...  (Read 26045 times)

ecompt

• All American
Chicago Tribune painting unflattering picture of MU...
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
with big story on how the school handled the reports. I cannot post a link here at work but it is on the AP sports wire.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: Chicago Tribune painting unflattering picture of MU...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-marquette-sex-assaults-20110621,0,7693231,full.story

Thought about posting this in the Dave Singleton thread since it took *that* turn but it needs its own line.
In repeated statements to authorities, the woman in the Feb. 27 incident described accepting an invitation to the athlete's campus apartment that day. Though the two had a sexual relationship in the past, he suddenly had stopped calling or spending time with her, she said.

Once there, they began to have consensual sex, she said. However, the woman said, she tried to get off the bed and leave after he made disparaging comments to her and wouldn't explain why he had stopped contacting her.

She said she told him to stop but that he refused. She said she fought back but that he was too strong for her and held her down.

The woman agreed to speak to the Tribune on the condition that her name not be used.

Neither the athlete nor his Milwaukee-based lawyer returned calls seeking comment. The athlete, whom the Tribune is not identifying because he has not been charged with a crime, has told authorities and school administrators that the sex was consensual, according to multiple sources.

After leaving the athlete's apartment, the woman said, she returned to her dorm and tried to sleep. After a fitful few hours, she confided in a resident assistant about the previous night's events. The RA sent her directly to the security department, where, the woman says, two on-duty officers told her they were not sure that the encounter could be classified as a crime.

The woman said she met with [STEPHANIE] Quade, who encouraged her to focus on her schoolwork and mental health rather than pursuing charges, the woman said. Quade also asked if she had thought about praying about the situation, the woman said. She said she left the meeting in tears.

"I felt like they were trying to get me to be quiet and disappear," she said. "I've never been made to feel so dumb, so stupid and so much like I didn't matter."

Paints things in a different light. We should be glad this story is being published in June, not March.

groove

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
Not good at all. Administration looks at best inept, at worst it looks like it tried to hide and protect the players. Hopefully it is a wake up call for the administration, players and head coach. Players and administration need to be on best behavior for the near future. Classy bunch we have there.  It doesn't reflect well on MU from top to bottom.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »
For those of you who say that MU Public Safety shouldn't report this stuff to the police....well...the State of Wisconsin disagrees:

"The university now acknowledges that failing to notify police was a violation of state law, which requires campus security departments to report any possible crimes to local authorities. School officials also did not tell police about a sexual attack allegation involving four athletes in October."

Wow is that pathetic.  I have said all I am going to say about this in previous threads, but the mere fact that they have consistently, knowingly or unknowingly, violated state law really shows they completely mismanaged this from the beginning.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:42:05 PM »
"In fact, Marquette administrators told the Tribune that they have violated their reporting obligations for the past 10 years."

This to me says it all...For 10 years this was occurring, but nothing was said by the police. Then student athletes, specifically high profile basketball athletes are accused, and BAM it becomes a huge issue and MU is put under fire. Are you telling me that for 10 years the MPD was completely unaware of this fact?

groove

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
"In fact, Marquette administrators told the Tribune that they have violated their reporting obligations for the past 10 years."

This to me says it all...For 10 years this was occurring, but nothing was said by the police. Then student athletes, specifically high profile basketball athletes are accused, and BAM it becomes a huge issue and MU is put under fire. Are you telling me that for 10 years the MPD was completely unaware of this fact?

yup direct the blame away from the slime ball players and inept administration to the MPD.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:47:20 PM by groove »

LA

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »

I get it, this probably should have been been discovered long ago and yes most likely came to light because it involved student athletes. Seriously though...it is a shame either way and I certainly don't think you can place the blame on MPD for this one.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:52:43 PM »
One question I have is why she never went straight to the police.  I am sure if I was ever the victim of a crime on campus I would be notifying the police before calling upon public safety.  I just find it strange that she let this incident remain hidden from the proper authorities for such an extended period of time.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »
I count one player involved in the story listed above. How did this incident gain three more supporting actors from the team?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:47 PM »
The handling of the February incident is embarrassing.  Some heads should roll - starting with Stephanie Quade and the head of Public Safety.

