Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Here We Go Again ... Breathless Media Reports That Buzz Is Leaving For Texas A&M  (Read 23920 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Brent Zwerneman, is Don Zwernemans kid, a lawyer/friend of over 20 years. Brent tried to get the sports Info director job at AM, and instead runs the ultimate aggie inf website...he has very good access to insiders at AM. Richard Jutice is a Houston Chronicle writer, who covers baseball best, and came to Houston fron Dallas  Morning news.  He is not on the inside of much viz colleg ball, so far.
Here is Brent's posting in the Houston Chronicle, that Buzz is the no.1 target of AM.:
http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2011/05/buzz-in-aggies-sights/

Two pearls of wisdom from Brent Zwerneman's article:
     1. Buzz now plans on recruiting by hiring a recruit's dad (and high school coach), and
     2. Buzz can't wait to jump at the job that "Mark Turgeon was aiming to get out of..."

The above doesn't really ring true to me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:14:28 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
I want Buzz to stay, but there has just been too much smoke.

This situation aligns as the perfect storm for his departure. Having a history with Texas A&M, both his wife and himself being from the area, and having a solid recruiting base already established in Texas all dont bode well here.

Also, another factor to consider is the viablility of MU in the big east. There are just too many rumors now that the football members of the big east want to split----possibly allowing Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, and Notre Dame to join them for hoops.

If this happens MU will wind up in a good conference----the history--the name----nice size market all bode well.

I really want Buzz to stay---but this time I am not as confident that he will.
The perfect storm would have been if the job openned up before he signed the new contract. I have not been to either university, but my belief is the Oklahoma is a more desirable job than A&M and Buzz did not take that job.

HoopsMalone

• All American
Consider this, A&M's football coach only makes $1.8 million:  http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/6514/big-12-head-coaches-score-five-of-17-top-salaries-in-college-football

I doubt that they will pay their hoops coach more than their football coach.  They'd have to give both big raises along with paying Buzz's buyout. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
If Buzz leaves for A&M, that's too bad. I'd prefer he remain a candidate for a larger job like the Texas one or another Big 12 program. A&M seems like a revolving door.
SS Marquette

fanofTR

• Scholarship Player
I love everything he has done for this program and everything Buzz is about, but I would be actually pretty angry if he ended up leaving for AnM.. The only job I could really understand and give him best wishes for would be Texas. Other than that, I would be pretty pissed if he left Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
How can you be certain they weren't yelling...

"Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue", "Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue"

;)

That's the beauty of next year, when they yell ORANGE, ORANGE it cannot be mistaken for Boos

cgt399

• Walk-On
As an A&M fan invading your board, I would have to say that you are not in trouble of losing your coach. However, I do disagree with the sentiment that Buzz does not want the A&M job. He does, but we are not going to overpay him. If we were to give him 2.5 million a year then he would be gone 100%. The noise in College Station is that we are looking to pay about what Turgeon was making (1.8 million). I also do not believe in honesty or "good people" in college basketball, because Turgeon has been a saint the last 4 years at A&M, turning down Oregon, NC State, Tennessee, and a few other programs that offered him more money, a year before he goes to a worse team for a 500k raise. So don't believe everything about integrity in college hoops, there is none.

HouWarrior

• All American
Two pearls of wisdom from Brent Zwerneman's article:
     1. Buzz now plans on recruiting by hiring a recruit's dad (and high school coach), and
     2. Buzz can't wait to jump at the job that "Mark Turgeon was aiming to get out of..."

The above doesn't really ring true to me.
I should amend--Brent Zwerneman notes himself as the Aggie beat writer  for Houston Chronicle and for San Antonio Express.
He certainly is the writer with the most inside Aggie sources and info., ...His list of candidates is :
Early names I'm getting courtesy of a coaching contact: Doc Sadler(Nebraska), Buzz Williams, Gregg Marshall(Wichita State) and Tad Boyle(Colorado)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:54:25 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Blackhat

• All American
As an A&M fan invading your board, I would have to say that you are not in trouble of losing your coach. However, I do disagree with the sentiment that Buzz does not want the A&M job. He does, but we are not going to overpay him. If we were to give him 2.5 million a year then he would be gone 100%. The noise in College Station is that we are looking to pay about what Turgeon was making (1.8 million). I also do not believe in honesty or "good people" in college basketball, because Turgeon has been a saint the last 4 years at A&M, turning down Oregon, NC State, Tennessee, and a few other programs that offered him more money, a year before he goes to a worse team for a 500k raise. So don't believe everything about integrity in college hoops, there is none.

