collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Iowa takes a chance on former felon  (Read 1834 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Iowa takes a chance on former felon
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/30186/iowa-takes-a-chance-on-former-felon

That headline is 100 percent true, but it's also a little deceptive. Fact is, there's no way to quickly phrase the story of Anthony Hubbard -- a 26-year-old former felon who has since resurrected his life after serving almost four years in prison for his conviction related to an armed robbery he committed at the the age of 18 -- and get the full picture.

On Saturday, Hubbard signed a letter of intent to play basketball at Iowa. This is a remarkable accomplishment. considering the depths Hubbard has experienced since his grave mistake as a teenager. In December 2003, Hubbard reportedly drove a car and served as a lookout for three acquaintances, who entered a home and robbed an elderly resident at gunpoint. Hubbard turned himself in three days later. He served three years and 11 months in prison -- he was denied parole three times -- before his release.

Even more remarkable? Hubbard didn't play high school basketball. After his release from prison, a friend tried to get him a shot playing basketball for Frederick Community College in Maryland. After spending a year playing for Odessa Junior College in Texas -- Frederick coaches wanted Hubbard to focus on his grades for a year -- Hubbard returned to Frederick, and it's been all uphill from there. In 2011, the 6-foot-5, 210 pound wing averaged 20.7 points (on 64 percent shooting from the field), 10.1 rebounds and 4.2 assists.

Those kind of numbers are like catnip to talented-bereft college coaches, so it was no surprise when a handful of big-name schools came calling. But would anyone take a risk on a player with Hubbard's past? How could Fran McCaffery be sure he wasn't making a grave mistake? The answer, apparently, comes down to homework -- and some very strong recommendations from Hubbard's current coaches. From the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

“I heard that he was a really good player,” McCaffery said. “I didn’t really know anything about him. So of course we followed up on that. His coach [Dave Miller] immediately told me what happened and said, ‘What I have to tell you is if he wanted to date my daughter, it would be OK with me. That’s how much I think of him. I’ve never had any problems with him. I recommend him without reservation.’

“So then of course we made sure folks here were at least comfortable pursuing that. So we needed to do our homework, and we did. We needed to get him here and meet everybody. We were satisfied after we completed our due diligence that he’s somebody we’d like to have in our program.”

Hubbard's former coach Miller vouched for his player's personal development, telling the Gazette that he believed Hubbard's past had made the guard a "much better person." For his part, Hubbard says he has been open about his past -- and what that past means for the person he has become. From my hometown paper, the Quad-City Times:

"I have nothing to hide. I've been straight up with everybody,'' Hubbard said. "What I've been through, it made me grow up. It made me the person I am today.'' That's among the reasons Hubbard chose to make his announcement Saturday at the youth club near his hometown of Woodbridge, Va. "I've spent a lot of time the past couple of years working with kids, trying to help them not make the same mistakes I made,'' Hubbard said. "If I can help one kid stay out of trouble, it's been time well spent.''

See? Not so simple, is it?

Naturally, there's always risk associated with believing in this sort of story. There's risk for McCaffery, who took Hubbard on despite that big, ugly "felon" tag attached to his new player's name. There's risk for Iowa fans, who might wonder whether their new player's talent is really worth the risk. (And who are just a few years removed from the Pierre Pierce era, when former coach Steve Alford gave his star a second chance that ended in legal disaster.) Of course, there's also risk associated for people like me, who simply want to believe that a redemption song like this one can follow through on its promise of a happy ending.

All signs point to yes. Now, it's up to Hubbard to do the rest. As far as happy endings go, though, "signing a scholarship offer with a Division I program" is an awfully good place to start.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Iowa takes a chance on former felon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
I applaud Iowa for this and remember this story when I was researching the JUCO All-American team. From the looks of things, Hubbard has worked hard to turn his life around. Here's hoping it works for him :)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »
The purpose of prison and sentincing is rehabilitation and getting people back to contributing members of society.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but hopefully this young guy has his act together and keeps his head out of trouble after getting this incredible opportunity.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Can you even imagine the uproar around here if this kid were coming to Marquette? A convicted felon, and worse yet, a JUCO!

Sounds like a young man who has earned a second chance. I applaud Iowa and McCaffery for giving it to him.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:56:14 PM by Lennys Tap »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:10:26 AM »
Can you even imagine the uproar around here if this kid were coming to Marquette? A convicted felon, and worse yet, a JUCO!

Sounds like a young man who has earned a second chance. I applaud Iowa and McCaffery for giving it to him.

Lenny,
Your two paragraphs set up a provocative duality, don't they?  Sort of like cura personalis: theory vs. practice.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
The purpose of prison and sentincing is rehabilitation and getting people back to contributing members of society.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but hopefully this young guy has his act together and keeps his head out of trouble after getting this incredible opportunity.

you forgot the punishment/retribution part of prison.  for some, the getting people back and conforming to society's rules part unfortunately don't seem to come too easily.  the criminal mind is usually intruduced and fortified at a young age.  so are consciences.

otherwise, i also applaud the second chance mr. hubbard is getting.  if this blows up however, it's unfortunate the blame would go on iowa.  based on their due diligence, everything seems at this point, that they are doing the noble thing.  if mr. hubbard facks up, it would be mr. hubbard's fault.  if he does well, it could be movie material.  good luck and God bless both iowa and mr. hubbard

feedback