collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Apartment Buildings - Milwaukee  (Read 5087 times)

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
Apartment Buildings - Milwaukee
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:23:26 AM »
Hello,

I am starting to look for an apartment downtown. I have never lived off campus before, so I'm not really sure where the best places to live are.

I'd like to live east of the river, 1 bedroom, I'd MAYBE consider a studio, I'd like it to be as cheap as possible without being a dump, and I'd like to be within walking distance to water street area (I don't mind a long walk).

Any suggestions on specific buildings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Apartment Buildings - Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »
Hello,

I am starting to look for an apartment downtown. I have never lived off campus before, so I'm not really sure where the best places to live are.

I'd like to live east of the river, 1 bedroom, I'd MAYBE consider a studio, I'd like it to be as cheap as possible without being a dump, and I'd like to be within walking distance to water street area (I don't mind a long walk).

Thanks

Cake and eat it too, eh?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »
The City Hall Square apartments are what immediately come to mind for me.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:35:21 AM »
I wonder if the glut of condos downtown helps drive down rents due to investors/abandoners/people who want to move but can't find a buyer so rent the place out.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
I wonder if the glut of condos downtown helps drive down rents due to investors/abandoners/people who want to move but can't find a buyer so rent the place out.

I thought it would, but looking for this summer has been rough. I thought it would be a major buyers market between kids from MSOE, MU, and UWM looking to sublet places, but its not as easy as I thought it'd be. I figured there'd be enough people out there excited to be able to sublet an apartment or rent out a condo for a few months that it'd drive price down, but hasnt worked out that way thus far.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:40:30 AM »
Cake and eat it too, eh?

Does the kind of place I described not exist? Like I said, I have no idea what I'm getting into. Any info would be helpful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
Depends on what "as cheap as possible" means. For a one bedroom in that area, you're looking at probably $650 and up.

There are some older buildings that are east of Van Buren between Kilbourn and Knapp that are cheaper, but that's a hike to Water St.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
Does the kind of place I described not exist? Like I said, I have no idea what I'm getting into. Any info would be helpful.

It depends on your definitions of "cheap" and "dump" There are places that I happily lived in as a 23-year-old bachelor that I'd now put in the dump category as a 30-year-old husband and father. It's all relative.

I lived in several different apts and all were good enough. I'm pretty sure they were all between Water and the lake, north of Wells and south of Ogden. Tons of decent, affordable apts in that area. I'd suggest you take a walking or driving "tour" in that area some afternoon. You can jot down some phone numbers of apt buildings to call later or simply call right then to see if you can get a tour.

Good luck!

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »
Hello,

Thanks

East Point is just up the hill.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
Have checked out University Club Tower? Looks like a nice crib from the outside and certainly within walking distance to the bars.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
Have checked out University Club Tower? Looks like a nice crib from the outside and certainly within walking distance to the bars.

This 1 bedroom, 2 bath condo could be YOURS for a cool $1,075,000

http://www.universityclubtower.com/

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »

The Blatz has a lot of places for sale, could potentially get a decent deal on a rental from a frustrated condo seller.

The area between Brady and North Ave also has a bunch of relatively cheaper rentals.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 10:46:10 AM »
Two places I've lived

Check out the Shoreline management buildings,  they're all over the East Side.  Definitely older buildings but really well maintained and you can find some walking distance to Water Street, although once you graduate you'll find there are some great neighborhood bars on the East Side (Nomad, Points East, County Claire, etc.)  http://www.shorelinerealestate.com/

Other place is Juneau Village Gardens.  When I was there it was by far the best value in the near East / Downtown area (2 bedroom for $890 / month with 1 underground parking spot).  Also well maintained.

Neither of these options are high class living, but I found them reasonable for first apartments out of school and look to fit your requirements.

I'd try to stay away from Ogden buildings as I've found the ownership and management to be negligent on multiple levels.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:21 AM »
JVG is a nice building, but it's like $900 a month for a one bedroom. It's well-maintained and the manager is very good about responding to issues.

There's been a bit of a shakeup with the main rental companies. It used to be mainly Shoreline and Katz in that area, but awhile back they split some of the buildings off into a new company named Edgewater- www.edgewaterre.com. They have a decent amount of properties as well.

I'll second the area between Brady and North. Originally, I was looking in the East Town area and wasn't crazy about the Eastside. But I've been here almost 3 years and love it. From my place I'm a 3 minute walk from Brady and 10 from North. Much, much better than Water St. But if Water is your thing, it's a $10 cab.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »
On a serious note, do not under any circumstances rent a Katz Property. His rep is well deserved.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 12:16:41 PM »
The Holland, The Colonial or the Eastwood.  All on Cass.  Just north & just south of Kilbourn.  Great location, walk to Sumemrfest, Cathedral Park Bars, Metro market & more.

That's you're looking to live alone. 

My advice, get a roommate or two.  Makes everything cheaper.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
JVG is a nice building, but it's like $900 a month for a one bedroom. It's well-maintained and the manager is very good about responding to issues.

Is that JVG or JV Towers?  I know the Towers were a lot more expensive, JVG was the smaller 2-3 story buildings on the corner of Ogden and Jackson.  If it is JVG, rent has gone up a bunch since I was there (that was over 2 years ago so it could happen).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
If it is JVG, rent has gone up a bunch since I was there (that was over 2 years ago so it could happen).

It's JVG. My girlfriend lives there now, and her rent just went up again.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys... should help a lot.

Merrits Moustache - good point on being relative. After rethinking it, I'll say that I have pretty low standards I suppose.

Also, as long as I'm within an easy bus ride to downtown I'll be happy. My whole thing is I don't want to have to drive to work. I'm not too concerned with the water street bars, because my favorite bars are on Kinnikinnick St (Sugar Maple/Romans), so I'll have to taxi it up regardless.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys... should help a lot.

Merrits Moustache - good point on being relative. After rethinking it, I'll say that I have pretty low standards I suppose.

Also, as long as I'm within an easy bus ride to downtown I'll be happy. My whole thing is I don't want to have to drive to work. I'm not too concerned with the water street bars, because my favorite bars are on Kinnikinnick St (Sugar Maple/Romans), so I'll have to taxi it up regardless.

Taxi? Just take the 15 man.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
Yup that's actually what I do now.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »
I remember the first time I had a cigar at Romans..., I asked Mike if I could smoke it at the bar, and he said "hell, it's a bar, you can scratch your nuts if you want".  Great place, good scotches, lots of beers, nice people.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »
A little west of your zone but I lived in Library Hill at 7th and Wisconsin my senior year at MU. Very nice and relatively affordable.