[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean getting HAMMERED on the Kentucky board  (Read 5063 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Crean getting HAMMERED on the Kentucky board
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
If you think Crean gets bashed on this board, go to the UK message board.

WOW.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Every candidate is hammered by them
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:23:01 PM »
So are about 15 other candidates being hammered.  Anything short of Jesus H. Christ is hammered over there and 48% of them don't want Christ either.

;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Crean getting HAMMERED on the Kentucky board
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
Go to the Rivals.com UK board, that is where he is getting hammered big time.

There's around 5 Crean threads on there, and the UK faithful don't seem to be clamoring for him to say the least.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »
Yeah, I was there...I was sifting through the (please no way Caliprari) and then the (if it's Pearl I will kill myself) and then I got to the (anything less than Donovan is a disgrace).

Crean is on there for one reason, some idiot television broadcaster in Louisville put his name out there ... when the next "sure thing" is announced then they will burn that guy in effigy. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »
If you think our fan base is bad with comments on Crean, these people at Kentucky are close to insane. I know it's a great program with all the history to go along with it, but why would anyone want to put up with those fans?

Aside from Ashley Judd of course... ;)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
Interesting.

The SAME Crean who led MU over UK in NCAAs?

UK fans are basketball freaks but spoiled ones.

If they don't get a good coach, they'll experience what UNC did with Doughtery. THEN they'll be missing Tubby.
SS Marquette

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
If they don't get a good coach, they'll experience what UNC did with Doughtery. THEN they'll be missing Tubby.

Good comparison.  Whoever it is that gets hired is going to have to produce early and often to keep these fans at bay.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 06:36:11 PM »
You know that they invented the toothbrush in Kentucky.... because anywhere else they would have called it a teethbrush!

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »
I didn't think it would be possible to enjoy the victory over Kentucky to reach the Final 4 more than when it happened.

I think I just enjoyed it more reading that board!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 08:03:09 PM »
a lot of the 'colonels' are still smarting from KO beating them in the sweet 16..., then we pound them again when they're #1 in '03!

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Talk about ridiculous. Holy crap.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
all I have to say is . . .
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 12:03:28 AM »
Andy Katz is on crack.   Seriously.  as if it weren't bad enough that we crushed their most recent FF dreams ..... uh, hello, why the heck would Crean leaves what he has here to get his block knocked off by those crazy UKen fans . . . yikes!

In other news . . . why did Pitino leave UKen for L'Ville? Same reason?

P.S. they showed DWade on Sportscenter tonight dunkin' on UKen in the Elite 8 game during the segment on Tubby Smith  . . . ;-)

... and minutes later Andy Katz says Crean is a good candidate.  Guess they think everyone has retrograde amnesia that watches SC!

Let the rumor mill do what it will, TC is fine by me.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 07:55:09 AM »
pitino left for celtics job i believe..that worked out eh..nothing short of rick pitino will be accepted...crean would leave cause he wouldnt have to "bottom feed" on the last  of the top 100-150recruits..crean could recruit big time there..big salary and if you win and win often fans come around quik..plus to me theres 1 thing better than building a program from nothing...that awakening a sleeping giant..ala ucla..all fans want is w's..

ken. fans are a bit spoiled but it seems perfectly realistic to believe kentucky should be in sweet 16 every year..
my theory is the more successful the coach of the past..rupp..knight the rougher the new guys have it..indiana and kentucky fans are fanatics rather than fans..way of life not part  of life..can u imagine the shadow coach k leaves at duke..i do not want that job!!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 08:26:14 AM »
WFAN's Mike & The Mad Dog had plenty of Marquette talk yesterday as they continually stated the thing that broke Tubby's back was loosing to Marquette in the NCAA's.  They said it wasn't Tubby's fault as D. Wade was clearly the best player on the court that game. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
I agree that Crean could recruit easier at Kentucky but I don't think Kentucky is willing to pay someone like Crean anywhere near the salary he currently makes at Marquette.  $1.7 million to come from Marquette?  No way Kentucky shells over that much money to somebody who hasn't been an NBA Coach or won a few championships...Looking at those Kentucky boards it appears that they think they are above bringing in "up anc coming" coaches and are looking for bigger names like Donovan or even Calipari.  If kentucky offered Crean $1.7 mill + Kentucky fans would perceive that as a slap in their face.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 09:12:27 AM »
couple of things; remember that well-heeled alums and boosters often supplement the salary the school pays..., they could easily offer more than MU does, but TC is also 'supplemented' by a few 'basketball fans' in various ways.
further, TC would love a bigger program, a bigger challenge, a bigger platform, a better recruiting potentiality, more money, prestige,... et al. BUT, I think he would hate the much greater booster pressure as I think he truly resents the pressure he gets at MU, and the admin has been smart enough to treat him w/ respect and gratitude, creating a true "home" for him and his extended family.

Virginia Warrior 77

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 09:31:49 PM »
I believe that Kentucky fans hate Marquette and can't stand the thought that Marquette's coach would come and coach the great Wildcats.  They can't stand the fact that a "lesser" program like Marquette has more than held its own against the vaunted Wildcats:

1968 Mideast Region Semifinals:  Kentucky 107, Marquette 89
1969 Mideast Region Semifinals:  Marquette 81, Kentucky 74
1971 Mideast Region 3rd Place:   Marquette 91, Kentucky 74
1975 Mideast Region 1st Round:  Kentucky 76, Marquette 54
1994 Southest Region 2nd Rd:    Marquette 75, Kentucky 63
2003 Midwest Region Final:        Marquette 83, Kentucky 69

No way the UK athletic dept will even consider TC for the Kentucky job because of the irrational hatred of UK fans for MU basketball.  Spent time growing up in Lexington in the late 60's and the UK fans were beside themselves after the loss to Marquette in 1969.  At the 1975 Mideast Region in Tuscaloosa the UK fans were disgusting in the racial epithets they hurled at the MU players and fans (ironically, even though their team was still predominantly white then, their best player was black (Jack Givens)).  TC's stomach ought to turn at even the thought of coaching at that place.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »
this is a school that built its basketball foundation on a racist coach who stood up on a soapboax and proclaimed, "You couldn't touch my boys with a 10-foot pole" during the 1950s basketball scandal. Then it turned out that "his boys" had taken money to shave points. The same coach who was so ticked off at Al McGuire kicking his butt in 1969 that he had MU banished to the Midwest the following year.
Their fans are pompous jerks who won't accept anything less than perfection, and there are few better things in my life than popping in the VCR tape and watching Dwyane kick their bluegrass butts all over the court.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
I was at the regionals in '69 (damn that Rick Mount) and was totally shocked to hear the UK fans shouting racial epitets at MU, players and fans.  They held up a huge rebel flag and chanted things I won't repeat.  Rupp revelled in it.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 04:51:45 PM »
this is my favorite anti-crean comment

I would rather burn my weiner with a cigar than have Tom Crean coach at Kentucky

damn dude hes not that bad

P.S. they are kidding themselves if they really think they can get Donavon from Florida or Self from Kansas, come on now. I also think its funny that they think that if they get Donavon then Crean will go to Florida
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:54:48 PM by spartan3186 »

feedback