[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Will Buzz Sign Someone This Spring For The Final Schollie Spot?

Yes
100 (73.5%)
No
36 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Vote: Will Buzz Sign Someone This Spring For The Final Schollie Spot?  (Read 5107 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Simple poll.  I voted yes.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Vote: Will Buzz Sign Someone This Spring For The Final Schollie Spot?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »
Wish he could sign more than one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
I voted yes...and somewhat sadly, because I think the signing will lead to controversy next year. He goes out and signs Joe Schmoski from West Eastern High as a project, and the guy doesn't play more than 7-9 games, and not once after the Big East season starts, being outshined even by the walk-on, Dave Singleton. Then in the offseason, it's announced he's transferring, Buzz brings in (hopefully) Kris Dunn and Jarnell Stokes, while waving goodbye to Schmoski and leaving to a truckload of "Buzzcutting" comments on this board, despite the guy always being a long shot to succeed here (cough, Mbao, cough).

I can't see the scholarship going unused, but I'm not sure it will be for the impact player we all wish we would see.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:02:16 AM »
The fact we're not hearing anything from him is a good thing. That means he's on the road, watching tape, etc.

Unless, he's playing 2k11 on his xBox all this time.
SS Marquette

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »
I believe those of you making the argument to bank to scholarship are making good arguments - logically there are a lot of higher ranked players considering us for 2012 than are still considering us for 2011.  I am just an absolutist that you never intentionally bank a scholarship with all the possibilities of transfers and no assurances of any of the top guys in 2012.  To that i can only add my reminder that a player rarely is a big contributors his freshman year, so a returning sophomore in 2012 will likely have more impact than a freshman in 2012 unless it is really a special freshman, so unless you know you are going to land two high-four stars/5 stars, we are probably better off taking a shot with someone in 2011.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
The reality is that the scholie will most likely be used.  I would prefer to bank it for later use; but, that probably is not going to happen.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
Yes.

He doesn't sit on them. And, as in the past, we could see player movement in any month of the off-season.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »
Whether player movement or not, the scholie is usually used to make sure there is sufficient depth in case of injur, academics, illnes, and whatever else (incuding player movement).

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »
The reality is somebody has to want to come to MU, right now that does not look good.  Take your chances next year
and add 2 more 3 or 4 star player in 2012. 

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Voted no. I am fine with our team right now.

If he does add someone my vote is a point guard. I won't be pleased with another switchable. But that being said I do trust Buzz.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
The poll is "Will Buzz sign" not "Do you want Buzz to sign".  I think many here are confused on that front.

That said, Buzz has stated that he will never intentionally "bank" a scholarship because rosters are always in a state of flux from injuries, transfers, etc.  So I predict that he indeed will sign someone for the '11 class.  Whether or not this person is ideally what we or the coaching staff might want is a whole other discussion.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
if you "bank" a schollie - where does that money go for that season?

(probably a stupid question, but thanks in advance)
The "average fan" is an idiot.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »
if you "bank" a schollie - where does that money go for that season?

(probably a stupid question, but thanks in advance)
The $ doesn't "go" anywhere.  It stays in the hands of the University to be used on anything else that deems worthy.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »
Wouldn't Buzz just give Singleton the schollie for a year if he signs no one new?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Wouldn't Buzz just give Singleton the schollie for a year if he signs no one new?

Theoretically, it could happen, but Buzz seems to act as though he's the CEO of a company when it comes to scholarship efficiency. It wouldn't be efficient to give Singleton a scholarship when his playing here is a given anyway and doesn't cost Marquette anything. Adding another player, even one that might seem like a longshot, has a higher potential payoff in case the guy turns out better than expected.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »
No way does Singleton get it. I don't know why Singleton is even here...I am sorry I have tried to understand it, but he is just a walk on...that is all he is going to be. I predict Frozena like minutes. Look at his High Point numbers and try to justify to me why he should get more than 2 minutes a game in the Big East?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »

If he doesn't sign anyone, I doubt he will give the scholie to Singleton.  He's going to keep it open in case of a transfer...maybe even a mid-year transfer of high enough quality.  If he gives it to Singleton, they lose all flexibility to use it at any time.  Remember that Jamil's transfer wasn't announced until late June - there still may be options out there that we don't know about yet.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
No way does Singleton get it. I don't know why Singleton is even here...I am sorry I have tried to understand it, but he is just a walk on...that is all he is going to be. I predict Frozena like minutes. Look at his High Point numbers and try to justify to me why he should get more than 2 minutes a game in the Big East?

