collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fab Melo = Trevor Mbakwe?  (Read 10886 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Fab Melo = Trevor Mbakwe?
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
And a few short weeks after taking him off ignore, 84 rejoins chicos. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »

I have no idea. Neither do you.
And it doesn't really matter. Everybody in this situation did as they were instructed and as policy dictated. There was no indication of any wrongdoing or a cover up. They followed a flawed policy and MU changed it, well before the DA's comments, I might add.
Frankly, outside a few chicken littles around here and those already inclined dislike MU (se: UW fans), I don't see this as being terribly damaging to MU's reputation. Case in point: There's a glowing story about Buzz Williams published today by Yahoo!/Rivals, the most read sports site on the Internet, ahead of even ESPN.com. Hundreds of words long, and not one of those words mentions this incident. Why? Because outside Milwaukee nobody cares much. Within a few weeks this will all but be forgotten except by the few dark clouds that patrol this site.
Am I thrilled about the way this was handled? Of course not. And I'm glad MU has taken steps to ensure it won't happen this way again. But I'm not going to cry about it for weeks on end like some others.
I mean, it's not like ESPN's Outside the Lines did an expose on the situation, right? That, I'm sure, would have you deeply troubled about reputation.

Speak for yourself. 

I most certainly think that it would have been far less damaging to MU and the athletes had they referred this to the MPD in October rather than trying to handle it internally (assuming that the athletes truly were innocent).

Had MU reported this in October:
1.  It doesn't lead to a public dressing down of MU by the District Attorney and Chief of Police.
2.  It doesn't lead to an admission that MU's policy was in violation of the requirement to report a crime.
3.  It doesn't lead to several days of negative MU storyline dominating the Milwaukee NEWS  coverage (not sports coverage, but hard news) in both March and May.
4.  It doesn't reinforce MU's reputation among local residents of being arrogant and insular
5.  It exonerates the athletes in question, rather than merely getting off due to an inability to conduct an investigation.
6.  It eliminates any appearance of impropriety.

Had the police come that night (and nothing truly happened), then they would have left concluding there was no crime, MU could have closed the book themselves, and there would have been no news coverage at all.

The negative news coverage centered around the fact that MU failed in its duty to report a possible crime.

I find the following statement from the DA troubling: "No law enforcement agency was able to adequately investigate this matter at the time it occurred, and the subsequent efforts by the Milwaukee Police Department were inhibited by the fact that it did not receive this information until several months after the incident occurred"

I don't think its credible that the several days of negative hard news coverage had no impact on the local population. We both know relations between MU and the greater Milwaukee community have often been strained--it has nothing do with sports rivalries, and 100 puff pieces on Buzz Williams won't change that. 

Go ahead and have the last word. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
DOMINATED Milwaukee news coverage for several days?
Boy, nothing I can say at this point can top that.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 06:39:10 PM »
And a few short weeks after taking him off ignore, 84 rejoins chicos. 

Unfortunately, people quote his posts, which limits the "ignore" feature.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
+1. In the old days only guys like Badgermaniac and BBFran would go after MU over this. In April 2008 Chicos and 84 joined the club.

That's because in the olden days, 1999-2008 no MU players (let alone 4) were accused of Sexual Assault nor did the University fail in it's policy nor did we have the MPD, District Attorney and others come down on MU.

Always those pesky details.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 02:40:33 PM »

That's because in the olden days, 1999-2008 no MU players (let alone 4) were accused of Sexual Assault nor did the University fail in it's policy nor did we have the MPD, District Attorney and others come down on MU.

Question - Why do you continue to be such a fan of a school and team that so consistently lets you down, embarasses you, causes you to feel squirmy, recruits too many JUCO's, is a bunch of choking dogs who pee themselves, and have alarmingly dropped from being a 5th and 6th place Big East team, to a 9th place team - albeit, one that actually advances to the Sweet 16?  Then again, they only did advance to Sweet 16 due to favorable matchups, and college basketball being down this year, right? 

Sadly, most all of the above has been your M.O. around here well before the Sexual Assualt allegations came to light. So, this isn't a cause and effect case of where because MU had 4 athletes accused of sexual assult, you then became a hater/skeptic/cynic of the program.  That started in April of 2008.  Again those pesky little details.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »

The University "failed in its policy?". WTF does that mean? The policy in place and the one followed (allowing the alleged victim the option of having his/her grievance addressed by university or municipal authorities) was the same one in place from 1999-2008.

Also glad to see you're still an empty vessel concerned more about accusations and the perception they can afford the haters than the fact that YOUR university found allegation of sexual assault (love how you capitalized those words - did it give you a woody?) groundless. Oh, I forgot. As of April 8. 2008 any representative of that university can't be trusted.

Continue if you must posing as the loyal fan and conscience of Marquette University. So far you've managed to convince yourself and perhaps one or two others. Most see what you've been up to since April 2008 though.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »

Don't believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty, huh? Apparently being accused of something is as good as a conviction in your book...even after the young men have been cleared.

Whatever the case, you're going to get this board talking about you so I guess you're getting exactly what you want.

feedback