[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamail Jones' HS: Florida HS to pay hoops head man more than 4 NCAA coaches  (Read 3620 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Florida school to pay hoops head man more than 4 NCAA coaches

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Florida-school-to-pay-hoops-head-man-more-than-4?urn=highschool-wp985

Last week, longtime St. Patrick (N.J.) High basketball coach Kevin Boyle left the school he transformed into a national power for an identical position at Montverde (Fla.) Academy, a small private school in the midst of a similar thrust up the national rankings. While the competitive logistics and site of the job were factors in Boyle's decision, it has since become clear that he also had more than 100,000 reasons to take the new position.

According to Scouts Focus chief Joe Davis, multiple St. Patrick players confirmed that Boyle disclosed the terms of his new contract in his meeting informing them of his departure. While the players couldn't recall the exact number he cited, they all said he was making more than $100,000 per year, in addition to having the use of a free school car and a house for his family. The Boyle family's new house will be across the street from Montverde.

Those personal testaments match a report from high school basketball blogger Adam Zagoria which claimed Boyle's new salary will be $130,000 annually. If that number is true, Boyle will be paid more than four current NCAA Division I coaches, including the head men at Binghamton and North Dakota State, both of which have made the NCAA tournament in recent seasons.

As outlandish as those numbers (if true) may seem, they get even more absurd when you consider the fact that Boyle reportedly wasn't even the school's first choice for the job. According to FOX5Vegas, Findlay Prep (Nev.) Academy coach Mike Peck was offered the job and turned down the opportunity, just before it was offered up to Boyle, allegedly with identical terms, according to a source close to the Findlay Prep community who spoke to Scouts Focus on the condition of anonymity. Whether Peck rejected the Montverde opportunity for financial or lifestyle reasons is unknown, but if it was the former then that would make two high school hoops head men with truly incredible compensation packages.

No matter how well Boyle is being remunerated in his new gig, the one he left behind carries with it some immensely talented players who are left with delicate emotions over his departure. As the Scouts Focus video above shows, the St. Patrick program suddenly finds itself in a state of flux, hoping to retain as many top players as it can, all the while realistic that some will almost certainly leave.

One of the most hyped among that crop is freshman phenom Dakari Johnson, who openly questioned whether he would return to the school next year, saying that the school he attends next year would be, "a family decision." Meanwhile, junior point guard Deshaun Suber and sophomore swingman Jason Boswell both said they tentatively plan to return, regardless of statements that may have come out immediately after the news of Boyle's departure leaked.

Regardless of where those players wind up, and who coaches them, it's clear that Boyle's move to Florida has done far more than change the trajectory of one program in New Jersey; it's also altered the landscape of prep basketball in the tri-state area, and possibly even established a going rate for trying to build a top program at the national level.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:46:00 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Met Boyle once. If any HS coach deserves that money, he's got a strong case for it.

GGGG

• All American
Frankly this speaks more as to how pathetically some universities pay their basketball coach. I mean a D1 college basketball coach needs to be paid more than 100K these days.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
No state income tax in Florida vs  taxes in New Jersey...makes that money go even further.

avid1010

• All American
Frankly this speaks more as to how pathetically some universities pay their basketball coach. I mean a D1 college basketball coach needs to be paid more than 100K these days.

That's a loaded statement.  I guess I find it somewhat refreshing to think that a top notch professor can make more than a coach, but all things considered, they're worth what the highest bidder will pay, no less, no more.

GGGG

• All American
I am just looking at peer salaries. If one school is paying 30 times another school in salary, I wonder why they even bother.

NCMUFan

• All American
Don't get why people get bent out of shape on what someone else makes.  It's basically none of their business unless the salary comes out of taxes..

DaCoach

• Team Captain
Don't get why people get bent out of shape on what someone else makes.  It's basically none of their business unless the salary comes out of taxes..
+100
Players win awards but teams win championships

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
According to our quantcast demographics, 1/3 of MUScoop members/visitors make "more than four current NCAA Division I coaches, including the head men at Binghamton and North Dakota State".

So.  What.  $100k isn't what it used to be. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Boyle is a massive douche (who isn't these days?) but he wins. Big. Always gave a challenge to King Hurley in Jersey. Sad to see him go as Hurley will now dominate without competition so the head will swell to Elephant Man levels. Bad for Jersey ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
According to our quantcast demographics, 1/3 of MUScoop members/visitors make "more than four current NCAA Division I coaches, including the head men at Binghamton and North Dakota State".

So.  What.  $100k isn't what it used to be. 

Word.  I make a lot more than those four coaches and I still am on cloud 9 because I got $25 restaurant gift certificates for $3 two nights ago. 

Only 1/3 of Scoop members, though?  I guess it's good to converse with the poors.

70 degrees in your city on Sunday.  Make it hot, mami. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Only 1/3 of Scoop members, though?  I guess it's good to converse with the poors.

We appreciate your benevolence :p