2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pile on Bucky!  (Read 13345 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Pile on Bucky!
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »
Not being a Wisconsin resident, I don't particularly dislike UW except the one day a year they play Marquette.  Bo's built an excellent program there and any UW fan that doesn't appreciate him will never be happy and probably should switch their allegiance to UNC or Kansas or something.  His teams remind me of Gene Keady's at Purdue, in that he gets every ounce he can out of his squad all year and thus they get a (well-earned) higher seed than their talent might dictate.  Eventually that will come back to get you.

But take nothing away from that guy or that program.  They are easily one of the top 20 programs in the nation during Bo's tenure and who would have thought that was ever possible?  I think it would be great to be a UW fan, except for that whole having to watch them play thing.

Agree, it saddens me when my fellow MU alum partake in Schadenfreude.

leever

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
I hate losing to UW!  I hate UW's style!  I hate Big 10/11/12 basketball in general!

But, in virtually every measurable way they have been better than us for the last 10 years.  Chico's is right on this one.

Can we still hate them but respect the results?  I would be happy as hell is we had 14 tournament wins over the same period.

Now, let's win tonight!  GO MARQUETTE.  Bucky is evil and has been destroyed.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
Good Lord Chicos.   I know you are a Marquette fan, but the lengths you go to play the Devil's Advocate are mind boggling.

You always say look at the matchups.  Becky has flatout underperformed in the tournament.  They have been a higher seed and blown it.  The only year they made it to the Elite 8, their path was cleared for them with high seeds being upset. (They beat 11,14 and 10)  One year they were a 2 seed and got destroyed by UNLV (not even making Sweet 16).  

I know your having a tough time, Buzz doing well and all, but support your Warriors.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »
+1

I also think Bo is a solid coach, he did a great job with the World Team a few summers back which Lazar was on.  He was able to create a system that best for that team.  At the end of the tournament Lazar was a Bo fan too.  I really only dislike Wisconsin one day a year, when they play Marquette.

I dislike the Wisconsin fans more then their team, as they are so damn obnoxious and condescending.

You think the badger fans are obnoxious?  Have you ever heard of a school called Ohio State?

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
You think the badger fans are obnoxious?  Have you ever heard of a school called Ohio State?

No, no, no, it's the Ohio State University - like there's more then one.  And yes, my vet's a double tOSU alum (double douche too - but a great vet) - but MU doesn't play tOSU every year so I don't bump into many of their fans at all.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »
I really don't understand the hate towards UW. Call me stupid but they're not in the same conference as us and they give us a college football team to cheer for. I get hating them when we play them but otherwise hating on them just seems silly. Wisconsin has two premiere D-I schools in UW-Madison and Marquette and I don't really see the need to hate on both. I'm an MU grad of 2010 and maybe its just the "younger generation" doesn't understand or whatnot but if they really were a crap team for 54 years I'm not seeing the rivalry.

I was at a bar rooting for Madison last night and I thought it sucked when they lost but I guess I'm in the minority here. Maybe its because I was born in Wisconsin and a lot of MU grads weren't and that would probably explain why Madison doesn't hate us nearly as much because they have no reason to.

I always thought the MU fans that hated UW the most were the ones that were from WI, but everyone is different and their opinion of UW is based on their personal experiences.  Most of the UW hate comes from a complete lack of respect from most UW fans toward MU.  I don't know what bar you were at last night, but I bet if you go back tonight wearing your MU gear loudly cheering for Marquette you'll get a bunch of smart-ass comments from UW fans.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 09:36:09 AM »
No, no, no, it's the Ohio State University - like there's more then one.  And yes, my vet's a double tOSU alum (double douche too - but a great vet) - but MU doesn't play tOSU every year so I don't bump into many of their fans at all.

And here I am, living in Ohio for the last 20 years.  I bump into a few...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »
Totally agree. Successful, even classy, program that's excruciating to watch play. Whether it wins or loses, except against MU, carries no special significance to me.

UW has been very successful under Bo, and mostly classy (not sure his handling of Boo Wade fits my definition of classy, but that's just me). I have no animosity toward him or any of his players.
A good-sized portion of the UW faithful, on the other hand, are a truly insufferable lot. Whether it's spitting on opposing players, throwing things at opposing fans at football games, their wholly undeserved feeling of superiority or their general condescension toward other schools and programs (remember, they don't lose out on a recruit ... Bo cooled on him, or the kid couldn't hack it academically, or the kid's parents are trouble, or another program did something shady), they're least likable group I've encountered. And I've attended LSU football games at Death Valley, so that's saying something.