Buzz does revival type talks here at MU and he's hooked some people.  

people still want to believe big money college coaching isn't a dirty profession.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:05:32 PM by Stone Cold »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Maryland may be a "worse team" but a much better job.  That's not a slight against A&M...Maryland is a better job than Marquette as well.

Integrity in college basketball is hard to find.  I don't agree there is none, but it's hard to find and permeates everything from high school, to AAU, to the sneaker companies, to the universities....it's unfortunate but there are some quality people out there if you look hard enough.  I actually believe Turgeon is one of them from everything I've heard about him through my KU contacts and such.  He just took a better job.

Tennessee, Oregon, NC State...not sure those are better jobs....Maryland is.

HouWarrior

• All American
Instead of the "breathless", knee jerk reports...here is a more resonable take from Matt Norlander of CBS.com:

..."So let's talk candidates. That's the next step, of course. The Aggies job isn't as good as the Maryland one (obviously; after all, Turgeon left), but it still is a fairly decent Big 12 gig. Location is an issue, and A&M is going to have to chase a guy it can give a significant raise to -- they do have some money to do this -- and lure away from a mid-major program that's in a good situation. It's not going to be easy, and I suspect the hiring process will take longer than Maryland's, which lasted all of five days, start to finish.

A&M brass isn't in the position to pluck a coach from another major conference, in my opinion. Marquette's Buzz Williams' name has been thrown out there, but he signed on for more years and money in Milwaukee six weeks ago. Williams is a Texas guy; that's the only reason he's being tossed into this discussion. I'll remove him until evidence shows he's willing to listen. And forget Josh Pastner. Don't know when or how his name came up, but there's zero chance that guy leaves Memphis to coach in College Station. So, a list of five prospective are below, and I'll add that it's likely/possible a number of guys I don't have here could enter. There's a wide range of possibilities for this job and it could get very fluid.

•Stew Morrill. Coaches a different kind of Aggie. The Utah State poo-bah could get hired for the same reason Turgeon did at Maryland: copious amounts of winning, even if that hasn't led to success in the NCAAs. Morrill has won consistently but is a fairly stubborn man. He's not prone to challenge his team, schedule-wise, because he hasn't been able to get big boys to come play in Logan. Ironic but true: If he were to take the job he wouldn't come anywhere close to the homecourt advantage he and his Utah State team currently inherit.
•Johnny Jones. The North Texas coach is more than a dark horse, even if you're not that familiar with his work. The man has won 20 more or more games the past five years and knows the Texas recruiting scene. If they want to stay local, this is a good option.
•Scott Spinelli. Who? He's the associated head coach at A&M and has done a solid job recruiting since Turgeon took over for Billy Gillispie in 2007. An in-house hire wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. In my opinion, Spinelli's the only non-head-coach candidate A&M should consider.
•Gregg Marshall. This man is most intriguing because many in the business -- coaching and media, both -- believe Marshall's bound for a BCS job in the next two years. Could it be the next two weeks? Marshall was considered for Tennessee earlier this year. The unfortunate coincidence here: Marshall coaches at Wichita State, where A&M plucked Turgeon four years ago. The Shockers may get pilfered again.
•Fran Fraschilla. His name didn't even flicker in my mind originally, but a few on Twitter brought him up -- and I love the possibility. The ESPN analyst is a terrific X-and-O coach who deserves another chance, one last one. He's been a coach at New Mexico, Manhattan and St. John's, but Texas is the state he calls home. It's all about him wanting and desiring to coach the college game again. He's quite comfortable in his chair at the Worldwide Leader.

The school and Aggies AD Bill Byrne won't face the public pressure to make a hire by weekend's end, but the sooner the better. Recruits hang in the balance ...."
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Brent Zwerneman tweeted this 20 mins ago
http://twitter.com/#!/BrentZwerneman/status/68101271973937152

A&M's next basketball coach will not be Buzz Williams, verified. He's making too much at Marquette. Search continues. #mysa #houstonchron

cgt399

• Walk-On
@Chicos

I agree that Maryland is a better job. I am just saying that we will have a better team next season. Don't get me wrong Turgeon was great, a real classy guy. It is just such a shock that he, of all people, would leave us in such a horrible position. He would get another job next year if he really wanted out. He has been quoted as saying the only job he would ever leave for is the Kansas job (his alma mater), and we took him at his word...

HouWarrior

• All American
Brent Zwerneman tweeted this 20 mins ago
http://twitter.com/#!/BrentZwerneman/status/68101271973937152

A&M's next basketball coach will not be Buzz Williams, verified. He's making too much at Marquette. Search continues. #mysa #houstonchron
Whew!!

