collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fab Melo = Trevor Mbakwe?  (Read 10885 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Fab Melo = Trevor Mbakwe?
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
Schadenfreude is wonderful!

One of my favorite sports moments as a Packer fan over the past couple of years was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoJ_K4Mlt4w

The fact that the Packers won the Super Bowl the very next year just makes it even more sweet!

I have never seen that video before.  It just made my Favorites.   ;D   Nice find!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
Yes, there is closure.   Not enough evidence to bring charges = closure.    I'm not saying, and I never have, that I think this has been handled well at any point on the continuum.  But some people are treating this approximately like that cult was handling 5/21/11.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's all about Blue and incidents at Marquette, yet again  :-[

My lord do we ever take ourselves too seriously sometimes. Every win puts us in the Final Four and every loss means we're worse than Centenary, and that's off the court as well as on it.

Listen, Fab Melo had an awful season. Finally, another Big East school seems to have gotten the short end of the stick when recruiting a promising big. Not only on the court, but off it. Haha, your player sucks and he's a d-bag.

Yet again, here comes the "Marquette faithful", clamoring over what we are doing wrong and lamenting our own woes. The same people who have been hand-wringing for the past 3 months about these issues can't look at this situation and say "you know what, stuff happens to other people too, let's get some schadenfreude in and move on", instead we have to bring it all up again, lament lament lament, cry and diminish our own program.

I'm sorry, but this attitude and mindset has just become a bit grating after hearing the same thing drone on all off-season. As I said before, maybe I'm a d-bag for being glad that someone other than us is going through this right now, and maybe I'm a d-bag for thinking that we should stop surmising about situations we don't know anything about because we weren't there, and maybe I'm a d-bag for thinking that Marquette did the right thing by handling this situation by protocols they've had in place for years and not reporting a crime they don't believe occurred.

My god, the season can't start soon enough. Thank jeebus the Gold Cup is on to distract me from all this, at least periodically.

I think you are missing people's point. Most people are bringing up our problems to control the arrogance on this board. I get it is a message board but posters act like MU's stuff doesn't stink at times. I'm not one to stone another program when similar stuff happens at our University. I'm sure even shadier stuff happens at MU that I don't know about, but I just care about enjoying college basketball and the positives. I don't think posters should chastise ANY programs (ours or a rival). Let's stick to basketball before we look like hypocrites.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »
Yes, there is closure.   Not enough evidence to bring charges = closure.    I'm not saying, and I never have, that I think this has been handled well at any point on the continuum.  But some people are treating this approximately like that cult was handling 5/21/11.    

So the "closure" you got Tower was the university getting slammed by anyone that matters in law enforcement (District Attorny, MPD)...that's some closure.  Hoo Rah.

You obviously haven't read the musings of fans, non-fans, etc about how MU handled this situation, what the remarks of the Chief of Police were, the remarks of the District Attorney, public apologies by MU, public apologies by the Athletic Department.  These four kids could have been totally cleared if we as a university didn't F this up so bad.  Instead, there will always be people out there that believe something happened and it can't be proven it didn't.  The worst thing about it is the remarks by law enforcement that really put the hammer to MU for that very reason.

Did she get justice?  Did the players get justice?  Neither did because MU chose not to tell the authorities in a timely fashion.  The effect is that you have a cloud hanging over these kids who were "never charged" but certainly the law enforcement folks were damn pissed off at MU how they handled it....they were "never charged" nor were they fully cleared because too much time had been passed....thus the cloud.  That's closure?

Let's not forget that law enforcement has to be an advocate of justice for BOTH parties, the players and the young woman.  It's amazing to me how much the woman in all this has been crapped on by SOME (not all, not even the majority) of folks here.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »

Did she get justice?  Did the players get justice?  Neither did because MU chose not to tell the authorities in a timely fashion.  The effect is that you have a cloud hanging over these kids who were "never charged" but certainly the law enforcement folks were damn pissed off at MU how they handled it....they were "never charged" nor were they fully cleared because too much time had been passed....thus the cloud.  That's closure?

Let's not forget that law enforcement has to be an advocate of justice for BOTH parties, the players and the young woman.  It's amazing to me how much the woman in all this has been crapped on by SOME (not all, not even the majority) of folks here.  

