collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Verizon customer trying to decide between two phones  (Read 4016 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Verizon customer trying to decide between two phones
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »
So I have been eligible for my upgrade with Verizon for sometime now. My contract expires in July so I really have a few weeks until I must make a decision, but I have talked myself into buying myself a new toy to play, er, make phone calls with.

I have stopped by the Verizon store a few times and have narrowed my decision down to two phones: the iPhone 4 or the HTC ThunderBolt (4G).

I am leaning towards the ThunderBolt. I live in Milwaukee and would be able to use the 4G network that is partially complete right now. The full 4G in MKE will be completed in the next two months. The increased speed is what I really like about it. Plus it has a larger screen and a more customizable user interface. The three things that make me nervous about getting it are that the larger screen, the widgets (more or less, programs) it runs, its constant switching back and forth from 3 to 4G (which i would hope would stop once the network is fully complete) all drain battery life. From what I have read, it effects it alot. Also, I think the size of the phone might become a little burdensome. finally, I fear that while 4G is the future, it is too early to adopt to the technology, especially locking myself into a larger, battery draining phone such as the ThunderBolt because it is the only 4G phone offered by Verizon right now.

Anyone have any thoughts to share on this or experiences with the Thunderbolt at all?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Verizon customer trying to decide between two phones
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
My plan also expires this summer with Verizon.  I am waiting for the new iPhone 5 to come out around September.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
I would wait for the iPhone 5 as well.  I currently have the iPhone 4 and just before this I had the HTC Incredible.  Love  both of them.  My only complaint with the iPhone is the lack of customization like you stated about the user interface.  If you're looking to get a phone now, I don't think either is a bad choice.  There's really not much one can do that the other can't.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Borrow someone's Android based phone and compare.   If you like walled gardens for consumer masses, iPhones are your answer.  If you want to do whatever the hell you want with your phone, Android based phones are your answer.

iPhone completely owned the smartphone market until last year.  Android very rapidly took that crown, and given another year or two, iPhones will be like all Apple products .. relegated to a niche market.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20028122-94.html?tag=mncol;txt
http://www.pcworld.com/article/227218/android_captures_more_of_the_smartphone_market.html

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »
My two cents

There's a world of difference between VzW's 4G and their 3G.  (FYI - this is not the case for other providers.  MetroPCS's 4G is worse than VzW's 3G.  T-Mobile's 4G isn't even really 4G).  VzW's 4G is anywhere from 20-30x faster than their 3G offer.  Peak download speeds of about 60-100 Mbps on a wireless device.

The thunderbolt is the first real 4G smartphone, but there will be others coming down the pipe soon.  When I last saw chipset information, there were three handset vendors delivering devices around the same time, so there are going to be more options.

Battery life is more a function of it being the first iteration of the chipset rather than the network itself.  Also, for 4G coverage, remember that the most densely populated areas and highways get coverage first.  Your home will probably be lacking.

The iphone is the best choice right now, but will be the worst choice in one year or two.  If you can be patient, my recommendation is to also wait for a few other 4G smartphones, and then pick the one you like.  

Don't sweat android vs iphone.  They're both fine.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »
The 4G Samsung Charge will officially be launching within the next week for Verizon. I received a couple of these in inventory at my store today. It's got the same specs as the T-Bolt except that the battery life is expected to be much better. They both come equipped with a 32G micro SD but one advantage the T-Bolt has over the Charge is that it also has 8G of on board memory.

Others 4G devices coming down the pipeline within the next month or so are the Motorola Bionic (which is rumored to have a dual core processor) and the LG Revolution.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
The 4G Samsung Charge will officially be launching within the next week for Verizon. I received a couple of these in inventory at my store today. It's got the same specs as the T-Bolt except that the battery life is expected to be much better. They both come equipped with a 32G micro SD but one advantage the T-Bolt has over the Charge is that it also has 8G of on board memory.

Others 4G devices coming down the pipeline within the next month or so are the Motorola Bionic (which is rumored to have a dual core processor) and the LG Revolution.

Very useful information here.

