[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gabe York planning visit...  (Read 19275 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: Gabe York planning visit...
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
I'm not Rulzgal...but read my signature (courtesy of one Rulzgal's posts).
I'm not rulzgal either...but your signature answers no part of my question. All agree that Gabe is a prospect, thank you.

Read my subsequent post, to the one you quote,  on 1) my plan of not doing a thing; and 2) my still lingering question.

BTW, I can read your post without shouted bold typeface.

I am more than a little aware of contact rules, as K Bradley and E Williams recruited out of the high school my girls attended, and Jimmy Butler played our school. My wife and I learned not to make even eye contact to any of these  kids, or their families. lol.
My current question has to do with how contact rules deal with my cuz, not a booster, at OLU.
As you do not know the answer to this---I will await rulzgal....thanks for your effort, though.

We--Rulzgal, you, and I looked at this in July--but my cuz at Olu situation wasnt spoken to--see thread:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20985.msg222730#msg222730
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Litehouse

• All American

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
Wow, that kid is a freak...it's like watching old highlights of James but with some height.

Question, how many paid visits do prospects get? 4 right? How do these guys afford to fly all over the country and visit schools?

These are all unofficial visits, so he and his family are paying.  Official visits can't be taken until the student starts taking classes in his senior year.  When official visits can be taken next fall, he can take up to 5.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

RyanConroy

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
Sounds like York cancelled his visits, came down with mono.  He didn't make the trip to ND today.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
Sounds like York cancelled his visits, came down with mono.  He didn't make the trip to ND today.

Probably for the best...I'd rather get mono than go to Notre Dame.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »
New article on York.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6430255

From the article

Buzz Williams and Marquette must have sensed that early because the Golden Eagles are well positioned to make a run at him. York said Williams has done the best job with him so far.

"He's been really cool with me. Sometimes when I'm talking to coaches I can tell they're reading it off a sheet of paper instead of just talking to me," York said. "I think [Williams] and [Washington coach] Lorenzo Romar are the two that really stood out."

----

Who is he talking about?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 04:28:42 AM »
So is this the PG we are targetting in 2012?  He plays SG now, but looks like he is making the position switch.  This would be the second straight year we look at a combo guard versus a true point.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »
So is this the PG we are targetting in 2012?  He plays SG now, but looks like he is making the position switch.  This would be the second straight year we look at a combo guard versus a true point.

Thats a pretty interesting point to pick up on, Sultan. Junior is obviously a "true" point - but he still can create/shield his own shot with his body while attacking the hoop - and i love his ability to recognize when he can beast a smaller guard. Sometimes its harder for him to get there b/c his defender can sag off him since "Junior can't shoot" (Buzz Quote).

Personally, I think having a PG that a team has to at least respect his jump shot can really open things up for other guys; I like a PG that can score.

But who's to say one (or both) of these combo guards don't turn into "true" PGs?
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »
Probably for the best...I'd rather get mono than go to Notre Dame.

+1
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
Sometimes its harder for him to get there b/c his defender can sag off him since "Junior can't shoot" (Buzz Quote).Personally, I think having a PG that a team has to at least respect his jump shot can really open things up for other guys; I like a PG that can score.

Both points you make are great - and I agree...a PG like Jordan Taylor or any other who can shoot it makes the game easier for the rest of his team (so long as he isn't a ball-hogging point guard).

Second point - it is the above type of candor by Buzz as to why I think he's destined for greatness.  Buzz builds up enough equity with his guys - to where they know he's all in, all the time, and all about them becoming their best - to where making statements like, "Junior can't shoot," doesn't result in a bad player coach relationship.  Plus, you know it has to grind on Junior, and make Junior want to do everything he can do to prove Buzz wrong.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
Gabe York was also scheduled to play in the Jayhawk Invitational this weekend as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Maybe the issue is that there aren't many "pure points" around anymore.  Maybe the kids that run point in AAU and HS ball aren't cut out for D1 ball, so instead you have to convert a more athletic, but undersized, 2 guard to run the point.

I don't know the answer...I also don't know if Buzz prefers pures but can't get them, or if he likes the idea of the combo guards.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
Maybe the issue is that there aren't many "pure points" around anymore.  Maybe the kids that run point in AAU and HS ball aren't cut out for D1 ball, so instead you have to convert a more athletic, but undersized, 2 guard to run the point.

I don't know the answer...I also don't know if Buzz prefers pures but can't get them, or if he likes the idea of the combo guards.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the former. These days, everyone wants a point that's 6'3" or 6'4", and anyone under 6'0" is considered undersized. Ten-fifteen years ago, any point that was 6'1" or taller was pretty big for the position. The kids that have the athleticism to shine are more often than not going to try to be scorers because the mindset is that the scorers are the stars and get the big-time scholarships.