So you are saying MU should report an alleged sexual assualt to the MPD, that they didn't feel had any merit??  Furthermore, why is it then MU's fault, that the "victim" didn't go to police immediately after the incident?  To most, if we don't get the satisfaction we are looking for in a dispute, and truly feel wronged/violated - we usually escalate the situation.  Why did this girl choose not to?  Furthermore, the "victim" was fairly well acquainted with the alleged perpatrators, as they had each others cell phone numbers, etc..and texted...there was a pre-existing relationship between the parties involved.

The fact MU didn't find any wrongdoing, the MPD didn't indict anyone, etc...yet you continue to harpoon the issue as not being "closed," isn't surprising, as any chance you can take to crap on the basketball program at MU - you pretty much take.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
So you are saying MU should report an alleged sexual assualt to the MPD, that they didn't feel had any merit?? 

Well, that's exactly the way MU now feels.

"Marquette University has acknowledged that it failed to comply with its duty to report sexual assault incidents and promised to report all incidents to Milwaukee police."
http://bit.ly/jFz9gT

Furthermore, why is it then MU's fault, that the "victim" didn't go to police immediately after the incident?  To most, if we don't get the satisfaction we are looking for in a dispute, and truly feel wronged/violated - we usually escalate the situation.  Why did this girl choose not to?  Furthermore, the "victim" was fairly well acquainted with the alleged perpatrators, as they had each others cell phone numbers, etc..and texted...there was a pre-existing relationship between the parties involved.

First, MU had an obligation (which they now acknowledge) to report the incident.

Second, going to the police was the only way to provide justice to both parties. If the athletes were truly innocent, a thorough unbiased investigation by the MPD clearing them would be far more credible than MU's internal kangaroo-court hearing.

Furthermore, the "victim" was fairly well acquainted with the alleged perpatrators, as they had each others cell phone numbers, etc..and texted...there was a pre-existing relationship between the parties involved.

You sound like Whoopie Goldberg here, arguing that it wasn't rape rape.

If it was your daughter claiming she was attacked on a date or at a party, would you still argue that that the alleged attacker is exonerated merely by being "fairly well acquainted" with her, having a "pre-existing relationship", having cell phone numbers, exchanging texts, etc?

The fact MU didn't find any wrongdoing,

Not true . . .

"The students were found to have violated the university's policy against harassment, but a university disciplinary panel determined they were not guilty of sexual assault."
http://bit.ly/kUHco6

the MPD didn't indict anyone, etc...yet you continue to harpoon the issue as not being "closed," isn't surprising, as any chance you can take to crap on the basketball program at MU - you pretty much take.

The MPD didn't clear anyone either.  Because of the delay in reporting, they were unable to perform an adequate investigation.

"The Sensitive Crimes Unit cites the delay in reporting the crimes as a factor for not gathering enough evidence. They say no law enforcement agency was able to adequately investigate the incidents at the time"
http://bit.ly/jFz9gT

you continue to harpoon the issue as not being "closed," isn't surprising, as any chance you can take to crap on the basketball program at MU - you pretty much take.

And the case will never be "closed" because MU screwed up by not reporting it--ensuring that a proper investigation that would have cleared the athletes!!! can never be completed.

The internal investigation will NEVER be viewed as fair, because MU had a vested interest in the outcome.

Even MU admitted that they screwed up and had a duty to report the incident. Why are you still defending them?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »
Per usual 84, you attack the Men's Basketball program at every chance, and I defend.  Blah, blah.  After reading your 15 quote/rebuttal essay:  Please provide your feelings on just one question:

If your daughter were raped or attacked as you SPECULATE here as to what happened (which rape and attack are a far cry from Sexual Harassment), would you not instruct her to go directly to the police, even if MU found nothing substantive of rape?

Why did the girl not go immediately to the police if she didn't get satisfaction from MU DPS?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
Per usual 84, you attack the Men's Basketball program at every chance, and I defend.  Blah, blah.  After reading your 15 quote/rebuttal essay:  Please provide your feelings on just one question:

If your daughter were raped or attacked as you SPECULATE here as to what happened (which rape and attack are a far cry from Sexual Harassment), would you not instruct her to go directly to the police, even if MU found nothing substantive of rape?

Why did the girl not go immediately to the police if she didn't get satisfaction from MU DPS?

Read your signature at the bottom of your posts, remind yourself that it also applies to 84, and walk away (good advice which I all too infrequently follow).

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 05:54:12 PM »
Per usual 84, you attack the Men's Basketball program at every chance, and I defend.  Blah, blah.  After reading your 15 quote/rebuttal essay:  Please provide your feelings on just one question:

Nothing in my post attacked the men's basketball program. Nothing.

