[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2011 NFL Draft  (Read 5780 times)

jesmu84

• All American
2011 NFL Draft
« on: April 29, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
Bears fan here (just getting that out upfront)..

1st round thoughts:

Lions scary with Suh and Fairley.
Vikings with a HUGE reach.
Bears/Packers got solid guys.
Carolina made their team worse.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: 2011 NFL Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
Pack fan - I'm happy with the Sherrod pick, especially now that the conference is bolstering their D-lines. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »
Packers fan

Lions are getting ready to make a decade long run here....love Schwartz the coach and now getting stout on the lines....look out.

Vikings....love Ponder, kid will be a stud....Rudolph is ok blocker, great receiver.

Bears......not a fan of the lumbering UW lineman.....Joe Thomas was an exception athletic freak.

Packers.....good, not great OT,  hasn't given up a sack in two years??  if true, good, keep em off Rodgers.

Carolina can't protect their qb's, need to do that first.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »
also..did kiper have McShay banished to the jungles of Brazil?  what happened to that pipsqueak.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
also..did kiper have McShay banished to the jungles of Brazil?  what happened to that pipsqueak.

Chris Berman is the one who should be banished forever.  His time is up, really.  He cannot shut up, and he is losing his breath when he talks now.  A complete blowhard and ESPN needs a change. 

I like McShay and his arguments with Kiper and he is on at 9:00pm.

Gruden and Kiper have been great.  In previous years ESPN had like five guys up there, so they limited to three this year.  Just eliminate Berman and his blowhard ways.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
Pleasently surprised with Gruden.  I didn't like him on MNF, but he has been pretty solid so far.  This Packer fan thinks the first two picks were nice.

The Bears screwing up the trade of picks was just such a Bears thing to do...

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »
Man, oh man, the ESPN NFL draft program is almost as boring as the Royal Wedding.  Talk about thin content to fill the dead zone of programming.  Enough already!  Talking heads must be paid by the word.  A long time ago a media critic/wag labeled television as "radio with pictures."  So true the last few days.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
1st round thoughts:

Lions scary with Suh and Fairley.
Vikings with a HUGE reach.

The Vikings not only didn't get better by picking Ponder, they almost guaranteed a division rival's improvement, by letting the guy they should have picked go to a division rival with the very next pick. That Lions' D-Line is going to be really fun to watch...unless you're Christian Ponder.

If they can ever get Stafford on the field, the Lions are looking strong.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
If they can ever get Stafford on the field, the Lions are looking strong.

agreed. they added leshoure and young to an already impressive draft.

packers seem to be drafting as they always do - adding depth to positions before they really become a problem
vikings again making some interesting choices (another TE?)
bears moved up to grab the 2nd DT on their board (Paea), after watching Austin fall earlier than they wanted. an interesting move, though giving up a 4th is not a huge loss. I am absolutely floored that they reached for a questionable safety instead of addressing our lack of WR talent, trying to find more OLine, or even addressing age at LB. F-you angelo. gosh, i hate our GM.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
I like the Packer's picks so far. I don't know much about Green, but he has good size, and can catch out of the backfield. Hopefully, he develops as a pass blocker and becomes a good 3rd down back.  Also, Starks and Grant are far from 'sure things' next year, so I like the depth.

I'm a huge fan of the Randall Cobb pick.  With Driver getting older and Jones possibly leaving, that is a really nice pick.  He plays with a lot of intensity and I think GB fans are going to love him.  He also instantly upgrades a terrible return game, and I don't have to sweat bullets every time Tramon Williams doesn't fair catch a punt anymore.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »
Lot of talk in Detroit that they haven't addressed their needs at linebacker and cornerback.   IMO, they just improved their back 7 by picking up a DT that could make their line dominant.    They could get 50+ sacks this year without ever blitzing. Running inside just became exponentially more difficult.   Linebackers will go untouched; they just have to make the plays.    But Detroit's success will be determined by whether or not Stafford can stop being a china doll.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
The Ravens should look in the mirror.  As a Bears fan I do think there is something shady going on but the Ravens should be the last ones to complain.