I'd consider that reliable, and concluding of this thread..

..time to cede it over to the various off point digressions sure to follow.

4everwarriors

• All American
@4ever

Dodged another s h i t flinging. Maybe time to salute Cottingham, Wild, et al for knowing WTF they're doin'. Hope Pilarz gets with da program as well.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:45:54 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
Whew!!

I'd consider that reliable, and concluding of this thread..

..time to cede it over to the various off point digressions sure to follow.

OK, I was not looking forward to the Bruce Pearl to MU threads.  

cgt399

• Walk-On
He will absolutely not be the next coach at Texas A&M. Everything I'm hearing is that there were three main targets, Josh Pastner of Memphis (who quickly shot down the rumor), Buzz, and a mystery third candidate that the AD is keeping close to his chest. Many think the third guy is Doc Sadler, the current man at Nebraska, or the Wichita State head coach because that worked out so well last time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
How many more Big 12 And SEC teams can we rumor about Buzz before Midnight Madness in October?  So far my count is:

Big 12
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas A&M

SEC
Arkansas
Tennessee
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:49:16 PM by AnotherMU84 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
@Chicos

I agree that Maryland is a better job. I am just saying that we will have a better team next season. Don't get me wrong Turgeon was great, a real classy guy. It is just such a shock that he, of all people, would leave us in such a horrible position. He would get another job next year if he really wanted out. He has been quoted as saying the only job he would ever leave for is the Kansas job (his alma mater), and we took him at his word...

Understand.  My guess is he, like many others, view some of these opportunities as once in a lifetime chances and better to jump at them now while you know they have him.  Maryland is potentially a huge job when things are going good.

The timing absolutely sucks for you guys....at least he left for a better gig.  Rick Majerus left us in the Summer as a head coach to become an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks...and he was A MARQUETTE ALUM.  Talk about kicking a school in the balls and leaving them high and dry.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
@4ever

Dodged another s h i t flinging. Maybe time to salute Cottingham, Wild, et al for knowing WTF they're doin'. Hope Pilarz gets with da program as well.

We'll know in a few more years.  If we consistently finish 4th through 6th, then they know what they're doing.  If we're fighting to get into the NCAAs in the last week of the season....eh. 

3....2....1.....here come the attacks

NersEllenson

• All American
We'll know in a few more years.  If we consistently finish 4th through 6th, then they know what they're doing.  If we're fighting to get into the NCAAs in the last week of the season....eh. 

3....2....1.....here come the attacks

At least you now recognize when you are trying to stir the pot.  As if any of us here need you to spell it out..but thanks anyway.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks

No attack intended here, I'm glad for the info and opinions from your side of the fence, but I simply think this is a good indicator that you don't know Buzz. I'm not saying there aren't jobs out there that could lure him away, but I don't think A&M is one of them. From the sounds of things, your athletic department is in some dire financial straits, which Buzz would be familiar with considering his own connections there and his relationship with Gillispie. Second, basketball will always be second fiddle down there, whereas here Buzz doesn't have to compete. Further, his mannerisms, faith, and general demeanor fit Marquette perfectly. Seriously, the last time we had a coach that seemed to match our program so well was a guy named Al.

Again, I'm not saying that the perfect storm couldn't exist to lure Buzz away, but considering you are a football first school that won't be willing to outbid Marquette and have financial troubles as opposed to our own basketball budget, which is second only to Duke's, I think it's safe to say A&M was never a real threat, and I think that even if you tossed 2.5M his way, he still would have said no.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
That's the beauty of next year, when they yell ORANGE, ORANGE it cannot be mistaken for Boos

Hahaha! Vander ORANGE! Just like what the guy he clocked called him! That's hilarious! You should post this like 10-12 times on different threads on here to show everyone how funny you are. What? You already did that? OK. Nevermind.

HoopsMalone

• All American
Buzz may not trash Texas A&M.  If you ask him about the school, he would probably compliment it.  However, that is just who Buzz is.  He is nice to everyone and has nothing but positive things to say about everything.  That does not mean that he is interested in taking the job at A&M.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Understand.  My guess is he, like many others, view some of these opportunities as once in a lifetime chances and better to jump at them now while you know they have him.  Maryland is potentially a huge job when things are going good.

The timing absolutely sucks for you guys....at least he left for a better gig.  Rick Majerus left us in the Summer as a head coach to become an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks...and he was A MARQUETTE ALUM.  Talk about kicking a school in the balls and leaving them high and dry.

I was under the impression that the alumni ran Rick out of town.

feedback