In fact, I highlighted that the screwup by the MU DPS and administration prevented a proper MPD investigation that could have eliminated all potential conflict of interest and provided a complete exoneration of the athletes involved (assuming they were innocent).

Meanwhile, your post was filled with your typical errors and misrepresentations.
  • You were wrong for saying that MU had no obligation to report the incident to the MPD. They do.
  • You were wrong for saying that MU found no wrongdoing.  They did.
  • You were wrong for misrepresenting that because MPD didn't indict (sic) anyone, the alleged assault did not occur. In reality, the MPD couldn't investigate because of the delay.
  • You were wrong for trying to blame the victim.

As usual, you fail to own up to your own errors, and instead, accuse me of attacking the Men's Basketball program.  And yet, you can't point to one single thing I wrote that was an attack on the Mens Basketball program, can you?

And as is typically the case with you, instead of admitting that you were mistaken--or coming up with some reasonable counter argument--you attack me personally.

Why don't you have the class (or guts) to admit you were wrong on MU having no obligation to report the incident?  

Why don't you admit you were wrong to say that MU cleared the athletes of any wrongdoing?  

Why don't you admit that the MPD didn't investigate because of the delay--not because they thought there was no crime?

If your daughter were raped or attacked as you SPECULATE here as to what happened
(which rape and attack are a far cry from Sexual Harassment), would you not instruct her to go directly to the police, even if MU found nothing substantive of rape?

Yes, I would instruct her to go the police.

Now its your turn:  If your daughter FELT she had been assaulted by someone she knew, would you instruct her NOT to go to the police because she had a pre-existing relationship with her attacker, exchanged texts, had his cell phone number etc.?  

Wrong question.

Given the potentially high-profile nature of the alleged attackers coupled with the seriousness of the charges, why didn't MARQUETTE insist on a full and complete MPD investigation?

If for no other reason, it would have provided defense against the appearance that MU covered-up the incident.

Finally, I'll say this:  Those four athletes should NOT have let themselves get into this situation in the first place. I take no solace that MU found that they only violated MU's Sexual Harassment policy instead of something more serious.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:02:16 PM by Marquette84 »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »
84 - Difficult to debate when you invent scenarios such as: If your daughter were raped, just because she had a pre-existing relationship with the assailant - would you not instruct her to go to the police??

Comical per usual.  My whole premise and argument in this whole thing is the girl had free will - if she wasn't satisfied with MU DPS's resolution - go to the police.  Why did she not?  That's on her.  If you can find where I wrote that due to her knowing the assailants that "attacked" her, she should NOT have gone to the police...then I'll give you an inch.  But, you took a statement I made (She had a pre-existing relationship with the accused) and added it to it something I've never written (would you not instruct her to go the police), and asked me for a rebuttal.  Why would I rebut something I never said/claimed??

All along I've said the girl should have gone to the police if she was in fact raped/assulted.  The reality, as MU found, and the MPD found - was that she was not raped nor assulted.  If she were, charges would have been filed, and the case would have been turned over to the MPD.

Do you really believe that if MU DPS found a girl who had been raped, with evidence, they would have ignored the girl, not reported, due to the alleged perpatrators being athletes??  Sorry that you have so little confidence in your alma mater - if in fact you went to Marquette in the first place????

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »
My whole premise and argument in this whole thing is the girl had free will - if she wasn't satisfied with MU DPS's resolution - go to the police.  Why did she not?  That's on her.  If you can find where I wrote that due to her knowing the assailants that "attacked" her, she should NOT have gone to the police...then I'll give you an inch.  But, you took a statement I made (She had a pre-existing relationship with the accused) and added it to it something I've never written (would you not instruct her to go the police), and asked me for a rebuttal.  Why would I rebut something I never said/claimed??

All along I've said the girl should have gone to the police if she was in fact raped/assulted.  The reality, as MU found, and the MPD found - was that she was not raped nor assulted.  If she were, charges would have been filed, and the case would have been turned over to the MPD.

Do you really believe that if MU DPS found a girl who had been raped, with evidence, they would have ignored the girl, not reported, due to the alleged perpatrators being athletes??  

I know exactly what your premise was.  Unfortunately, its based on the false conclusion that women in this position act out of free will.  According to the US Department of Justice, 60% of sexual assaults aren't reported to the police.  The reasons range from shame or embarrassment to intimidation or fear.  

