Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler = Unbelievable 9-1 in last 10 NCAA games  (Read 10543 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Butler = Unbelievable 9-1 in last 10 NCAA games
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »

What a game by Butler. 2nd straight Final Four. Incredible achievement

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Butler = Unbelievable 9-1 in last 10 NCAA games
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
Its unreal what Brad Stevens does. Wow.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »
But but but they are an 8 seed and shouldn't be there. 

Agree, they play best when it matters.  They were pedestrian for a good bunch of this year.  Perhaps the Final Four hangover, but they have it going right now.  Classic example of why seed means squat, it's all about how good the team is not what your seed says.  Insert VCU in same comment.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »
So nice to see Mid Majors in the Final Four.  I feared a Final Four with the usual cast of characters (Kentucky, North Carolina, UConn, Arizona, Kansas, etc.).  Now a VCU win would be awesome.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »
It's unfortunate that Butler and VCU can't meet in the championship game. 
VCU's band was lots of fun at the United Center last weekend.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
My intent is not to turn this into a pissing match over Crean.

How strong are the vibes at IU Chicos to get rid of Crean right now for Stephens? Any degree of seriousness to them, or just message-board banter? Crean's got another 4 years and 9.2M on his contract IIRC? Assume that's a buyout IU could take care of if that's an issue?

For everybody, if not IU eventually for Stephens (i.e. Crean stays one more year and gets it turned around next year), is Stephens the guy who eventually replaces Coach K at Duke when he retires (oldest guy among the top 6 or 7 programs in the country, places like UCLA, UK, Duke, UNC, KU, IU, UL, etc). Or maybe the guy to replace Calipari at UK or Pitino at UL if the heat gets too hot at some point?
GO WARRIORS!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
The guy can flat out coach. It really is amazing watch his program and how they play with no fear of losing. Of all the "hot" young coaches we read about this is probably the guy to be around for a long time. I always get a kick out of how guys become hot commodities and often flame out. He might be the next Coach K.

If I were an IU fan, which thankfully I am not, I would be on every web site yelling to get rid of TC for Stephens. For the record I think TC is a very good coach but Stephens might end up being really special.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
Horizon League!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »

How strong are the vibes at IU Chicos to get rid of Crean right now for Stephens? Any degree of seriousness to them, or just message-board banter? Crean's got another 4 years and 9.2M on his contract IIRC? Assume that's a buyout IU could take care of if that's an issue?

For everybody, if not IU eventually for Stephens (i.e. Crean stays one more year and gets it turned around next year), is Stephens the guy who eventually replaces Coach K at Duke when he retires (oldest guy among the top 6 or 7 programs in the country, places like UCLA, UK, Duke, UNC, KU, IU, UL, etc). Or maybe the guy to replace Calipari at UK or Pitino at UL if the heat gets too hot at some point?

A few things.  It's Stevens.

Stevens is a Butler DePauw alum, not an IU alum.  Not that it matters, but he could have jumped ship last year to any number of schools and didn't.  His dad played football at IU so that is the "IU connection".  If Crean doesn't work out, obviously Stevens is right there.  Are they going to dump 7 years of contract with Crean considering all the players he has coming in the next 3 years?  I doubt it.

Butler is loosing a lot this year, including the heart and soul of their team.  What happens to them next year?  

EDIT:  Fixed his alma mater
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:50:49 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
BU has Mack, Nored and Smith back. That guy Hopkins that never plays looked pretty good today. People said that this season after they lost Gorden Hayward
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »
A few things.  It's Stevens.

Stevens is a Butler alum, not an IU alum.  Not that it matters, but he could have jumped ship last year to any number of schools and didn't.  His dad played football at IU so that is the "IU connection".  If Crean doesn't work out, obviously Stevens is right there.  Are they going to dump 7 years of contract with Crean considering all the players he has coming in the next 3 years?  I doubt it.

Butler is loosing a lot this year, including the heart and soul of their team.  What happens to them next year? 

