collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: No Rest for MU PR Department  (Read 9336 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: No Rest for MU PR Department
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
Actually it is called fundamentalist, not conservative.

But have at it.  Should we ban him for this abhorent use of a phrase that is so despicable to you?   ::)

Your comments have taken this much farther than it EVER would have, that is the irony that is lost on you and hards, I am sure.

How has it taken it farther?  Didn't you step up to his defense with some inane excuse?  He drops the political stuff all the time, and no one calls him out on it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:13 PM »
Your comments have taken this much farther than it EVER would have, that is the irony that is lost on you and hards, I am sure.

So is calling someone out on a racist joke. Just saying - thats not what irony is.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
Actually it is called fundamentalist, not conservative.

But have at it.  Should we ban him for this abhorent use of a phrase that is so despicable to you?   ::)

No, we should ban him for his abhorrent use of the English language.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:52:59 PM by Victor McCormick »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
I agree with Sultan and others that this has been talked to death.

Its despicable and wrong what the Church and leaders within did. The fact that Wild, as a Jesuit leader, was doing the same is disappointing but not surprising.

I'm not suggesting anyone shut up, but if you truly have anything new to add to this I would be surprised.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »
thanks mac, for a voice of reason.  you other guys are pieces of work.  first of all, why do liberals hate being called liberals??  secondly, that statement, using the term "liberal secularist" is only political if you want it to be. will it make you feel any better if i told you i meant liberal as an adjective.  also, i didn't realize we were being graded on our english here.  you guys ever consider laxatives??  this topic really seemed to keep the bugs up your asses. you fellas seem to have separation anxiety.  you don't own this board. :o  you don't like something, let it go baby, pass some gas and turn the page.  you'll all feel much better

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »
thanks mac, for a voice of reason.  you other guys are pieces of work.  first of all, why do liberals hate being called liberals??  secondly, that statement, using the term "liberal secularist" is only political if you want it to be. will it make you feel any better if i told you i meant liberal as an adjective.  also, i didn't realize we were being graded on our english here.  you guys ever consider laxatives??  this topic really seemed to keep the bugs up your asses. you fellas seem to have separation anxiety.  you don't own this board. :o  you don't like something, let it go baby, pass some gas and turn the page.  you'll all feel much better

I don't mind being called a liberal. I generally am one on most issues (there definitely are some exceptions though).

But some people object to being labeled by people they don't even know, based on one or two opinions they post on a message board. "Liberal" or "conservative" are very black and white terms and most people's political views are really more nuanced and don't fit so neatly into one of these terms. So when you use them, you are denying them the ability to speak for themselves, you are instead forcing them into one of these catch-all categories. Most people on either side on the aisle don't take too kindly to that.

Second, your use of the word "liberal" is smug, dismissive, and condescending. You take anyone with an opposing view and simply dismiss it as that of a liberal. Therefore, their opinion must have no value.  Your use of the term creates an other which is then easily opposed. Its really useful for creating a logical strawman (i.e. "liberals are crazy commies because of x, y, and z", therefore their opinions on EVERYTHING must be treated as that of a crazy leftist). Its really not fair discourse. I personally don't care, but its not good for effective dialogue. Then again, I doubt that is what you really desire.

Finally, you continually antagonize people into political discussion, which is banned. You aren't Dennis Miller. Your little analogies aren't funny.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:07:07 PM by Victor McCormick »

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
I don't mind being called a liberal. I generally am one on most issues (there definitely are some exceptions though).

But some people object to being labeled by people they don't even know, based on one or two opinions they post on a message board. "Liberal" or "conservative" are very black and white terms and most people's political views are really more nuanced and don't fit so neatly into one of these terms. So when you use them, you are denying them the ability to speak for themselves, you are instead forcing them into one of these catch-all categories. Most people on either side on the aisle don't take too kindly to that.

Second, your use of the word "liberal" is smug, dismissive, and condescending. You take anyone with an opposing view and simply dismiss it as that of a liberal. Therefore, their opinion must have no value.  Your use of the term creates an other which is then easily opposed. Its really useful for creating a logical strawman (i.e. "liberals are crazy commies because of x, y, and z", therefore their opinions on EVERYTHING must be treated as that of a crazy leftist). Its really not fair discourse. I personally don't care, but its not good for effective dialogue. Then again, I doubt that is what you really desire.

Finally, you continually antagonize people into political discussion, which is banned. You aren't Dennis Miller. Your little analogies aren't funny.

yawn

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »

Well said.  Proven because all he could come up with was "yawn"

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »
yawn

Oh yeah?  Well, at least he knows enough to capitalize the first letter of the first word of each sentence, and he knows that the word "English" is capitalized when it refers to the name of a language.  So there!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 10:55:49 PM »
Huh, this thread took a wrong turn (don't ask me if it's a right or left turn) and ran into a padlock...