collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jerry Jones hopes for Redux, in BCS Cotton Bowl  (Read 2370 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Jerry Jones hopes for Redux, in BCS Cotton Bowl
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:45:48 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/27138/cotton-bowl-should-go-bcs-or-bust
With the Fiesta Bowl scandals, the BCS warns it may pull out, and Jerry Jones stands poised to have the Cotton Bowl, at the new stadium in Arlington, become the 4th BCS bowl. Presumably, he'll fix those 400 seats, and hope for better weather/planning than the Superbowl. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Jerry Jones hopes for Redux, in BCS Cotton Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »
I wholeheartedly support this move, as it increases the chances for a Marquette shout out on national TV during the college football bowl season.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
I wholeheartedly support this move, as it increases the chances for a Marquette shout out on national TV during the college football bowl season.
As in MU was in the first cotton bowl?

The game ball for that game, and from another MU game, ..2 years following( a followup game with TCU--we lost then too), are both in the TX sports hall of fame---it kind of neat...and the absolutely only fun thing to do in Waco

BTW-- do you know if Ralph Metcalffe was on those teams...I thought he played some football, too, before the 36 Olympics
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

groove

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:51:06 PM »
Here's the link to the Jan. 2, 1937 Milwaukee Journal story about the game. Sammy Baugh was the quarterback for TCU.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=3MoWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ACIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6773%2C49901

Apparently the whole idea of short paragraphs was not commonplace in the Milwaukee Journal back then.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:52:38 PM by groove »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
Thanks mucho. Its very cool to read that old of an article---I didnt know they posted stuff on the internet in the 1930's--lol.

. Slingin Sammy Baughfor TCU, and Art Guepe for MU...I guess back then every catholic FB team had to have a George Gipp, Art Guepe, etc., .....and go out and win one for the Gipper!!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
Wow, just read that. The thing that really stood out was "the 168-pound senior end".  The kickers don't even weigh 168 pounds anymore.

groove

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
Hilltoppers and Avalanche both used in the article.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »
Thanks mucho. Its very cool to read that old of an article---I didnt know they posted stuff on the internet in the 1930's--lol.

. Slingin Sammy Baughfor TCU, and Art Guepe for MU...I guess back then every catholic FB team had to have a George Gipp, Art Guepe, etc., .....and go out and win one for the Gipper!!

I like how they referred to a 16-6 game as "daring and spectacular offensive duel." Must've been a Big 10 bball beat writer.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »
As a kid I remember old guys putting down all the footballers of the 60s and 70s...claiming that as a threat on offense-QB , defense- DB, and special teams -Punter,...Sammy Baugh was hands down the best football player ever...he sounds awesome .....

....."Sammy Baugh was the last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class of 1963. He was the only one of that first group elected unanimously.

After starring at TCU, "Slingin' Sammy" played with the Redskins from 1937 to 1952, leading them to the NFL title in his rookie season and again in 1942.

Baugh was the best all-around player ,ever,in an era when versatility was essential. In 1943, he led the league in passing, punting and interceptions. In one game, he threw four touchdowns and also intercepted four passes. He threw six touchdowns passes in a game twice. His 51.4-yard punting average in 1940 remains the NFL record."

There's nobody any better than Sam Baugh was in pro football," Don Maynard, a fellow West Texas Hall of Famer who played for Baugh, said in a 2002 interview. "When I see somebody picking the greatest player around, to me, if they didn't go both ways, they don't really deserve to be nominated. I always ask, 'Well, how'd he do on defense? How was his punting?"'

When Baugh entered the NFL, the forward pass was so rare that it was unveiled mostly in desperate situations

As a rookie in 1937, he completed a record 81 passes (about seven a game) and led the league with 1,127 yards passing. By contrast, only six quarterbacks averaged three completions a game that year. He went on to lead the league in passing six times.

Baugh still holds Redskins records for career touchdown passes (187) and completion percentage in a season (70.3). And his 31 interceptions on defense are third on the team's career list.

"He was amazing, just tremendously accurate," Eddie LeBaron, who took over as Washington's quarterback in Baugh's last season, said in a 2002 interview. "He could always find a way to throw it off balance. I've seen him throw the ball overarm, sidearm and underarm and complete them."

Baugh guided the Redskins to five title games and two championships, playing his entire career without a face mask
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:43:14 PM by houwarrior »

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »
I love looking at old papers like that and they never fail to enlighten on other subjects. On the bottom of page 9 there is an article on limiting number of golf clubs to 14 due to..
1)Relief to caddies from unfair burdens.
2) Speed up play so players can make club decisions quicker.
3)Allows players to compete that might not be able to afford more clubs.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
The 14 club limit (still todays rule) was still new then,in 1937,  I guess, ....as I found this...:

Trivia buffs know that this rule is actually a modern contrivance. Even as recently as the early twentieth century you could see bags filled with as many as two dozen specialized clubs, such as rutting irons, tracking irons and presidents... every one of them legal! Our 1927 rule book makes no mention of a limit to the number of clubs you may carry.