Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does Ewill's Transfer Mean Buzz MUST sign a player by May 18?  (Read 4863 times)

MU1980

• Starter
Re: Does Ewill's Transfer Mean Buzz MUST sign a player by May 18?
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »
You'll recall that I said, "Redshirting can occur under certain circumstances when you do not play at all." 

There is no such thing as a medical redshirt.  A redshirt means you didn't play. 

Red-shirting is when you do not use up a year of eligibility, whether or not it is a medical red-shirt or a "didn't compete at all, red-shirt".  Red-shirt is not even an NCAA term, but is commonly used.  So yes, O'Tule did red-shirt, under the medical hardship waiver.  Here is some information from the NCAA web site that explains it better.  If you do a google search, you can find other information that explains red-shirting in both medical hardship terms and no competition terms.  The end result is the same, you red-shirted that year.

According to the ncaa website (a bunch of .pdf files)

Red Shirt
Red shirting is not an official NCAA term, but the term is used when a student-athlete does not participate
in any competition during a particular academic year (i.e., neither in the championship nor the nonchampionship
segment of the playing season). A student-athlete may be red-shirted at any point in his/her
athletic career.
A “medical red shirt” is not an official NCAA term either, but the term is used when a student-athlete is
injured after participating in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year and then
qualifies for a Medical Hardship Waiver. More detailed information regarding Medical Hardship Waivers is
included below.

Medical Hardship Waiver
If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of
competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which
would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify
for a medical hardship:
• The student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate
competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occur subsequent to the first day of
classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;
• The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that
concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests
or dates of competition) and result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;
and
• The injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two
contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 20 percent (whichever
number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or
her sport.
Student-athletes should note that medical hardship waivers are not automatic and, therefore, the studentathlete
should consult with his/her head coach along with the Head Athletic Trainer and Assistant Athletic
Director for Compliance Services.
50 NCAA Compliance

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »
I'll be curious to see how Buzz reacts to this. I was hoping for Olu Ashaolu, but it is sounding more likely that he will stay in the draft after the latest draft camp.

Olu is taking his name out of the NBA draft...supposedly considering Texas, Xavier and SDSU....if you believe a 16 year old recruiting analyst.   :)

http://www.therecruitscoop.com/olu-ashaolu-withdraws-from-nba-draft

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »
Olu is taking his name out of the NBA draft...supposedly considering Texas, Xavier and SDSU....if you believe a 16 year old recruiting analyst.   :)

http://www.therecruitscoop.com/olu-ashaolu-withdraws-from-nba-draft

We're still in on him, too:  http://iowastate.scout.com/2/1064633.html

Cyclone Sports Report: It's been reported that you have cut your list of schools down to Iowa State, Oregon, and San Diego State. Is this correct?

Olu Ashaolu: Those are my top three at the moment but I'm also still talking with TCU, Xavier, Marquette, and UCLA

I'd love to add him to this roster for a year...adds depth and still keeps a schollie open for 2012

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
Red-shirting is when you do not use up a year of eligibility, whether or not it is a medical red-shirt or a "didn't compete at all, red-shirt".

No, you are wrong.  I do like how to cite "a bunch of .pdf files", though.  Good try.

By the way, if you go to the following page at ncaa.org, you'll find the "Redshirt Definition". 

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Legislation+and+Governance/Eligibility+and+Recruiting/Faqs/eligibility_seasons.html

In addition, check out the D1 Manual - the term is used therein.  Medical redshirt is not, because such a thing does not exist.

By the way, those are not the current rules surrounding a hardship waiver for D1 sports... "20 percent"?  Try again. 

You're simply wrong on this.  Please stop lying.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
Thanks for letting me know it is no longer 20% for a medical hardship.  I did not realize it changed recently to 30%, which I think was a good rule change.

In regards to my post, I have been around collegiate athletics most of my adult life and pretty much anyone I have ever talked to has called it a medical red-shirt as well as a medical hardship.  That included DI coaches, athletes, administrators, etc.  When I did a google search, I found many references to a medical red-shirt and I copied and pasted one of the first things I saw, which turned out not to be a reliable source.  Wikipedia does talk about the two types of red-shirts (medical and non-medical), but I didn't think it would be wise to be using that as a resource. 

Anyway, the bottom line is that you are technically correct in how the NCAA words it in their manual.  However, many people in the media and athletics still use medical hardship and medical red-shirt interchangeably.  I do stand corrected however, based on the NCAA manual, which is more official than a coach or a media member.  With that said, based on my past experience and a google search, it really is not that unacceptable to say someone with a medical hardship has red-shirted.