Good post, only one correction. Stevens is a DePauw alum.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »
BU has Mack, Nored and Smith back. That guy Hopkins that never plays looked pretty good today. People said that this season after they lost Gorden Hayward

Yup, but who is there heart and soul?  Butler is still going to be very good, especially in that league.  The loss of Matt Howard is the heart and soul.

Any word on Jeter yet?  Staying or going?

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
I think Stevens is a Depauw alum.
"We have the blues on the run!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
Good post, only one correction. Stevens is a DePauw alum.

Thank you....my bad. Appreciate the correction.  Then he's sure to be IU's coach any day now.   :D

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
Stevens is a great game coach and this is probably the best 2-year run by a mid-major ever, but he hasn't done enough to prove to me he's the next great coach in college basketball. He took a handful of 3-stars that proved to be better than the scouting reports said. Will he be able to continue to unearth such gems? If he did jump ship, will he be able to translate his recruiting practices to the high-major level, where you're recruiting 4 and 5 star players with starry NBA eyes?

And if he's a Butler alum (apparently he's not ;) ), will he ever make the move to a bigger school? Can he realistically build a dynasty at a university with a total student base of under 5,000? Gonzaga built a lot of success, but they've never become a national power. After the current class leaves, will Butler's peak be about what Gonzaga's is, creeping into the 20-25 range while making the occasional Sweet 16?

If he does leave, how will he handle the pressure of a higher profile job. The idea of taking over for K at Cameron seems like an awfully daunting task. The guy has four years of coaching experience. And that's four years in a very, very, very small fishbowl. Getting the same results at Duke or Indiana when you're facing off against the UNCs, Wake Forests, Ohio States, and Michigan States of the world every night is a different game.

I like Stevens. I think he's done a great coach. But anyone putting him in the Hall of Fame based on two successful years has that cart waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in front of the horse.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »
Its not inconceivable...if he stays...that Butler will be the next Duke....especially if they can move to a new conference. Does their success help us if the Big East football schools leave?

Does anyone else think that Butler's campus has a similar look and feel to Duke's?

Stevens will break Coach K's record if he stays at Butler (30 wins a year will do that).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
Its not inconceivable...if he stays...that Butler will be the next Duke....especially if they can move to a new conference.

I can't see it. Duke has one of the most influential alumni bases in the nation and has a student population more than triple the size of Butler's. Duke also spends more money on their college basketball program than any other school in the nation. There's a very long road between two Final Fours and Duke-level success.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »
Yup, but who is there heart and soul?  Butler is still going to be very good, especially in that league.  The loss of Matt Howard is the heart and soul.

Any word on Jeter yet?  Staying or going?

Matt Howard is huge loss for Butler. They just seem to re-load.

Rob Jeter turned down the job at Bradley, to stay at UWM.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:22:35 PM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

Midget Bar

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
Butler is no Duke, they have a lot more class

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
Butler is no Duke, they have a lot more class

Spoken like someone who lives in the mid-Atlantic region...

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
Spoken like someone who lives in the mid-Atlantic region...

Nope. Spoken like someone who has had significant contact with Duke alums.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »
Butler doesn't have the national alumni base of Duke, but they have a huge base of wealthy alumni...and since they don't have scholarship football, they throw a ton of money at the basketball program.  Yes Howard is gone next year, but they have had a couple of fantastic recruiting years.

That being said, the issue regarding their conference I think is one they need to deal with.  They are trying to get into the A10, but there just is no room at this point.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »
Crean's sphincter must be tightening up with every post season Butler win. Hope they win the national title. That said, Stephens has probably earned the right to chose any college job he wants.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »

I was talking to a badger friend today. We, after consoling each other for the offensive ineptitude we both displayed in the Sweet 16, talked about Buzz and Crean.  He made a comment that I tend to agree.  When Crean left MU, he felt it would be easier to recruit in Indy.  I don't think he factored in Butler and Stevens in that thought process.  The only Indianapolis based D1 school, Stevens could really parlay this into a lifetime job at Butler and not just make a name for himself at Butler, but nationally.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »
I have it on very good authority that Crean has a "leash" of 2 more years before hard decisions start being made.
We Are Marquette