I don't think we can conclude anything from here failure to go to police.

That having been said, you're still focused on the wrong question.  

We shouldn't care about why the girl didn't call MPD.  The thing that bothers me is why MARQUETTE didn't call the MPD.

If the MU DPS truly and honestly felt that no crime had been committed, the ONLY way to completely exonerate those four athletes would have been a full and complete police investigation.  The MPD should have been called for the protection of the players.

If MU was convinced that no assault occurred, there could have been no better proof than DNA evidence clearing the athletes.  The Duke lacrosse players were cleared in part because there was no physical DNA evidence connecting them to the accuser.

Marquette now understands that they screwed this up, which is why they admitted they were wrong not to refer the matter to the MPD.  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:32 AM »
Gotta love that 84 really has no idea what went on, yet assumes that a DNA test can clear or convict someone.

Unintentional comedy at its finest.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »

Unintentional comedy at its finest.

The one (unintentionally) redeeming quality in an otherwise vast wasteland.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
I know exactly what your premise was.  Unfortunately, its based on the false conclusion that women in this position act out of free will.  According to the US Department of Justice, 60% of sexual assaults aren't reported to the police.  The reasons range from shame or embarrassment to intimidation or fear. 

I don't think we can conclude anything from here failure to go to police.

That having been said, you're still focused on the wrong question.  

We shouldn't care about why the girl didn't call MPD.  The thing that bothers me is why MARQUETTE didn't call the MPD.
Question for you - If the girl wasn't too sshamed or embarrased or intimidated to report the incident to MU's DPS, what makes you think she'd be ashamed, embarassed or intimidated to report the matter to the Milwaukee police??

Really tragic that you want Marquette to call the police on its students/athletes who are wrongfully accused of such a serious crime as sexual assult/rape.  Harassment is a LONG way from being attacked/assulted/raped, etc.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
The DPS also followed long-standing standard oprating procedures whether or not a student-athlete was involved.  84 is well-intentioned, but the DPS was doing what it had always done for any student, FBOW.  Now, its is well that DPS will follow better SOPs, though this will obviously impact all students at MU facing allegations going forward, again FBOW depending upon circumstances. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
The DPS also followed long-standing standard oprating procedures whether or not a student-athlete was involved.  84 is well-intentioned, but the DPS was doing what it had always done for any student, FBOW.  Now, its is well that DPS will follow better SOPs, though this will obviously impact all students at MU facing allegations going forward, again FBOW depending upon circumstances.  

Exactly correct (except for the well-intentioned part).
The policy itself was flawed. MU has recognized this and rightly changed the policy as a result. But everyone involved did exactly as they were instructed to do, and there is absolutely zero evidence (or even implication from the cops and DA) that the student-athletes in question received preferential treatment or that there was some inappropriate attempt to cover up or impede an investigation.
These facts, of course, won't stop those who wish to criticize the program at every turn from doing so, but they are the facts nonetheless.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:44:15 PM by Pakuni »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
*Yawn*

Something tells me if the past 2 months of arguing didn't convince anyone of anything other than Marquette was right, Marquette was wrong, or Marquette was in a grey area, another thread won't solve it. Not sure there's a new angle anyone will uncover that hasn't already been touched, and doubt there will be anything new said that hasn't already been posted multiple times already.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
Really tragic that you want Marquette to call the police on its students/athletes who are wrongfully accused of such a serious crime as sexual assult/rape.  Harassment is a LONG way from being attacked/assulted/raped, etc.

First, perhaps you should take your complaint up with Marquette, because that "tragic" situation you describe is the official school policy:
"Marquette University has acknowledged that it failed to comply with its duty to report sexual assault incidents and promised to report all incidents to Milwaukee police."

That seems pretty straight forward to me.  If you think they are wrong, stop fighting me on it--take it up with the MU administration.  

Second, can you please explain why you disagree with my statement that an MPD investigation could have done more to more fully exonerate those athletes?  You seem to attack me personally for making this statement, but I don't understand why you disagree that a more complete investigation doesn't help the innocent.

Third, whether you like it or not, a good portion of the general public in Milwaukee and Wisconsin thinks that MU whitewashed this situation and covered it up.   That's not my personal view, and obviously not yours.  But unlike you, I live and work with people who have this view.

Do yourself a favor before you attack me on this again: Watch the video in the link above.  