I think it can work either way. Whether they were always a point (JC) or have to develop the skills (York), I want a guy who's willing to be dedicated to being a point guard. The jump shot is a bonus, but ideally, I want a guy who's looking for the pass first, who can thread a needle with a basketball, and who seems to have eyes like Triclops from He-Man because he sees the whole court.

I was listening to the Score the other day and one of D-Rose's high school coaches was talking about him. He said that he remembered a game when Rose was at Simeon against some other national powerhouse. Before the game, Rose said that he knew there were scouts there and that he had to prove to the country that he was the best point guard out there and that he was ready to dominate. The coaching staff got uneasy, expecting him to jack up 25 shots and try to outscore the opponents by himself. Instead, he went 1-3 from the field, scored 2 points, but was in complete control of the game because he just distributed all day. That's what I want. A guy who has the ability to score if needed, but who is focused on making the team better.

Then again, I suppose that's what most every college team wants from their point guard. Whether we can get that out of York, or Harrow, or Dunn, or Wilson, I don't care. I just want someone who can be a point guard first. Buycks gave a valiant effort in making the position switch, but it was pretty clear that his game wasn't best suited to the 1. We need someone whose skillset fits. Here's hoping Buzz can find that guy (or already has).

robertoc

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
Deftly played He-Man reference. Good memories!

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
MU needs Gabe York....and Gabe York needs MU
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
York is one of the more sought after scoring guards on the west coast for his class. He's one of the most prolific jump shooters in the country. He gets great lift on his shot and his range extends to 25-feet. In terms of finishing in transition, he is exceptional. He has excellent body control finishing in the paint area and he has had a number of highlight reel dunks in traffic throughout his young career. 14th best shooting gaurd by ESPN. Heres a link of a you tube video some of his highlights. Let me know what you guys think of him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Bo13jyWpo

Buzz Williams and Marquette must have sensed that he is an unbelievable scorer early because the Golden Eagles are well positioned to make a run at him. York said Williams has done the best job with him so far.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6430255

Heres another link from espn that Gabe mentions his deep interset in us.

Overall this would be a huge pick up for us in 2012 he could make a huge impact as a freshman.

With Marquette producing a lot of nba gaurds it would be a grat fit for him. We need him and he needs us.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: MU needs Gabe York....and Gabe York needs MU
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 12:54:52 PM »
That would be HUGE if we could land him.  C'mon Buzz!

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Re: MU needs Gabe York....and Gabe York needs MU
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
I think I've seen this thread already...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26783.0

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
This guy still in the picture?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 01:02:25 PM »
This guy still in the picture?

He hasn't committed elsewhere yet, but I have to think that after getting the verbal from TJ Taylor, York will likely be looking elsewhere.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
I read he was going to visit over the summer when he was in chicago for a Tournament.  I'm off the opinion that They are looking at york as a PG and that they want to Bring in a point for 2012.  As well as a Big. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
I read he was going to visit over the summer when he was in chicago for a Tournament.  I'm off the opinion that They are looking at york as a PG and that they want to Bring in a point for 2012.  As well as a Big.

I think it will depend on what happens with our 2 remaining scholarships for this year, but I just can't see adding a second point for 2012. As of right now, we have 2 scholarships we can use this year. We have none for 2012. If any open, or if we don't use one, we are currently bringing in a point guard (TJ Taylor) and a switchable (Jamal Ferguson). Based on Buzz's recruiting philosophy, if he adds anyone for 2012, it should be a big as he wants one point and one big every year.

While some places list Taylor as a SG, he was a PG first that had a scoring mentality. York, on the other hand, is a shooting guard that is trying to learn the point to better suit the college game. But Taylor has always been PG first while York has been SG first. He's a great talent, but based on our incoming class, he doesn't seem to be our biggest need. I think that barring transfers or holding over multiple scholarships, guys like York and Kris Dunn probably became very low priorities when we got the verbal from Taylor.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2011, 06:41:29 PM »
Taylor is a shooting guard who can probably play some point not the other way around.

Physically he is a bigger version of DJO.

Both Rivals and Scout had him listed as a shooting guard.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
Taylor is a shooting guard who can probably play some point not the other way around.

Physically he is a bigger version of DJO.

Both Rivals and Scout had him listed as a shooting guard.

OUHoops.com calls him a left-handed point guard. At Paris, they were overjoyed to add former three-time Denison all-star point guard TJ Taylor. The schools that brought him in seem to have brought him in as a point guard. A scoring point, granted, but still a point.

Gabe York has specifically talked about needing to improve his point skills. Can't find the link right now, but he's definitely a shooting guard first.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »
This is a no brainer.  Marquette would jump for joy to sign Gabe York.  The people here saying otherwise haven't seen him play.