collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: THE Ohio State University  (Read 2517 times)

ringout

• Team Captain
THE Ohio State University
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
Ha.  What a cesspool.  Can you say death penalty?

The funniest thing is the fanbase is totally OK with the cheating.

They should be renamed the Ohio State University

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: THE Ohio State University
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »
Ha.  What a cesspool.  Can you say death penalty?

The funniest thing is the fanbase is totally OK with the cheating.

They should be renamed the Ohio State University

I don't think they'll get the death penalty...the NCAA seems to be going out of its way to not implicate the University as a whole.  There was no "lack of institutional control" charge.  I think Tressel is going to take the fall for this.  And, if he doesn't get fired, you will never be able to convince me that he isn't taking the fall for the University (to avoid the lack of institutional control charge).  I find it difficult to believe that he would not have reported the situation internally.  I think they just realized that the University would get in less trouble if Tressel was blamed.

As for the fan base, I live in Ohio and I think a lot of people are pretty pissed off.  I haven't run into too many people who are "totally OK with the cheating."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MarquetteNation

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
When I asked an OSU fan if they should fire Tressel, he responded with "why? So we can go back to losing?"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
When I asked an OSU fan if they should fire Tressel, he responded with "why? So we can go back to losing?"

Speaking as a non-OSU fan (who happens to live here and enjoys rooting against them), this really is a classic case of the cover up being worse than the original offense.  What these guys did was a violation of NCAA rules, and it was a stupid thing to do.  Covering it up, hiding it from OSU, and lying to the NCAA about it was really, really stupid.

That said, I honestly don't think the underlying offense was that terrible.  It's against the rules, and I understand why it's against the rules, but I don't view this violation as the same as some other violations (Cam Newton comes immediately to mind).  But if they're going to have the rule, it should be enforced and a coach who does what Tressel did should be severely punished.  Even though many people I have talked to are not "totally OK" with what went on, to the extent that some are, it doesn't surprise me all that much.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »

Only for a year or two until Urban Meyer comes on board.  As an OSU fan, I'm willing to deal with that.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
Only for a year or two until Urban Meyer comes on board.  As an OSU fan, I'm willing to deal with that.

That is what Beano is saying.

Beano Cook has as few clunkers in his world of predictions -- including predicting Ron Powlus would win two Heismans. That said, Beano could be onto something here. [Jim] Tressel is in trouble. He has already been suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season -- Ohio State was ready to dock him two games, but Tressel requested three more -- after failing to tell school officials he'd been given reason to believe his players had traded jerseys for tattoos. And [Urban] Meyer is, among other things, a native Ohioan. Born in Toledo. Grew up in Ashtabula . Played defensive back for the Cincinnati Bearcats. Started his coaching career at Ohio State. Has his Masters from Ohio State. ... If Tressel does fall, there'd be no better choice as replacement.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »
He predicted Powlus would have three Heismans.

I don't know if Urban Meyer wants to go back into coaching.  I mean, unless the issue was burn out and he needs a year or two to recharge his batteries, why leave Florida then?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:12 PM »
Isnt what burned Pearl out of the Tenn job, his obfuscation with the investigation? Lying, in these days of self policing, seems to be really a bad thing.
 I agree Tressel will be gone, and Osu gets penalized, maybe wins vacated, but not a daeth penalty.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »
Why would Meyer leave Florida for Ohio State besides the fact that is where he USED to live.

I think people put WAY too much stock in things like that.

TBH, if I was a college basketball coach and the MU job was open, and I had a great job in the south and I could hand pick my recruits, why would I make life harder on myself?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »
Why would Meyer leave Florida for Ohio State besides the fact that is where he USED to live.

I think people put WAY too much stock in things like that.

TBH, if I was a college basketball coach and the MU job was open, and I had a great job in the south and I could hand pick my recruits, why would I make life harder on myself?

Well, Meyer isn't the coach at Florida anymore so he wouldn't exactly be leaving there to go to Ohio State.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »
Well, Meyer isn't the coach at Florida anymore so he wouldn't exactly be leaving there to go to Ohio State.

I realize that, but it fails to address the point.

You don't just walk away from a top program with everything going for you.

If he comes back, he won't be taking the tOSU job.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »
Well, the only thing that may happen is that he misses it more than he thought he would.  But my guess is that after his last year at Florida, that he actually wanted to walk away for awhile.  He may coach again, but I doubt it will be next year.

And why people still give Beano any legitimacy I will never know.  He picked Notre Dame to win the BCS in what ended up to be Weis' last season.  The dude hasn't had a coherent college football thought since the 70s.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »
Well, the only thing that may happen is that he misses it more than he thought he would.  But my guess is that after his last year at Florida, that he actually wanted to walk away for awhile.  He may coach again, but I doubt it will be next year.

And why people still give Beano any legitimacy I will never know.  He picked Notre Dame to win the BCS in what ended up to be Weis' last season.  The dude hasn't had a coherent college football thought since the 70s.

I agree and what kind of first name is Beano anyway.