Maybe the final word on the subject should come from Newsome himself, by way of Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, who unearthed an old quote from eight years ago when Baltimore failed to trade up with Minnesota in a similar situation.

‘‘The deal was not consummated,’’ Newsome said at the time. ‘‘A deal is not a deal until I talk to [league executive] Joel Bussert, and I never talked to Joel Bussert.’’

Angelo couldn't have said it any better himself.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:21:13 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »
Glad 49ers were able to pick up a QB. But he's not going to be the short term answer to our offensive woes. We need a solid, innovative and instinctive Off Coor.

"Stole" Kaepernick from the Raiders. F- Ya!
SS Marquette

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
dolphins fan, so a little neutral here

My problem with the Ponder pick is that he just doesn't have the upside that you would need to get a QB that high. worst case scenario i think with his skill set and mentality, hes a career backup.  but i think his upside is not much above that. he could be a serviceable starter, but not much more. think Dilfer, Chandler, to name two pretty successful examples, Trent Green or Chris Redman on the lower end.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
Ponder just needs to stay healthy, that was the big knock on him.  He will be very good if he does.

Extremely accurate: almost 70% completion in 2009.

Far more mobile than the guys you mentioned 4.65 40 time, can move around.  Extremely smart player who in combo with AP is going to do great things.

Vikes (Musgrave) graded him out right, ESPN didn't.  

Honestly, his profile is a lot like Aaron Rodgers.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »
The coverage on ESPN has been AWFUL. Honestly, I'm not sure on Fairley. I think he easily could be Albert Haynesworth.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
The coverage on ESPN has been AWFUL. Honestly, I'm not sure on Fairley. I think he easily could be Albert Haynesworth.

agree, had to hit mute a few times.  Gruden, good football mind, can't stand his commentator presentation, want to drop kick someone every time I hear him say "This guy...."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
agree, had to hit mute a few times.  Gruden, good football mind, can't stand his commentator presentation, want to drop kick someone every time I hear him say "This guy...."

agreed on "this guy..." but at least it works well for a Draft drinking game

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »

the lions can only hope so

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »
It's possible.  Honestly, it is all one big crapshoot at this point.    However, VanDenBosch and Suh have already made statements indicating that they are going to be in his grill every day to make him work hard and get better.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
He also instantly upgrades a terrible return game, and I don't have to sweat bullets every time Tramon Williams doesn't fair catch a punt anymore.

Or even when he does fair catch it...(actually don't remember whether he was fair catching this ball or not, and I can't tell by the replay...but I do remember at least once where he got pushed into the ball while the Packers were trying to let it bounce dead...just get OUT OF THERE):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_4ww9i8CyI

Would much rather not risk his health and have a much better punt returner so Williams can continue to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEXSnI1Htcw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYuiVVvZQMM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QgJ_z_lrXg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIpjtdghhzM&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee32psWnyas&feature=related

My gosh do I love watching him play.  Do not throw his way.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »
When we bring McNabb in, everything will be set for three Super Bowls in a row.  Two with McNabb under center, followed by the start of an incredible run as a starter for Ponder.  Great draft, let's play!!  Don't let the other teams off the hook, NFL -- make 'em play the Vikes!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 12:13:35 AM »
When we bring McNabb in, everything will be set for three Super Bowls in a row.  Two with McNabb under center, followed by the start of an incredible run as a starter for Ponder.  Great draft, let's play!!  Don't let the other teams off the hook, NFL -- make 'em play the Vikes!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

As a Pack fan, I pray everyday they bring in McNabb. He's been beyond terrible for years now, the Pack D would have a field day.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 12:43:27 AM »
As a Pack fan, I pray everyday they bring in McNabb. He's been beyond terrible for years now, the Pack D would have a field day.

This sounds very familiar.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 02:22:57 AM »
This sounds very familiar.

1) even trying to compare favre to mcnabb, at any points of their career, is laughable

2) 2010 was a pretty fun season, I wouldn't mind repeating it the next two years. It does sound familiar. Aging QB leading the mighty Vikings to 4th in the North, while the Pack have a field day (remember 31-3?) Good point JayBee!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:18:38 AM by JimmyB! »