My contract ends on 7/13/11. This is well before the iPhone 5 is expected to come out, currently marked from September I believe. I do have a few months before my contract comes and and based on mosarsour's comments, i would be smart to hold off for more 4G phones. I didnt relize they were so close to releasing other 4G phones... I thought the rest werent coming out until later in the 2nd Quarter of the year. With my contract ending in July... is there anyway to extend my upgrade to the iPhone 5 release? I dont really think so.

Anyone know anythign about VZN's 4G data plan? I hear that they are offering unlimited until 5/15 then its like $20 or so for 2gb's. I am interested in knowing whether the unlimited data plan would be grandfathered in to the next phone you were to purchase. I think it would definitely be an advantage to grab hold of the unlimited data plan if it were to be grandfathered in as I can see data usage fees getting outta control with the 4G speed.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
You won't lose your upgrade eligibility if you decide to hold on until after the contract ends. What device are you currently using? Current Android users would be grandfathered into their unlimited data plans, but there is no official word on when Verizon will be adopting limited data plans. The only thing that ends on May 15th that I'm aware of is the free unlimited 4G hotspot access from the Thunderbolt. After the 15th it's an additional $30/mo.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »
Android is great but I have struggled with App's that will manage my outlook emails and contact syncing. 
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
Android is great but I have struggled with App's that will manage my outlook emails and contact syncing. 

I'm an avid Android fan.

Syncing with an exchange server is a pretty big sticking point with an phone running the Android OS.  If your phone is going to be used mostly with your work email I'd suggest going with a Blackberry or an iPhone.  It really pains me to say it, but unless you're a geek at heart it will be too much of a PITA to deal with Android+Exchange.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »
I'm an avid Android fan.

Syncing with an exchange server is a pretty big sticking point with an phone running the Android OS.  If your phone is going to be used mostly with your work email I'd suggest going with a Blackberry or an iPhone.  It really pains me to say it, but unless you're a geek at heart it will be too much of a PITA to deal with Android+Exchange.

Agreed. Blackberrys and iPhones are much more suitable for exchange servers.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »
If your upgrade is in july I would wait until there is word when verizons samsung galaxy s 2 is coming out. Read the review on engadget and you will want this phone. Also there is an app called touchdown which is a must for exchange servers on android phones.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »
If your upgrade is in july I would wait until there is word when verizons samsung galaxy s 2 is coming out. Read the review on engadget and you will want this phone. Also there is an app called touchdown which is a must for exchange servers on android phones.

+1, I forgot about TouchDown.  A friend has been using that without complaint for over a year now so it can't be that bad :)

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:34:05 AM »
Thanks for the lead on touchdown

Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »
I'm an avid Android fan.

Ugh, I know what you mean.  I was running the old Android OS on the HTC Aria (I know, the weakling of the Android family) and the exchange server actually worked flawlessly.  AT&T pushed out the Froyo OS update, and the Exchange sync has been a nightmare since then.

Haven't gotten touchdown yet, but have heard that even though it improves email, it doesn't allow for wireless sync of contacts and calendar.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 05:10:25 PM »
I'd add that these stories seem to be popping up more and more on the Android side, but are not exclusive to the Android

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/905bb4d6-813e-11e0-9360-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1MkDpr4yL

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »
I also think network speed, at least for me (3G or 4G) is a fairly moot point, b/c 90% of my day I am within reach of a WiFi signal, which is ton faster than any network.  My two cents.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
I'd add that these stories seem to be popping up more and more on the Android side, but are not exclusive to the Android

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/905bb4d6-813e-11e0-9360-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1MkDpr4yL

The attack works when unsecured wireless access points that imitate public WiFi hot spots that the phone has accessed before – such as a coffee shop chain – capture an authentication token.  That token can then be used by attackers to access and modify personal data in Picasa, Google’s photo site, Calendar and Contacts. Business customers using Google apps on Android are not affected by the weakness because all traffic is encrypted by default.

This is a non-issue, honestly.

