[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2012 Student Challenge  (Read 11301 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: 2012 Student Challenge
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
bdee29, post of the week.

You were joking right?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 08:32:41 AM »
Really, a lot of this could be prevented by just not referring to the students as "the best student section in the country" when there's 2 rows in the upper deck full.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »
I'm personally offended by this thread and other students will be too. As a student that made minimum wage last summer, I spent $100 of my hard earned money on basketball tickets. I sat outside for 5 hours in 15 degree weather before the wisco game. I went to 2/3 ncaa tournament games. I cheered my ass off for this team. That being said, Buzz should feel lucky about how much support he got with the way this year's team underachieved.

Look at the student section in the Syracuse game. major homecourt advantage. Notre Dame game was over break and there was a tremendous turn out. UCONN game was on a tuesday and had a great turnout. the mile walk to the BC isnt made any easier in the dead of wisconsin winter (maybe the alumnus/i that wrote this didnt take that into account on the 5 min walk from their warm mercedes to the arena) Not to mention, our arena is wayyy oversized for our undergrad population.

You gotta be fracking kidding me with this post. If you are personally offended by what was said prior to you post, you're a bitch.

You're whining about spending $100 on season tickets? Do you realize how much it's going to cost you to go to games after your graduate? You're pathetic if you think that is too much money, I'm sure you  spend more than that a weekend on Jaberbombs and chasing chubbies at Murphy's. The students are getting a cake deal for their ticket prices, especially when compared with other schools in the Top 20 in attendance.

5 hours outside for Wisconsin? Good, we're happy for you. We all did it, especially anyone who was enrolled in the Bradley Center era. You're not entitled to anything because you waited outside for a long period of time.

Now you say Buzz should be feeling lucky about his support the team got? frack you. You're student tickets should be revoked. You're a piece of crap that does not deserve to go to anymore games. This team underachieved? Serious? If you thought this team was competing for the Big East championship that's your problem for setting the bar too high.

The student section crowds in 03-04 & 04-05 were much better than the majority of this season. Those teams were much worse than the team playing on the court right now. Buzz shouldn't feel lucky about crap. You pompous frackface students need to get to the games and support the team. I don't blame Buzz for not reaching out to a student base of crapheads if they all act like you.

1/2 mile walk to the Bradley Center hasn't changed, so that doesn't help your cause. If it's that bad and you get too cold, take the shuttle, take the bus or ride a Limo to Wisconsin and Lovell. Marquette Basketball isn't and won't be tailored so it's the best convenience for you. Suck it up, pansy.

Is the BC bigger than logical for Marquette, yes. Has this mattered in the past, not really. It matters now because we have a crapty class of kids enrolled right now that can't support a Sweet 16 team.

The student sections holds 4,100. That's only 35% of the student population. I've always support contracting the student section to about 3,000 or 25% of the student population.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:28:56 PM by marqptm »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »
I sat outside for 5 hours in 15 degree weather before the wisco game.

You only waited 5 hours for the Wisconsin game?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »

Right?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
unnatural carnal knowledgein A right!

You gotta be fracking kidding me with this post. If you are personally offended by what was said prior to you post, you're a bitch.

You're whining about spending $100 on season tickets? Do you realize how much it's going to cost you to go to games after your graduate? You're pathetic if you think that is too much money, I'm sure you  spend more than that a weekend on Jaberbombs and chasing chubbies at Murphy's. The students are getting a cake deal for their ticket prices, especially when compared with other schools in the Top 20 in attendance.

5 hours outside for Wisconsin? Good, we're happy for you. We all did it, especially anyone who was enrolled in the Bradley Center era. You're not entitled to anything because you waited outside for a long period of time.

Now you say Buzz should be feeling lucky about his support the team got? frack you. You're student tickets should be revoked. You're a piece of crap that does not deserve to go to anymore games. This team underachieved? Serious? If you thought this team was competing for the Big East championship that's your problem for setting the bar too high.

The student section crowds in 03-04 & 04-05 were much better than the majority of this season. Those teams were much worse than the team playing on the court right now. Buzz shouldn't feel lucky about crap. You pompous frackface students need to get to the games and support the team. I don't blame Buzz for not reaching out to a student base of crapheads if they all act like you.

1/2 mile walk to the Bradley Center hasn't changed, so that doesn't help your cause. If it's that bad and you get too cold, take the shuttle, take the bus or ride a Limo to Wisconsin and Lovell. Marquette Basketball isn't and won't be tailored so it's the best convenience for you. Suck it up, pansy.

Is the BC bigger than logical for Marquette, yes. Has this mattered in the past, not really. It matters now because we have a crapty class of kids enrolled right now that can't support a Sweet 16 team.

