Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Based on your impressions, Tom Crean will be the head coach of what team for the 2007-2008 season?

Marquette University
80 (87.9%)
University of Michigan
0 (0%)
University of Kentucky
4 (4.4%)
Miami Heat
0 (0%)
U. of Wisconsin - Parkside
7 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Where will Tom Crean be coaching next year?  (Read 3547 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Where will Tom Crean be coaching next year?
« on: March 23, 2007, 09:07:53 AM »
It's that time of the year again where speculation runs rampant as to where Tom Crean will be the coach. So where do you think TC will be coaching? Does he stay at MU where he could build his own legacy? Or does he finally jump ship and head to a big state school? Or does he join Dwyane on South Beach? Cast your vote.

PS: As I see it, TC ain't goin' nowhere.
We Are Marquette

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Where will Tom Crean be coaching next year?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:23:20 AM »
If the domino game gets rolling (like it did in '03 when Roy Williams left KU to go to UNC), I might add U of Florida to this list.

If Donovan goes to Kentucky, I'd guess Crean's name would be linked to that opening too.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:58:29 AM »
i just heard izzo's named mentioned for kentucky job..that would put msu near the top of this poll

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:02:55 AM »
If Tom Crean is offered the Kentucky job he should take it.  If he doesn't he'll always wonder whether he would have succeeded in that kind of pressure cooker.  Is he the most qualified for the job?  NO.  That said, he may look at it as his destiny job.  I would say chances are that he would be third choice behind Donovan and Few.  I doubt Donovan leaves Florida unless they win the championship.  If so its a toss up.  As for Few, the only red mark is the drug bust of his star frosh.  Kentucky may question how that happened.  Coach Crean is in the Rupp and Hall mold.  Discipline and intensity.  The issue is whether you can recruit players to play that style and win.  Tubby couldn't.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:17:01 AM »
Yeah, the Izzo thing made me worry 1% more.  Greed is always a wildcard.  Say UK throws a lump sum $15m plus $2m/year at Izzo.  Hard to pass up if you're greedy.  He leaves, and Crean is the next person they call at MSU.

Bottom line, all of the guys UK is dreaming about .. all of them are very wealthy men to begin with.  I'd think the UK job would just be pure hell with those kind of fans wanting NCs every year.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:40:23 AM »
If Tom Crean is offered the Kentucky job he should take it.  If he doesn't he'll always wonder whether he would have succeeded in that kind of pressure cooker.  Is he the most qualified for the job?  NO.  That said, he may look at it as his destiny job.  I would say chances are that he would be third choice behind Donovan and Few.  I doubt Donovan leaves Florida unless they win the championship.  If so its a toss up.  As for Few, the only red mark is the drug bust of his star frosh.  Kentucky may question how that happened.  Coach Crean is in the Rupp and Hall mold.  Discipline and intensity.  The issue is whether you can recruit players to play that style and win.  Tubby couldn't.

I think the Kentucky hiring process will be similar to the North Carolina hiring process when Doherty was hired.  Everyone is interested in the job but after further review, coaching options 1 through 5 or so will decline the position and that is where a second tiered coach like a Jay Wright or Tom Crean get to the top of the list.  Izzo and Donovan might be intrigued by the position but I doubt they leave.  I think Gillespie is the guy but if he declines TC might get an interview.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 10:41:02 AM »
If Crean leaves to go anywhere, good luck to him.  He's been at MU for 8 years now and has elevated our program to a level that I we would be in much better position to hire a quailified coach than we were when Crean was hired.  Crean has been good for MU and MU has been good for Crean.

What's the point of being concerned every time his name is mentioned?  My only hope is that if he does leave, he lets his intentions be made soon so that he have the best-qualified pool to choose from.  Until he announces that he's leaving, I'll assume he'll be the MU coach next year and consider it good news.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:14:23 AM »
Marquette. Next question.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 11:16:06 AM »
One and done in the Tourney in four of five years...he's staying put and should be determined to get back to the Final Four.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 01:28:41 PM »

Ditto... can't you guys let this go??  He's not going anywhere and if he does, we can worry at that time.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 02:26:04 PM »
I don't think he is leaving this year .However , when and if we start getting back to Sweet 16's or further , than that's a different story .

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 03:44:54 PM »

Ditto... can't you guys let this go??  He's not going anywhere and if he does, we can worry at that time.

Apparently 90% of us aren't worried at all. TC's track record speaks for itself.
We Are Marquette

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »
Exactly... none of us are worried so then why do we keep bringing this up??  It's a dead issue and we're probably giving Katz a chubby by bringing his name up.  I'm much more worried about DJ staying than I am about Crean leaving.

I actually voted for Parkside so there's more than 90% that think he's staying!    :P  The people that actually think he is leaving... 4ever & PRN
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

feedback