1.  It doesn't work on updated Android phones.  
2.  It doesn't work with phones on business accounts
3.  It only works if someone is spoofing a hot-spot and knows how to grab authentication tokens... which is unlikely because they'd both be stuck in one physical location and it'd be obvious to everyone that there are suddenly 2 "starbucks milwaukee" hotspots nearby... and it'd be a crapshoot if anyone connected to the wrong one more than once.
4.  They can only modify Photos, Calendar and Contacts

nyg

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »

The attack works when unsecured wireless access points that imitate public WiFi hot spots that the phone has accessed before – such as a coffee shop chain – capture an authentication token.  That token can then be used by attackers to access and modify personal data in Picasa, Google’s photo site, Calendar and Contacts. Business customers using Google apps on Android are not affected by the weakness because all traffic is encrypted by default.

This is a non-issue, honestly.

1.  It doesn't work on updated Android phones.  
2.  It doesn't work with phones on business accounts
3.  It only works if someone is spoofing a hot-spot and knows how to grab authentication tokens... which is unlikely because they'd both be stuck in one physical location and it'd be obvious to everyone that there are suddenly 2 "starbucks milwaukee" hotspots nearby... and it'd be a crapshoot if anyone connected to the wrong one more than once.
4.  They can only modify Photos, Calendar and Contacts

Weren't there issues with viruses and such in the last year on Android?  I don't recall, but I thought that was the case.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »
Weren't there issues with viruses and such in the last year on Android?  I don't recall, but I thought that was the case.

There always will be, same with the iPhone.  If people are allowed to install whatever it is they'd like, then people will write malicious software for the idiots to accidentally install.

As long as you stick with the big, highly recommended applications you should be fine most of the time.  I stick to my rule of only installing apps from companies I've heard of (Google, ESPN, Pandora, etc)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »
There always will be, same with the iPhone.  If people are allowed to install whatever it is they'd like, then people will write malicious software for the idiots to accidentally install.

As long as you stick with the big, highly recommended applications you should be fine most of the time.  I stick to my rule of only installing apps from companies I've heard of (Google, ESPN, Pandora, etc)

I guess that is part of my question.  With a walled garden approach that iOS uses, aren't those chances greatly reduced.  I'm sure the iPhone has had a virus issue in the past, but I just can't think of it.

I'm not advocating for one of the other....we have one of each in our home.  The fact that iOS refuses to support Flash drives me crazy.  That being said, there are some features with iOS that I like better than Android and vice versa.  I do feel a bit "safer" with the apps on iPhone then I do Android, however.  Seems to be more of a wild west mentality with one, but that could be an unfair assumption.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:19 AM »
I guess that is part of my question.  With a walled garden approach that iOS uses, aren't those chances greatly reduced.  I'm sure the iPhone has had a virus issue in the past, but I just can't think of it.

I would have agreed with you up until yesterday?  News has started to leak about how bad malware has been affecting Apple products.

Apple is a private company with a closed product.  It's in their best interest to keep their problems quiet.  The Android OS is open source.  Most exploits are public knowledge nearly immediately (for better or for worse).

Maybe Apple will come out of this?  Maybe it's the end of the App Store.  Even Mac Fanboy Websites are starting to get a little irritated with the walled garden approach, even though I still think it's a best approach for non-technical people that don't want to mess with their phones.

I'm not advocating for one of the other....we have one of each in our home.  The fact that iOS refuses to support Flash drives me crazy.  That being said, there are some features with iOS that I like better than Android and vice versa.  I do feel a bit "safer" with the apps on iPhone then I do Android, however.  Seems to be more of a wild west mentality with one, but that could be an unfair assumption.

I would have agreed with you, but it's concerning to me that Apple has been keeping the exploits secret.  Then again, Microsoft has been doing that with Windows for ages.  MS actually gets pretty pissed if you publicly describe an exploit that they haven't fixed yet even if they've known about it for months.

I think if we all approach everything that anyone is trying to sell us for a profit with a healthy amount of skepticism we'll end up alright.  Everyone is doing their best to turn a profit, oftentimes at the expense of the consumer :)