The student sections holds 4,100. That's only 35% of the student population. I've always support contracting the student section to about 3,000 or 25% of the student population.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
I stated three weeks ago that our attendance, especially students, was a joke and was bashed for it. We need to get excitement level back and keep it there. To spend big money on a coach with the lethargic overall support is a joke. Hence my argument we have an identity crisis.

If we want to have a small student section Mike Deane would take the gig back for $800K. If we are going to spend prime time money we better find a way to create a buzz on campus. For years I have heard from students that alumni are dud and they are right. The whole crowd needs to be energized.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
To spend big money on a coach with the lethargic overall support is a joke. Hence my argument we have an identity crisis.

You hire a coach to win.  Not to get students to come to games.  That's the job of the marketing department.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 12:40:18 PM »
Titan---I understand it is marketing department. The whole image needs a revamp. If I were market dept. I would be using Buzz all day and night to create excitement. He is very easy to like...get him out and about.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 12:45:17 PM »
Titan---I understand it is marketing department. The whole image needs a revamp. If I were market dept. I would be using Buzz all day and night to create excitement. He is very easy to like...get him out and about.

I was not on campus for any of the Buzz year, but I will say Crean did a tremendous amount of work with the students. Crean's best poly was getting the team to do a lot of that marketing themselves.

I wonder if the JUCO population of the team has a harder time connecting and bringing the students in due to their time spent on campus? Just throwing crap on the wall here.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »
We do go to a UNIVERSITY for a reason. An unfilled student section on a weekend? inexcusable. But some majors more demanding than others, we have no choice but to study or do work and forfeit an occasional 3 hour plus time commitment including the walk.

While we don't walk to the games uphill both ways in a blizzard like the old alumni did, at least give credit to those who attend 90% of the games when clearly the smarter decision is to be studying for their tests the next morning when they can rationalize it. Personal limitations exist.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
We do go to a UNIVERSITY for a reason. An unfilled student section on a weekend? inexcusable. But some majors more demanding than others, we have no choice but to study or do work and forfeit an occasional 3 hour plus time commitment including the walk.

While we don't walk to the games uphill both ways in a blizzard like the old alumni did, at least give credit to those who attend 90% of the games when clearly the smarter decision is to be studying for their tests the next morning when they can rationalize it. Personal limitations exist.

Life is about balance. If you cannot figure 3, 6 or 9 hours a week into your schedule from November to March to attend basketball games:

1.) I feel sorry for you.
2.) you probably won't make it in the real world with those planning skills.
3.) don't bother buying season tickets.
4.) you need to find out what you are doing with your time.

Seriously though, you'll never have more free time than you have right now. If you can't fit Marquette Basketball in with the rest of your responsibilities, good luck.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
I'm personally offended by this thread and other students will be too. As a student that made minimum wage last summer, I spent $100 of my hard earned money on basketball tickets. I sat outside for 5 hours in 15 degree weather before the wisco game. I went to 2/3 ncaa tournament games. I cheered my ass off for this team. That being said, Buzz should feel lucky about how much support he got with the way this year's team underachieved.

If you are going to drop your sports resume, at least make it impressive.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

For a 1pm Saturday tip, like that usually is, that means this fan is there at 8am the same day. If anyone has pictures of games from '05-'09 of our OVERNIGHT waits (i.e. 12+ hours waiting) can we get those up to show these kids how it's done?? And anyone who is complaining about a game taking up study time, budget your time better for only half of the school year. It's not like the bball season is August through May. First semester games take 3 hours away from your day at most if you really are worried about the time issue. If I can make it through Marquette in 4 year while spending as much time as I did in and around the BC, it shouldn't be hard for the majority of this student body to do the same. Hell, bring a fricken' text book/study material with you while you're sitting in line if that's your only reason for not making it to the BC.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 01:04:16 PM »
Life is about balance. If you cannot figure 3, 6 or 9 hours a week into your schedule from November to March to attend basketball games:

1.) I feel sorry for you.
2.) you probably won't make it in the real world with those planning skills.
3.) don't bother buying season tickets.
4.) you need to find out what you are doing with your time.

Seriously though, you'll never have more free time than you have right now. If you can't fit Marquette Basketball in with the rest of your responsibilities, good luck.

I hope your criticisms of strangers makes you feel better.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:05:56 PM by ZaLiN »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
Any student not attending game due to homework, money or being too cold is soft. Come on guys...you are talking 15 nights out of a school year. We have seen students perform well in the past and believe they will again.

groove

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
ummm, maybe some students are busy getting their degrees or maybe they just don't care about basketball. I love MU basketball, went to tons of games when I went to school there, but I'm not going to rip students who don't go. Didn't know it was a requirement.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
I hope your criticisms of strangers makes you feel better.

it's not criticism...it's reality
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:17:05 PM by foreverwarriors »

groove

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
Any student not attending game due to homework, money or being too cold is soft. Come on guys...you are talking 15 nights out of a school year. We have seen students perform well in the past and believe they will again.

because basketball is important to you? what about women's volleyball, golf, soccer, track & field, you attend all of those games too? Maybe someone doesn't want to go to basketball games.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
Groove---Students bash alumni for sitting on their hands and I agree with that. To see the small student section actually is embarrassing to me. Are we DePaul or big time program?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »
ummm, maybe some students are busy getting their degrees or maybe they just don't care about basketball. I love MU basketball, went to tons of games when I went to school there, but I'm not going to rip students who don't go. Didn't know it was a requirement.