Of course, I'm sure they could make similar complaints about us, but we all know they'd be completely wrong.  ;)

So yeah, I root against UW and a loss like last night's warms my heart. Not so much because I enjoy Badger fans' misery, but because I enjoy anything that strips them a bit of their misguided hubris.
If that kind of schadenfreude makes me a bad person, I can live with that.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »
And here I am, living in Ohio for the last 20 years.  I bump into a few...

Come to Chicago and you'll bump into a few too...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »
The seed thing against UW is overplayed.

Everyone in the tournament is a good team, and you have to play well to advance.

I am as happy as anyone to see UW go down, but all that matters is winning, not what the seed of the other team was.

Bo Ryan is not a good tournament coach, if the fanbase actually cared they would get sick of all of the exits to teams with worse seeds, he has only beaten a single digit seed twice, both 5, and in 2005 when they made the elite 8 they did not play a single digit seed, i don't think that has ever happened before or since. The system does not work, losses to Davidson, Cornell, Xavier, Butler, and UNLV show that

J-

There's a button that says "Quote" in the top right corner of every post.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
I always thought the MU fans that hated UW the most were the ones that were from WI, but everyone is different and their opinion of UW is based on their personal experiences.  Most of the UW hate comes from a complete lack of respect from most UW fans toward MU.  I don't know what bar you were at last night, but I bet if you go back tonight wearing your MU gear loudly cheering for Marquette you'll get a bunch of smart-ass comments from UW fans.

I agree, which is why I pile on Bucky. First, I don't need a college football team to root for. College football is just what some other universities spend their time on during the off-season. I don't care about the sport at the college or pro level, it's too slow-paced and dull for me. Second, I live in Milwaukee and can't stand the number of pseudo-Badger fans that claim UW as their own and hate Marquette even though the closest they ever got to attending Madison was a UW-system school. Third, the only way I can ever cheer for my rival is if it benefits my team. I cheer for Big East teams in the tourney because conference success provides more revenue into the pot for Marquette and has a trickle down effect. There's no such benefit from cheering for Becky in March.

I can understand a lot of the non-Wisconsin natives not really caring one way or the other. But living almost all my life in Wisconsin, Milwaukee nonetheless, it's a bit irritating to have so many Badger fans that give Marquette crap for no reason. It drives me nuts that we are far more local but the fanbase in Milwaukee seems to dwarf ours. If I lived outside the state, I doubt I'd hate Wisconsin as much, but living in Milwaukee, they are one of the least likable fanbases I've ever been around. And if Buzz can achieve the success we all hope, you'll see just as much hate coming out of Madison as you do headed in that direction now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »
3 of those losses to 1 seeds

It's also when you lose to them  Butler is an 8 seed and on the verge of going to the Final Four back to back years...so are they truly an 8 seed or just a dynamite tournament team that plays well above their seeding?

14 NCAA wins in the last 10 years....where do I sign up for that?  It's been 4 decades since we did something like that.

One thing that hasn't been brought up is that not only does Wisconsin tend to get taken out by "middling" teams, they tend to get blown out by them. Results for the last 6 years: 2011 - lose to 8th seeded Butler by 7 in a game that the Bulldogs had to choke repeatedly down the stretch to keep even a little close. UW was never within 4 for virtually the entire game. 2010 - routed by 12th seeded Cornell by 18. 2009 - score 49 points, beaten handily by 4th seeded Xavier by 11. 2008 - scorched by 10 seeded Davidson by 17. 2007 - lose to 7th seeded UNLV by 7 in a game not in doubt down the stretch. 2006 - crushed by 19 by 8th seeded Arizona in a game not competitive from the very start.

So on average in the last 6 year Bucky has been taken down by a team seeded 8.16 by 13.16 points. For a supposedly near elite program to be that non competitive in losing to middling seeded competition is mind boggling. If the numbers were skewed by one big loss (ie, MU vs KU in 2003) it wouldn't be quite as bad - but it's basically one beatdown after another. And please don't go with the "bad matchup" excuse. They've been waxed by fast teams and slow team, big and little teams, traditional and non traditional teams. Bottom line is they've had embarrassing exits from the tourney for 6 straight years.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:02:39 AM by Lennys Tap »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »

I was at a bar rooting for Madison last night and I thought it sucked when they lost but I guess I'm in the minority here. Maybe its because I was born in Wisconsin and a lot of MU grads weren't and that would probably explain why Madison doesn't hate us nearly as much because they have no reason to.

The being at the bar part is a given.  I would of had to have been 8 beers deep to enjoy that game.