A couple comments from WesMat last summer and now some people seem to think he'll be first off the bench. I doubt that. I'm happy to have a guy with D1 experience walking on, but I don't expect any real production from him. Anything more than what Frozena gave us is gravy, and frankly, no one should expect him to do any more than that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
This is why I am very worried about the back-up PG point for next year.  Our choices are a walk-on (Singleton), a freshman (DWil), or someone playing out of position (Blue, Jamil).  I still wonder about Johnny Lacy.  Milwaukee native in class of 2009, who signed with Providence and got into legal trouble.  He played this year at Howard College (same place as Jae), and would have two years of eligibility remaining.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
This is why I am very worried about the back-up PG point for next year.  Our choices are a walk-on (Singleton), a freshman (DWil), or someone playing out of position (Blue, Jamil).  I still wonder about Johnny Lacy.  Milwaukee native in class of 2009, who signed with Providence and got into legal trouble.  He played this year at Howard College (same place as Jae), and would have two years of eligibility remaining.

I could see Lacy, he considered MU before settling on Providence, and the prospect of coming back home and playing with Crowder couldn't hurt (did they play together?). There's a few other options out there, still haven't heard if Aaron Harwell is transferring from Centenary but his class status (sophomore who could play immediately) would be perfect. Could also see another JUCO like Marsell Holden or Hanif Nixon-Hughes, and there are a couple prep guys we were in on like Charles Bennett and AJ English, but I really think that an extra backup point, especially one with some small measure of experience, would be our best bet for this class.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Crean offered Lacy.  Buzz cooled on him more than anything.  He moved up the rankings early, but topped out and didn't have "high major" offers by the time he needed to make a choice.  He didn't play with Jae.  He played 09-10 at PC, and 10-11 at Howard.

Let me also add that Lacy *might* have the perfect mind-set to fill an experience back-up role behind Junior...happy to be back home and have another chance. 

I'm sure Buzz has a better plan than I do though...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:20:12 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
A couple comments from WesMat last summer and now some people seem to think he'll be first off the bench. I doubt that. I'm happy to have a guy with D1 experience walking on, but I don't expect any real production from him. Anything more than what Frozena gave us is gravy, and frankly, no one should expect him to do any more than that.
Listen, I don't what, if any contribution we'll get from Singleton next year, but in my opinion, comparing him to Frozena is a terrible comparison.  The only similarities between the two are that they both walked on at Marquette. 

Admittedly, I don't know much (if anything) about Frozena, but did he receive any scholarship offers to play D1 basketball?  Did he ever start even a single game at the D1 level?  I doubt the first and I know the answer to the last.

Singleton is a far more accomplished basketball player than Frozena and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some minutes next year.  Comparing the two players based purely on the fact that they paid their own tuition (or had it come via some other kind of scholarship rather than athletic) is not an indicator of how good of players they each are and doesn't mean they should be expected to contribute at the same level.

TheFarEastMovement

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »

Can Lacy transfer to MU, as he was enrolled in another Big East institution?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
Oh that is a good question.  I must admit I do not know the answer to this, but my guess is that since he went JUCO in between that he could. 

Look, don't read too much into me bringing it up.  Haven't seen his name mentioned with MU since the early days of Buzz.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
I'm almost 100% sure Lacy can't come to Marquette on scholarship since he was on scholarship previously at another Big East school plus Lacy had some issue's at Howard this year off the floor, so he has a big red flag right now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:47:17 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On