It is not a requirement to buy tickets, but if you are going to complain about showing up...buy a 5 game package!

DrDestiny911

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »
I'm probably going to get some riff for this but it needs to be stated. Marquette didn't do themselves an favors with scheduling and who they brought to the table game in and game out. There wasn't a quality opponent (Wisconsin excluded, although that was a lame game to watch) for a home game that was really accessible for students until we played Notre Dame and that was still during break (WVA on the 1st at 10am is not accessible).

Look its only fun to attend games where we beat the likes of Longwood by 30 for so long before people decide to pass on the cupcakes and watch it at a bar, buddys house or a party. And once routine is set up its a lot easier to just follow through on the routine. I know going to MU vs UConn is a once in a lifetime experience blah blah blah, you know what so is watching it with your college friends who you will never seen again after you graduate. I'd rather have gone in person but there's something to be said about being able to watch the game on a 40 inch Hi-Def with cheap cold beer than paying 8 bucks a beer and being forced to stand the whole time.

Additionally, 100 bucks really isn't that much so I think thats why students are so willing to skip out on certain games. I graduated in 2010 and I can honestly say in January the idea that 100$ was spent three months ago for tickets wasn't even there. Especially considering there are weekends when 100 bucks would have been dropped at the bars/drunk food/ who knows what else. I still went to almost all the games but there was also a lot bigger attraction in that 1) we were ranked and 2) we had the three headed dragon.

James, McNeal, and Matthews were a draw all by themselves, the other players weren't nearly as popular. The following year I still was drawn because Lazar was a bonafide stud on campus and everyone wanted to see how Buzz handled himself without the 3. Also all their close wins insured that every game was going to be a nail biter which encourages fans to attend every game so they don't miss anything.

This year that simply wasn't there. The biggest name on the team was JFB who was seen (at least by a lot of students) as a lesser Lazar. Next would either be DJO or Vander (simply because of his recruitment) and while all exciting to watch they weren't the big names we had grown accustom to. The close games didn't go our way this year and I think that loss to Louisville really demoralized the fan base because it set up a negative expectation of the team. That no matter how late we have a lead we can cough it up because we're susceptible to runs.

I don 't know how relavent this really is but this wasn't exactly the most personable team to the student body. Let's just say JFB isn't known as one of the nicest people to run across at Murphy's. Honestly that rings true for a couple of the guys on the team, a sense entitlement that sets them above the other students at Marquette. That's obviously not true for everyone but working on campus now and having a lot of friends who still go to MU that Vander and JFB have been kinda jackasses to people a couple times. Its kind of hard to quantify and is probably going to be dismissed immediately but the teams interaction with the rest of the student body matters. A team that is arrogant about themselves towards their classmates yet is a bubble team isn't going to draw fans.

There's the whole issue with the stadium but I think that just encourages a higher rated team. Marquette needs to do more to energize a student body that just 3 years ago was packing the house. Like I said I'll probably be cursed for this but its just my two cents.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:33:08 PM by DrDestiny911 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
Groove--Not to argue but...Do you think it is strange that 2300 or students have decided that basketball is no longer interesting over past two years? If students never attended your point is valid, however they have attended in masses in past decade.

I could not care less if kids wanted to attend other sports as well.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
because basketball is important to you? what about women's volleyball, golf, soccer, track & field, you attend all of those games too? Maybe someone doesn't want to go to basketball games.

I know that when I was attending school, going to the fall sports was a nice way to break away from studying for a few hours. Since I lived in Carpenter, I'd cross Henke courtyard most weekend afternoons the girls had a game (and I did the same if the men weren't playing but women's bball had a game). To me, that was just showing school spirit. Patti Rolf's vball teams were never going to set the world afire and apart from the NIT championship year, the women's bball team didn't do much when I was at school either, but it was always a nice break from studying and a way to show a little school spirit. And the vast majority of students who go to any other school sporting event are going to attend men's basketball games for that same reason.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »
DR--Your points are very valid, especially because you are a student. Maybe because I am older I do not care if JFB is a jag or not to attend the game. But I Ido understand the need for guys to bond with student body. Every class I ever took at MU had or more ballers in it so I get the connection. However, I am surprised if nothing else just a great excuse to get crazy.

feedback