Also, I hope that the individual involved in the February incident is no longer on team.  I don't know enough about the October incident to comment on that one, but I'm hoping the allegations are far less serious in nature.

Maybe Stephanie Quade needs to pray on that!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »
Is anybody going to point out that they were in the middle of consensual sex when this allegedly happened? Come on. I'm not condoning or condemning, but let's get real here.

Also no coincidence that the Tribune runs this story as all local teams are being pummeled regularly by MU. New coaches at both depaul and Loyola whispering in their ear perhaps?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
None us of will ever know whether the act was consensual or not.   However, the handling of the situation is what I find most appalling.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
Is anybody going to point out that they were in the middle of consensual sex when this allegedly happened? Come on. I'm not condoning or condemning, but let's get real here.

Also no coincidence that the Tribune runs this story as all local teams are being pummeled regularly by MU. New coaches at both depaul and Loyola whispering in their ear perhaps?

I agree PRN - the woman said it started as consensual..and the two had a previous sexual relationship. So the girl agrees to bang the athlete but somewhere in the middle of it starts busting his balls for...why didn't you call me..etc...and in those moments decides she doesn't want to continue sex??  Plus DPS Head completely denied her account of the immediate aftermath.  And yeah..vaginal scarring probably can happen if you haven't had sex in awhile and are hooking up with a tall hoops player!

The woman sounds at best unstable.  She had every right to go the police immediately on her own regardless of what MU DPS did/did not do.  If she wasn't happy with their assessment - why not go to police.  She certainly has no problem making herself out to be the victim in all of this...when in my view she is equally responsible....you don't start having sex with a dude, that you've had sex with in the past, and then start getting into a fight/altercation with him while inside of you...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
None us of will ever know whether the act was consensual or not.   However, the handling of the situation is what I find most appalling.

For that you will be skewered, called every name in the book, etc, etc.  How dare you question MU and how they handled this.  How DARE the Chicago Tribune do this.....bastards.  They do not know they are dealing with!!!   :-\  Good to see a few people found sanity, including those in the article and even a few here in this thread.   MU looks terrible in this whole thing and if people don't think the perception is of a cover-up, you're kidding yourselves.  Whether there was one or not, that's a perception because of how badly they screwed the pooch to run and tell the Athletic Department what happened but didn't tell the Police as they were REQUIRED to by law.

But no, those of us that dare bring up the reality of what others are seeing, what the perception is in parts of the community, in this article, in other forms of the media, we're just a-holes bent on seeing things one way.  The reality is, we're showing what others are absolutely thinking and seeing and chastised for having the nads to state it, rather than sticking our heads in the sand and pretend that perception doesn't exist.  

MU BLEW IT BIG TIME on this!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:12:52 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »
I agree PRN - the woman said it started as consensual..and the two had a previous sexual relationship. So the girl agrees to bang the athlete but somewhere in the middle of it starts busting his balls for...why didn't you call me..etc...and in those moments decides she doesn't want to continue sex??  Plus DPS Head completely denied her account of the immediate aftermath.  And yeah..vaginal scarring probably can happen if you haven't had sex in awhile and are hooking up with a tall hoops player!

The woman sounds at best unstable.  She had every right to go the police immediately on her own regardless of what MU DPS did/did not do.  If she wasn't happy with their assessment - why not go to police.  She certainly has no problem making herself out to be the victim in all of this...when in my view she is equally responsible....you don't start having sex with a dude, that you've had sex with in the past, and then start getting into a fight/altercation with him while inside of you...

That's it, rip down the woman....it's usually their fault.  Hell, I'll bet she asked for it.   ::)

Because we all know a woman never changes her mind and could very easily tell someone to stop in the middle of it.  Considering your short span of a few seconds, I doubt that happens to you often but for those that last more than a few it's more than possible.  But that's right, she's unstable.   ::)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »
slime ball players

It sounds to me like the player(s) is/are being condemned on one side's version of the night's events.  If her version is accurate, then he is a slime ball but there could be a LOT more to this than meets the eye.  I would have a hard time convicting the young man for sexual assault just based on her own version of the event.

