Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler sits down with ESPN's Andy Katz  (Read 9863 times)

GOMU85

• Starter
Jimmy Butler sits down with ESPN's Andy Katz
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
Jimmy Butler is an inspiration...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6670347
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:44:43 PM by GOMU85 »

tower912

• All American
Re: Jimmy Butler sits down with ESPN's Andy Kats
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
Wow.   Just wow.   What a great story.   And good on Buzz for bringing that non-traditional juco to MU.  It clearly was a positive combination.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Jimmy Butler sits down with ESPN's Andy Katz
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »
Good on Jimmy.  Good on the Lamberts.  Good on Buzz keeping Jimmy's secrets close just like he kept Otule's vision issues close.

Buzz not turning Jimmys life into a marketing pitch for the young man... blows my mind.  If I were Jimmy that would be on the tip of my tongue for every interview.  Good on him for trying to make it as a hard working individual instead of on marketing.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »
Has this been posted yet:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Butler-110610-test

It makes everything Jimmy has said about being a leader, about being a glue guy, about 1000 times more poignant. Freaking amazing story, and no one ever knew the whole time he was at Marquette.

Buzz's Tin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:34:38 PM »
Great, great story. Best of luck to Jimmy

LA

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:10 AM »
Simply an amazing story. The type of person that can not only survive but succeed after such a turbulent start in life only comes around once in a while.

Jimmy is an excpetional young man and I am extremely proud he is a fellow MU alum. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:11:16 AM »
I'm not sure if it's a "great" story but surely it was inspiring.

But this...really says a lot about the impact his story has made on the NBA and himself:

"His story," one GM said. "is one of the most remarkable I've seen in all my years of basketball. There were so many times in his life where he was set up to fail. Every time he overcame just enormous odds. When you talk to him -- and he's hesitant to talk about his life -- you just have this feeling that this kid has greatness in him."

Butler is fine with that interpretation. But there's another one that he fears.

"Please, I know you're going to write something. I'm just asking you, don't write it in a way that makes people feel sorry for me," he said. "I hate that. There's nothing to feel sorry about. I love what happened to me. It made me who I am. I'm grateful for the challenges I've faced. Please, don't make them feel sorry for me."

And I didn't know this:

"By April of 2008, Butler had offers from Marquette, Kentucky, Clemson, Mississippi State and Iowa State."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:17:21 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:28 AM »
Holy crap...what a flippin' story!!

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:14:31 AM »
That was a well kept secret.  When his parents were introduced on Sr. Night, I did question it.  As I recall, they said when he arrived that one of the reasons he went to JC was because his family was poor and he came from a small town where he could not afford AAU ball or get exposure in High School.

More impressive to me, though, is that through all of this he still graduated High School on time.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »
Is that Chad Ford column an insider story? the link doesn't seem to work...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
That was a well kept secret.  When his parents were introduced on Sr. Night, I did question it.  As I recall, they said when he arrived that one of the reasons he went to JC was because his family was poor and he came from a small town where he could not afford AAU ball or get exposure in High School.

More impressive to me, though, is that through all of this he still graduated High School on time.

+33

Basketball aside, continuing to go to high school and to graduate in 4 years despite all that he had gone through really tells you what type of person Jimmy is. I obviously wanted him to succeed in the NBA because he's a MU alum, but now I'll be rooting for him even harder because of what he has overcome.

(BTW, the Ford link didn't work for me either)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:49:36 AM by Skatastrophy »

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »
+1 thanks.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
Wow...what an amazing story.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
That's absolutely incredible. Kudos to Buzz and company for keeping it under wraps until Jimmy was ready to tell the story himself. Talk about a will to overcome, that's one tough-ass kid.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »
The  basketball "Blind Side" story.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
The  basketball "Blind Side" story.
As I finished reading the story, I first thought, how could they not make a movie out of it.  But then again, it is probably too similar to Blind Side.

It is just a great story.  I am considering laminating a printout of it and every time my 13 year old daughter complains about, well, pretty much anything, I can pull out the article and ask, "really, that is a problem for you?"  And, no, I don't mean that as a threat to kick her out of the house!  I mean it as a way to keep perspective on what is and isn't a difficulty in life.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
As I finished reading the story, I first thought, how could they not make a movie out of it.  But then again, it is probably too similar to Blind Side.

It is just a great story.  I am considering laminating a printout of it and every time my 13 year old daughter complains about, well, pretty much anything, I can pull out the article and ask, "really, that is a problem for you?"  And, no, I don't mean that as a threat to kick her out of the house!  I mean it as a way to keep perspective on what is and isn't a difficulty in life.

Besides, Mrs. Lambert would have to play her own part. No movie actress could surpass her beauty on the inside nor match it on the outside. Just my opinion.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 05:34:35 PM »
Besides, Mrs. Lambert would have to play her own part. No movie actress could surpass her beauty on the inside nor match it on the outside. Just my opinion.
Michelle Lambert of Tomball, 10 miles nw of our home, certainly reminds one of the inspiring Blind Side movie...here is a pic of the fam.

EDIT: I had the pic from another link--not realizing the beautiful and kind Ms. Lambert is in the ESPN photos too

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&rlz=&q=cache:Jr_o0BqpJioJ:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Butler-110610-test+http%3A//sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/columns/story%3Fcolumnist%3Dford_chad%26page%3DButler-110610-test&ct=clnk

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:40:29 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

Warrior97

• Scholarship Player
Re: Jimmy Butler sits down with ESPN's Andy Katz -
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
Now this is headline news.

http://espn.go.com/nba/

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 12:23:24 PM »
Front page.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
This is already a better movie than Blind Side and it's not even a movie it's a reality show.
Love ya, Jimmy! The NBA not only wants you, its needs you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »
I guess the one thing I would add is that Jimmy knows he has two homes . . .

The Lambert's back in Texas.

And Marquette University.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
Someones missing here
Conspicuous by absence
Can't make Buzz look bad
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.