MU does NOT come off looking good.  We've been criticized by the DA, the Chief of Police, even some of our own students.  And if you lived in the area you can bet that you'd be hearing about it from neighbors, coworkers and others.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
First, perhaps you should take your complaint up with Marquette, because that "tragic" situation you describe is the official school policy:

That seems pretty straight forward to me.  If you think they are wrong, stop fighting me on it--take it up with the MU administration.  

Second, can you please explain why you disagree with my statement that an MPD investigation could have done more to more fully exonerate those athletes?  You seem to attack me personally for making this statement, but I don't understand why you disagree that a more complete investigation doesn't help the innocent.

Third, whether you like it or not, a good portion of the general public in Milwaukee and Wisconsin thinks that MU whitewashed this situation and covered it up.   That's not my personal view, and obviously not yours.  But unlike you, I live and work with people who have this view.

Do yourself a favor before you attack me on this again: Watch the video in the link above.  

MU does NOT come off looking good.  We've been criticized by the DA, the Chief of Police, even some of our own students.  And if you lived in the area you can bet that you'd be hearing about it from neighbors, coworkers and others.  

Still waiting for you to tell me why the girl reported the incident to MU DPS, but was too intimidated, ashamed, embarrased, scared or whatever else you want to contrive - to not report the incident to MPD? 

Lastly,. MPD did its investigation and found nothing to indict the acused on....so, in my view...the athletes in question were exonerated not only by MU's DPS (though guilty of sexual harrasment - god forbid 19 year old boys make unwanted advances/comments toward girls) - but also by the MPD, in that MPD did not bring charges.  End of story.  And for those neighbors, acquaintences, etc., who want to give MU a black eye for how it handled the situation...those same people likely will always take issue with most things Marquette due to its perception as "elitist."

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2011, 02:07:11 PM »
Fixed.

The policy itself was flawed. MU has recognized this and rightly changed the policy as a result.
Yes, it was flawed.  Yet some are here defending it as the right thing to do.

But everyone involved did exactly as they were instructed to do,
Yes and no.  Marquette was instructed (by the law) to report the incident.  Their policy said otherwise.  So MU employees followed MU policy--yet that policy was contrary to the law.

and there is absolutely zero evidence (or even implication from the cops and DA) that the student-athletes in question received preferential treatment or that there was some inappropriate attempt to cover up or impede and investigation.

Without an independent investigation, there is also zero evidence that would have cleared the athletes from the charges, and insulate MU from accusations of a coverup.

In the absence of an MPD investigation, there is a widespread belief among the general public in the Milwaukee area that there WAS some coverup.

These facts, of course, won't stop those who wish to criticize the program at every turn from doing so, but they are the facts nonetheless.

But sometimes, we shoot ourselves in the foot (like not informing the MPD about an accusation of a serious crime).  What I don't understand is the "circle-the-wagons" attitude that Ners has taken.

We know that a lot of people in Wisconsin already think that MU is arrogant and insular. Not referring this case to the MPD is simply reinforcing that belief.

Don't you agree that an MPD investigation clearing the athletes if conducted back in October would have been FAR less damaging to MU's reputation than the way the matter was actually handled?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
The policy itself was flawed. MU has recognized this and rightly changed the policy as a result. But everyone involved did exactly as they were instructed to do, and there is absolutely zero evidence (or even implication from the cops and DA) that the student-athletes in question received preferential treatment or that there was some inappropriate attempt to cover up or impede an investigation.

+1. In the old days only guys like Badgermaniac and BBFran would go after MU over this. In April 2008 Chicos and 84 joined the club.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
Still waiting for you to tell me why the girl reported the incident to MU DPS, but was too intimidated, ashamed, embarrased, scared or whatever else you want to contrive - to not report the incident to MPD? 

Do you know whether the girl reported it to MU DPS?  Hmm.  Maybe one of her friends called.  Hmmm. Maybe someone heard noises and called. Hmmm  Maybe DPS was on a routine patrol and came across the situation. Hmmm. Maybe the RA called. Hmmm. 

Lastly,. MPD did its investigation and found nothing to indict the acused on....so, in my view...the athletes in question were exonerated not only by MU's DPS (though guilty of sexual harrasment - god forbid 19 year old boys make unwanted advances/comments toward girls) - but also by the MPD, in that MPD did not bring charges.  End of story.