And to make sure I'm being PC, I too think the incident could have been handled better and am sympathetic for the girl's predicament.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »

What is there to get real about.  You make it sound like when two people are going at it that one party can't say stop...is that what you are saying?  I hope not, but that sure as heck sounds like what you are saying.

Yes, it's a Loyola conspiracy.  WOW   ::)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »
I think its unfair to judge the player based on one side of the story.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:35:02 AM by TallTitan34 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 10:35:39 PM »
MU screwed the pooch, but this was a hit piece. Nancy Snow's quote added nothing to the story. Saying the October incident was 4 athletes "sexually attacking" someone is meant to be sensational, and is not close to accurate.

Like I've said all along, MU handled this poorly. But this article had a good deal of slant to it as well.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »
MU BLEW IT BIG TIME on this!

This is a little over the top.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
Are you saying the Oct incident involving 4 players was far less serious in nature?  
Because I find the allegations related to the Feb incident involving 1 player to be very serious.

Regardless, someone in administration or public safety needs to be held accountable.  Because 'sorry, we'll try to do better in the future' is not good enough.

MU screwed the pooch, but this was a hit piece. Nancy Snow's quote added nothing to the story. Saying the October incident was 4 athletes "sexually attacking" someone is meant to be sensational, and is not close to accurate.

Like I've said all along, MU handled this poorly. But this article had a good deal of slant to it as well.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
Are you saying the Oct incident involving 4 players was far less serious in nature?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:58 PM »
I'm really not sure what happened, and I don't think anyone on this board does. Whatever happened, it is unfortunate that a media outlet grabbed it and ran with the story. I feel bad for the young lady, but again, I don't really know the facts. Hopefully, the truth will eventually come out, but until then all of these posts are just guesses. One side can not tell the entire story. I'm sure whoever the student/athlete is they have been advised not to speak because it never went to court. That is not the athletes fault! It's just common sense. That doesn't place blame on one side or the other. Eventually, everyone has to answer to our maker. Until then, I don't feel it is wise to pass judgement on an issue you know very little about. News media, and the rumors that go with it are not necessarily accurate. I hope all works out for all parties involved.

A couple things certain. This kind of negative attention doesn't help Marquette as a university or basketball program. Second,  Chicos has proven consistently over the past couple of years that he has truly become a Marquette basher. Everyone of his posts seems to dwell on negatives. I once thought you were a supporter of the university, but I can see that is not true anymore. What went wrong? Please don't say you haven't become ultra negative, because that would be hiding from the truth.

I hope Jimmy Butler's draft night can be special, and we can move ahead and focus on the positives of what is accomplished on the Marquette campus, and in the Marquette Basketball program. There are many, many things to be excited about.

Go Marquette!

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:46 PM »
I agree PRN - the woman said it started as consensual..and the two had a previous sexual relationship. So the girl agrees to bang the athlete but somewhere in the middle of it starts busting his balls for...why didn't you call me..etc...and in those moments decides she doesn't want to continue sex??  Plus DPS Head completely denied her account of the immediate aftermath.  And yeah..vaginal scarring probably can happen if you haven't had sex in awhile and are hooking up with a tall hoops player!

The woman sounds at best unstable.  She had every right to go the police immediately on her own regardless of what MU DPS did/did not do.  If she wasn't happy with their assessment - why not go to police.  She certainly has no problem making herself out to be the victim in all of this...when in my view she is equally responsible....you don't start having sex with a dude, that you've had sex with in the past, and then start getting into a fight/altercation with him while inside of you...

are you kidding me?  you won't let anything disrupt your enjoyment of marquette basketball, will you?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 11:21:23 PM »
are you kidding me?  you won't let anything disrupt your enjoyment of marquette basketball, will you?

Absolutely not.  Nor do I ever choose to find people guilty until proven innocent, nor do I continue to believe in one's guilt when never charged with a crime.  We've heard the woman's side now...but nothing from the player, nor will we ever.  We know this was a consensual sexual relationship in the past, and was that evening..until a certain point (apparently)...that is far from rape in my view..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback