Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Portsmouth Rosters  (Read 9136 times)

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
Re: Portsmouth Rosters
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
DraftExpress on Jimmy's 2nd game:

-Jimmy Butler had another impressive showing in leading his team to victory. The Marquette product finished with 19 points on a super efficient 7-11 shooting. He was all over the place defensively, showed great timing crashing the glass, made some excellent passes, looked extremely comfortable scoring from the midrange, and did nothing to dispel the assertions that he has good role-player potential and is one of the most polished players in attendance at this year's PIT. We will feature him in a more detailed report later this week, but in the meantime, here's an interview we conducted with him after the game, which highlights many of the things NBA teams like about him so much as an “intangibles guy”

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2011-Portsmouth-Invitational-Tournament-Day-Three-3669/#ixzz1J4SWfaNB
http://www.draftexpress.com

It looks like he will get invited to Chicago with the way he has excelled at the PIT.  So all will get a chance to see his physical measures and athletic testing.  I believe the testing is going to give him a HUGE bump!  GO JIMMY!!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 06:38:08 PM »
Agreed!  Chicos, getting nervous for our bet?? :)

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
More praise from nba.com....

One player who hasn't struggled is Marquette's Jimmy Butler. The standout performer from the opening day of the tournament, Butler had another strong game, finishing with 18 points on 7-for-11 shooting, five rebounds and two blocks to lead K&D Rounds Landscaping into the championship game with a 79-66 win over Portsmouth Partnership.
Butler is one of the easier players in the field to evaluate. He has good size (6-foot-7) and versatility, having played several positions at Marquette. He plays within himself, never forcing anything. He knocks down open shots. He defends.
In yesterday's game he matched up with West Virginia's Casey Mitchell, one of the camp's hottest shooters, and held him to 17 points on 7-for-18 shooting, much of that coming in garbage time. It's rare to see a player take on a defensive challenge in this setting, but Butler was intent on making things difficult for Mitchell, who was clearly frustrated.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/04/09/portsmouth-day-3/index.html

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »
Jimmy led his team to the championship tonight in a 110-93 blowout.  Here's his line:
 33 Min 19 PTS (5-7 FG)(1-1 3PT)(8-8 FT) 5 REB 6 A 1 TO

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »
Jimmy's total averages in the tournament:

29.3  Minutes
18.7  PTS
62    FG% (17-29)
100  3PT% (2-2)
100  FT%  (18-18)
4.7   REB
4     ASST
0.3   STL
0.7   BLK
1      TO

It also appears he locked down the best scorer in every game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
I have to say, opposing fans have always come away impressed with Jimmy...in a head shaking, understated way. He was 1st team in the CBE, was a tough match-up in the BE and NCAA's, and was always consistent on both ends of the court. Amazing he was only Honorable Mention BE. With his size, wingspan and mid-range game, he will get a long look. Heard he tested incredibly well at Portsmouth too.  

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »
Amazing he was only Honorable Mention BE.

Playing within yourself and doing all the little things to benefit your teams won't win you many accolades.  Thankfully/regrettably we'll never know the Jimmy Butler that takes every semi-open shot just to go 10-25 shooting and score 30 points with 10 rebounds.

I suppose only time will tell if his unselfishness hurts him pursuing a career.   

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 12:47:24 AM »
I think his unselfishness will only help him get drafted. If he gets drafted, it will most likely be the second round (I have my fingers crossed that he sneaks in to the first like Lazar, but just hoping he gets drafted to a good fit). Those teams looking at him will want a guy that meshes in with the team and does the little things, not a guy who needs the ball to be effective. Jimmy can do a lot of the little things that good teams need to win, one of the reasons I think Matthews has been so successful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
GREAT performance by Jimmy at Portsmouth.  Really glad to read all of the DraftExpress and NBA.com articles shared here.  Awesome tourney stats.  Couldn't be happier for Jimmy.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
Agreed!  Chicos, getting nervous for our bet?? :)

Not at all...hope I have to pay it off.  Would love nothing more for another guy to make it into the pros, plus it would be Buzz's first guy in the pros.  That would help in recruiting.