'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jerel in NBADL Finals  (Read 9635 times)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Jerel in NBADL Finals
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »

JMcSteal

• Starter
Re: Jerel in NBADL Finals
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »
Hot Damn, McNeal went off. Good to see him do well

leever

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
Glad to see Jerel lighting it up and really hope he gets a fair shot at the NBA.  Kinda troubling that he also had 4 to's and a -7 +/- though.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »
Glad to see Jerel lighting it up and really hope he gets a fair shot at the NBA.  Kinda troubling that he also had 4 to's and a -7 +/- though.

I would have been ecstatic with only 4 TO's in a 35 point game from Jerel in college. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »

Even with 4 to's that is a 2 to 1 ratio.
He avg. 3 points per shot, with only 1 three.
He made 67% and got to the line 20 times.  That means he was driving to the hoop all day.  No one does that and doesn't commit a few extra to's.

What is more troubling is that people think +- is anysort of measure of a player...  Rose for MVP!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:52:54 AM »
Jerel's averages in the NBADL playoffs:

1st Round: 38.3 min, 23 ppg, 7.7 apg, 4.7 rpg, 1.3 spg, 1.67 TO
2nd Round: 44 min, 33 ppg, 6.0 apg, 7.0 rpg, 1.0 spg, 3.5 TO

With those gaudy numbers, I can forgive the TOs!!!
SS Marquette

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »
Plus hitting 2 clutch free throws to send it into overtime.  Nice work Jerel.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
RGV loses in Game 1 to Iowa Energy.

McNeal is 8-21 (1-6 3pt), 20 pts, 8 reb and 5 TOs.

Game 1 Recap: You gotta "love" Scheyer's matador defense. McNeal must've taught him that.
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2011/04/24/20110421_iwa_rgv_gm1_recap.nba/index.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:43:41 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »
nvm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:37:11 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
RGV loses in Game 1 to Iowa Energy.

McNeal is 8-21 (1-6 3pt), 20 pts, 8 reb and 5 TOs.

Boy if that aint a typical Jerel line.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
I don't see McNeal making the NBA as a scorer. He's not athletic enough to score at his size.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
Monster game for Jerel:  37-9-8, 2 steals.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:49:15 AM »
Good for Jerel.

I've gotta say that I too get irritated by the attitude that a lot of posters here seems to have about Marquette's all time leading scorer.

From the first day that kid stepped on campus, he competed. As the years went on he consistently worked to add to his game. The stats that he put up during his career certainly showed that to be the case.

He was the least physically gifted of the 3 amigos but he played incredibly hard. He was a Warrior.

I think, after the ego blow of not getting drafted and then the troubles in Europe, we're starting to see the Jerel we saw at Marquette emerge again. He's tough. He's a leader. And he keeps seeming to get better.

In the post-game interview his coach was saying he thinks he's been the MVP of the DL. A cynic might say that's like being named "Tallest Midget." I'd say he's doing the absolute most he can with the opportunity he's been given.

Good for you Jerel. Keep doing the Warriors proud.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 02:10:16 AM »
Good for Jerel.

I've gotta say that I too get irritated by the attitude that a lot of posters here seems to have about Marquette's all time leading scorer.

So you have no complaints about any shot Jerel ever took?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 06:50:03 AM »
Buzz was @ the game:

Vipers vs. Energy: Gm 2

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 07:46:39 AM »
Jerel had/has flaws, just like every other player to ever play at MU.    I am trying to think of a player we've ever had that I didn't yell at while watching.   Still thinking......     But he never gave less than 100% effort.    That is all you can ask.    He made mistakes, but it was never because he took a play off.    Good to see him having success, good to see him playing the point.    I said when he was at MU that he was going to have to learn to play the point because the market for 6'2 shooting guards in the NBA is not good.    I always thought the 'Charlie Bell' route was going to be how he made it to the league. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »
The lack of appreciation for a guy who absolutely busted his butt for four years and happened to become the school's all-time leading scorer is amazing. Yes, he had flaws and was frustrating at times, but never from a lack of effort or willingness to compete. Some of the comments seem to suggest he was a liability out there. I don't get it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
Hope this is like a reality show, where the MVP of the NDBL finals gets a ticket to the League.

.. What's the deal with these freaking highlights?  I've watched 3-4 of these when Jerel has a great game, and they'll have ONE highlight of him.  He scored 37 points for crap's sake, they showed two highlights at the very end, like leading both teams in points is no big deal.  

Same thing for his 35 point game last week.  

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
The lack of appreciation for a guy who absolutely busted his butt for four years and happened to become the school's all-time leading scorer is amazing. Yes, he had flaws and was frustrating at times, but never from a lack of effort or willingness to compete. Some of the comments seem to suggest he was a liability out there. I don't get it.

Agreed. And for those still harping on the Villanova game, get the eff over it. Yeah it sucked, but did that game hurt MU all that much? No. That team had a ceiling without Dominic.

Find it interesting that people don't get on Lazar still for stepping on the baseline. Or Jimmy for "Ole-ing" against Washington. But Jerel still gets killed for a mistake in a far less meaningful game.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
I don't see McNeal making the NBA as a scorer. He's not athletic enough to score at his size.

I know its the NBADL, but he is putting up 30 in games.

He at least deserves a shot... considering some of the mooks that are in the league currently.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 08:52:30 AM »

Sorry, but I thought he took too many shots and took too many chances on defense for the sake of steals.  The fact that he is MU's all time leading scorer has more to do with the sheer volume of games he played, and the sheer number of shots he took, more than anything.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
Every team has had a player on every team who has made mistakes.  I loved Jerel when he was here, loved when he became the all time leading scorer, and I love to follow him now when I can, just like all of the MU alumni all over the world.

Hats off to him and I hope he can make it into the league.

He gave us a chance every night to win, and when he didn't play we scored 47 points.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »

Sorry, but I thought he took too many shots and took too many chances on defense for the sake of steals.  The fact that he is MU's all time leading scorer has more to do with the sheer volume of games he played, and the sheer number of shots he took, more than anything.

While that's true, it says something about #22 that he was able to play that volume of games and get that number of minutes. He earned all of that playing time.  

I'll never say he's the greatest scorer in MU history, but still, it's a very, very impressive record... especially considering he won defensive player of the year.

I understand under a microscope, his game has some flaws, but I'd put him on my team everyday of the week. He was a great college player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 09:26:08 AM »
Here is the problem with your statement...he was not a "great college player."  He barely cracked the top 100 in a couple of the kenpom efficiency categories.  I mean, he was ranked 493rd in offensive efficiency.

Look, he was a good player who put forth maximum effort...but made a number of bone-headed plays in every game that made you want to tear your hair out.