Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Here We Go Again ... Breathless Media Reports That Buzz Is Leaving For Texas A&M  (Read 23919 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Sorry, but you don't understand the concept.

You created a "strawman" (the hypothetical schedule in which Cincinnati played Seton Hall twice and we played DePaul twice), and then tried to refute my argument by knocking down the fake schedule you invented (see, with that schedule their record is only 10-8, same as ours, therefore they didn't improve more than we did).

Its a textbook example of a straw man.

And then 84 submits this??  Talk about hypocritical.  Funny how 84 uses Straw Man arguments, but then criticizes others for doing the same:
Insert Quote
Quote from: Marquette84 on Today at 01:06:45 PM
I think you'd be willing to grant me that the important thing is the SOS number--not necessarily the rank.

MU's SOS was .8727. Cincinnati's was .8461

Remove one Seton Hall game and replace it with DePaul for MU, and our SOS would have been .8478.
Remove one DePaul game and replace it with Seton Hall for UC, and their SOS would have been  .8710.

In other words, the entire SOS difference between UC and MU amounts to the fact that UC's mirror was DePaul, and ours was Seton Hall.  If it were opposite, we would have had the easiest schedule in the conference, and Cincinnati would have had 

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
 And then 84 submits this??  Talk about hypocritical.  Funny how 84 uses Straw Man arguments, but then criticizes others for doing the same:
Insert Quote
I think you'd be willing to grant me that the important thing is the SOS number--not necessarily the rank.

Remove one Seton Hall game and replace it with DePaul for MU, and our SOS would have been .8478.
Remove one DePaul game and replace it with Seton Hall for UC, and their SOS would have been  .8710.

In other words, the entire SOS difference between UC and MU amounts to the fact that UC's mirror was DePaul, and ours was Seton Hall.  If it were opposite, we would have had the easiest schedule in the conference, and Cincinnati would have had  

Just for fairness' sake, a hypothetical argument is not a straw man. It only becomes a straw man when one supplants the hypothetical for the actual argument being made.
Neither I or 84 did this, ergo neither are guilty of a straw man (despite his incorrect claim to the contrary).

Sorry for re-entering the thread .... couldn't help myself.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
  And then 84 submits this??  Talk about hypocritical.  Funny how 84 uses Straw Man arguments, but then criticizes others for doing the same:
Insert Quote

Remove one DePaul game and replace it with Seton Hall for UC, and their SOS would have been  .8710.

In other words, the entire SOS difference between UC and MU amounts to the fact that UC's mirror was DePaul, and ours was Seton Hall.  If it were opposite, we would have had the easiest schedule in the conference, and Cincinnati would have had 

You have no idea what a straw man argument is apparently. 

Maybe you should concentrate on comparing a 3 seed from one year and say it's the same as a 3 seed from a different year.   :D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Since we're now discussing scarecrows, I think this thread has enough pages.