collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM might consider football?  (Read 10973 times)

GGGG

• All American
UWM might consider football?
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:30:09 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/119736504.html

Jeez that athletic program is a mess.  Basketball is looking for an on-campus arena...the baseball facility is considered one of the worst in D1...and they are now talking football?

Good luck to their new AD.

madtownwarrior

• All American
Re: UWM might consider football?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
Mount Mary has a better chance at starting a D1 football team than UW-M...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
Mount Mary has a better chance at starting a D1 football team than UW-M...

They certainly have the space to put a stadium.  Seriously for a school that is that much financial trouble, you'd think they'd sell off some of that Tosa land.

JMcSteal

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
The new AD certainly has his plate full, but it is nice to see he has some drive to get things going. I think it would be pretty cool if they got football. Like it says it is just an "idea" or whatever but at least someone in Milwaukee is thinking about bringing football back.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
UWM has a better chance of bringing football back than Marquette for two reasons:

1.  UWM has more alumni in the area
2.  UWM has an athletic director who is open to the idea.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »
UWM has a better chance of bringing football back than Marquette for two reasons:

1.  UWM has more alumni in the area
2.  UWM has an athletic director who is open to the idea.

3.  No one cares about UWM and would might make them relevant in the Milwaukee sports scene.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
They would lose a lot of games and a lot of money. This would have to be paid for by student fees. You think UWM students are going to go for this?  They don't even care about their basketball program now.

JMcSteal

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
"Although students have said they're willing to pay a new fee, a good chunk of the $68 million or so for a basketball facility would have to come from private funds. Costello knows it's going to be about persuasive fundraising among the more than 100,000 UWM alums"

I know that is for the Basketball stadium, but sounds like it would be the same for football. No way they would make the students pay for all of the football costs.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »
That the same as saying buying two lottery tickets and saying you have better chance to win than just buying 1 lottery ticket.

Ain't gonna happen.   Do you really think they will add a sport with 68 scholarships and create an additional 6 - 7 women's sports teams with the equal number of scholarships.  Not to mention needing a stadium to play in?   Not to mention they can't get 200 students to their home basketball games - oh yeah, and they need a home basketball arena too?

Really?

1.  UWM has more alumni in the area
2.  UWM has an athletic director who is open to the idea.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:35:44 PM by madtownwarrior »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »
I didn't say it was gonna happen.

Buying 2 lottery tickets does double your chances of winning, though.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JMcSteal

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
I didn't say it was gonna happen.

Buying 2 lottery tickets does double your chances of winning, though.

+1

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
The Dennis Krause Show has UWM AD, Rick Costello on this week. It's a great show.

The JSOnline part talks to much about football. The goal is to sell more tickets now and look how to get a new basketball arena going on-campus. Football will be talked about, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:49:26 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »
Raising 60 million to build a basketball arena will be very difficult. Hell they can't get the $$ together to buy part of the county grounds from the county. I mean how much was the Al?  40 million?  And MU's alumni base is much wealthier and cares about basketball than UWMs.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
All I can say is if UW-Milwaukee gets football it would torpedo everyone's argument here that we shouldn't or couldn't.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »
And if UW-Milwaukee bows to the cold hard economics of starting a program from scratch, it will bolster somebody's argument. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 06:02:59 PM »
Chicos. We *can* start a program. The real questions are "Can we field a competitive program?" And "if we field a competitive program, what does that take away from other things MU can do with that money?"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »
Let me also add that, while I love college football, I think its impact on about 90 pct of schools is neutral at best and mostly negative. Most schools could drop the sport with no adverse effect and my guess you will see just that given the costs and the money pressures that many schools are facing. Both MU and UWM would likely create blah programs that would celebrate making the Papa Johns Bowl some day...and would lose major $$$ in doing so.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »
Chicos. We *can* start a program. The real questions are "Can we field a competitive program?" And "if we field a competitive program, what does that take away from other things MU can do with that money?"

That's one way of looking at it.  The other would be to see what can we do with starting a program that would benefit the university, make it more national in prestige, etc.  It would be an embarrassment to have UW-Milwaukee start a football program and MU not have one. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »
I wouldn't be embarrassed in the least. Especially since they'd be getting their ass handed to them regularly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I wouldn't be embarrassed in the least. Especially since they'd be getting their ass handed to them regularly.

Depends what kind of program they start.  Are they going to start a program like Butler's football program?  San Diego?  Dayton?  Villanova?  FCS?  Or are they going to start a FBS program?

I see no reason why we couldn't start a FCS program and be competitive.  I suspect UW-Milwaukee would go down that path.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
Does an FCS program add to a schools national prestige?  Is Eastern Washington now on their way to recruiting more students and raising more money due to their glorious national championship?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 07:35:28 PM »
Does an FCS program add to a schools national prestige?  Is Eastern Washington now on their way to recruiting more students and raising more money due to their glorious national championship?

With that red turf and the amount of exposure they got from it, I'd say it has paid some dividends for them and will continue in the next few years.

Does it for everyone?  No.   Down here in So. Cal when Jim Harbaugh was the head coach, it certainly helped them.  Others, I'd agree that the benefit probably isn't there.  It depends on the school, the community, etc. 

I'm looking at it from the aspect of longer term.  I'd much rather be in Villanova's position right now than Marquette's because they at least have a building block in football from which to expand.  We do not.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »
I'm looking at it from the aspect of longer term.  I'd much rather be in Villanova's position right now than Marquette's because they at least have a building block in football from which to expand.  We do not.

This!

I feel like we've had this argument before somewhere...
I will applaud UWM for "talking" about it. Marquette has never even entertained the idea. A headline of "MU exploring Football program" on page 6 of the JS Sport section with the final like of "It's just not feasible at this time" would suffice
The only think that would bother me would be even my UWM friends could say "Hows MU football doing?"

..I wouldn't complain about a baseball program either
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:59:03 PM by Ari Gold »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:30 AM »
The only think that would bother me would be even my UWM friends could say "Hows MU football doing?"

Really?  That would bother you?  Honestly, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »

Really?  That would bother you?  Honestly, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

It would bother me.  It would show me that they think big, they are bold and willing to take some risks.