Somehow, I don't read this as a statement exonerating the athletes:
"No law enforcement agency was able to adequately investigate this matter at the time it occurred, and the subsequent efforts by the Milwaukee Police Department were inhibited by the fact that it did not receive this information until several months after the incident occurred," Chisholm said in a statement.
http://trib.in/kVZaIC

BTW, if you think that MU was right to conclude that the accusation itself was false, shouldn't they have turned in the girl for making a false report of a crime? 

And for those neighbors, acquaintences, etc., who want to give MU a black eye for how it handled the situation...those same people likely will always take issue with most things Marquette due to its perception as "elitist."

And issues like this are exactly what leads to the perception of being elitist.

Why can't you simply agree that an MPD investigation clearing the athletes if conducted back in October would have been FAR less damaging to MU's reputation than the way the matter was actually handled?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
Do you know whether the girl reported it to MU DPS?  Hmm.  Maybe one of her friends called.  Hmmm. Maybe someone heard noises and called. Hmmm  Maybe DPS was on a routine patrol and came across the situation. Hmmm. Maybe the RA called. Hmmm. 

Hmmm.
Marquette's student newspaper, the Marquette Tribune, quoted Capt. Russell Shaw, associate director of the school's security force, as saying that the department performed several follow-up interviews with the student after her initial report and that she never requested further assistance.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/118783474.html

Hmmm.

According to the MU Department of Public Safety crime log, a student reported being sexually assaulted by an acquaintance between 10:30 and 11:45 p.m. Oct. 30 at Humphrey Hall, a dorm that houses many student athletes. The log states that Milwaukee police assistance was "declined."

Hmmmm.

"At that time a female Marquette student reported to Marquette University Public Safety ..."
http://media.jsonline.com/documents/Chisholm_Marquette_letter.pdf

Hmmm.

"The Marquette University Department of Public Safety investigated the woman's claims after she first made them on October 30. "

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/118783409.html

Hmmmm.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
Hmmm.
Marquette's student newspaper, the Marquette Tribune, quoted Capt. Russell Shaw, associate director of the school's security force, as saying that the department performed several follow-up interviews with the student after her initial report and that she never requested further assistance.

Hmmm.

According to the MU Department of Public Safety crime log, a student reported being sexually assaulted by an acquaintance between 10:30 and 11:45 p.m. Oct. 30 at Humphrey Hall, a dorm that houses many student athletes. The log states that Milwaukee police assistance was "declined."

Hmmmm.

"At that time a female Marquette student reported to Marquette University Public Safety ..."
http://media.jsonline.com/documents/Chisholm_Marquette_letter.pdf

Hmmm.

"The Marquette University Department of Public Safety investigated the woman's claims after she first made them on October 30. "

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/118783409.html

Hmmmm.

None of these reports are inconsistent with a roommate, friend, RA, or other student making the initial call to public safety.

Now, is it too much for you to comment on whether you agree that an MPD investigation clearing the athletes if conducted back in October would have been FAR less damaging to MU's reputation than the way the matter was actually handled?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
None of these reports are inconsistent with a roommate, friend, RA, or other student making the initial call to public safety.

Huh?
Every single news report says it was the accuser who first reported this. Or do you know something the DPS doesn't? Perhaps you shopuld instruct them on how to process DNA evidence.

Now, is it too much for you to comment on whether you agree that an MPD investigation clearing the athletes if conducted back in October would have been FAR less damaging to MU's reputation than the way the matter was actually handled?

I have no idea. Neither do you.
And it doesn't really matter. Everybody in this situation did as they were instructed and as policy dictated. There was no indication of any wrongdoing or a cover up. They followed a flawed policy and MU changed it, well before the DA's comments, I might add.
Frankly, outside a few chicken littles around here and those already inclined dislike MU (se: UW fans), I don't see this as being terribly damaging to MU's reputation. Case in point: There's a glowing story about Buzz Williams published today by Yahoo!/Rivals, the most read sports site on the Internet, ahead of even ESPN.com. Hundreds of words long, and not one of those words mentions this incident. Why? Because outside Milwaukee nobody cares much. Within a few weeks this will all but be forgotten except by the few dark clouds that patrol this site.
Am I thrilled about the way this was handled? Of course not. And I'm glad MU has taken steps to ensure it won't happen this way again. But I'm not going to cry about it for weeks on end like some others.
I mean, it's not like ESPN's Outside the Lines did an expose on the situation, right? That, I'm sure, would have you deeply troubled about reputation.

feedback