I want to interject again...THAT WAS ONE OF THE WORST BASKETBALL GAMES I HAVE EVER WATCHED.    This is why Wisconsin has a bad rep and/or don't get respect.  People don't want to see them.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
One thing that hasn't been brought up is that not only does Wisconsin tend to get taken out by "middling" teams, they tend to get blown out by them. Results for the last 6 years: 2011 - lose to 8th seeded Butler by 7 in a game that the Bulldogs had to choke repeatedly down the stretch to keep even a little close. UW was never within 4 for virtually the entire game. 2010 - routed by 12th seeded Cornell by 18. 2009 - score 49 points, beaten handily by 4th seeded Xavier by 11. 2008 - scorched by 10 seeded Davidson by 17. 2007 - lose to 7th seeded UNLV by 7 in a game not in doubt down the stretch. 2006 - crushed by 19 by 8th seeded Arizona in a game not competitive from the very start.

So on average in the last 6 year Bucky has been taken down by a team seeded 8.16 by 13.16 points. For a supposedly near elite program to be that non competitive in losing to middling seeded competition is mind boggling. If the numbers were skewed by one big loss (ie, MU vs KU in 2003) it wouldn't be quite as bad. And please don't go with the "bad matchup" excuse. They've been waxed by fast teams and slow team, big and little teams, traditional and non traditional teams. Bottom line is they've had embarrassing exits from the tourney for 6 straight years.

How dare you try to question the achievements of Bo Ryan and the Wisconsin Badgers?  Do you not know that the Big 10 is claerly the best basketball league, and that MU can only HOPE to rival the achievements of Bo and the Big 10?  It makes not difference if you have a 10-year sample size to see that Bo's Badgers cannot advance in the NCAA when playing Top 5 seeds..and also have a history of getting bounced by large margins by double digit seeds.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »
The being at the bar part is a given.  I would of had to have been 8 beers deep to enjoy that game.

I want to interject again...THAT WAS ONE OF THE WORST BASKETBALL GAMES I HAVE EVER WATCHED.    This is why Wisconsin has a bad rep and/or don't get respect.  People don't want to see them.

I'm sure a bunch of people will interject on this too, but if you're gonna talk about how bad Wisc/Butler was, you definitely didn't watch Wisc/Penn St. in the Big 10 Tourney.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »
I'm sure a bunch of people will interject on this too, but if you're gonna talk about how bad Wisc/Butler was, you definitely didn't watch Wisc/Penn St. in the Big 10 Tourney.

I saw the halftime score and decided not to subject myself to that game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »
Good Lord Chicos.   I know you are a Marquette fan, but the lengths you go to play the Devil's Advocate are mind boggling.

You always say look at the matchups.  Becky has flatout underperformed in the tournament.  They have been a higher seed and blown it.  The only year they made it to the Elite 8, their path was cleared for them with high seeds being upset. (They beat 11,14 and 10)  One year they were a 2 seed and got destroyed by UNLV (not even making Sweet 16).  

I know your having a tough time, Buzz doing well and all, but support your Warriors.

I do support my Warriors...what on earth does that have to do with pulling emotion out of analyzing what Wisconsin has done?  Nothing.  Would I take their tournament "failures" as you like to call them...in a #^$*# heartbeat.  13 straight appearances, 14 wins, multiple Sweet 16's, etc, etc...sign me up for that right now. 

In my opinion Wisconsin and Pittsburgh are a lot alike.  They have great coaches that coach up their talent to the point they play better than their talent dictates they should be.  Eventually they pay a price for it.

But rest assured, I'm very happy Wisconsin lost and very happy MU is still in the tournament...I don't know how you can think otherwise unless your head isn't on straight.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »

So on average in the last 6 year Bucky has been taken down by a team seeded 8.16 by 13.16 points. For a supposedly near elite program to be that non competitive in losing to middling seeded competition is mind boggling. If the numbers were skewed by one big loss (ie, MU vs KU in 2003) it wouldn't be quite as bad - but it's basically one beatdown after another. And please don't go with the "bad matchup" excuse. They've been waxed by fast teams and slow team, big and little teams, traditional and non traditional teams. Bottom line is they've had embarrassing exits from the tourney for 6 straight years.

I hope we can achieve those "terrible results"....let me know when we do...consistently....not just one year. 

I love how it's an "embarrassing exit" from the tournament to lose to Sweet 16 and Elite 8 teams, but when we lose to teams that get that far or not even that far, it's ok...because we weren't seeded as high.  LOL.

At some point soon I hope we can achieve the same type of regular season results they have so we get those higher seeds and maybe we'll just blow through the lower seeds like Wisconsin also does but eventually loses to one.  Problem is, we haven't had a seed better than 5 in the last 25 years except two times.  One year we lost in the second round under Deane and the other year we made the Final Four under Crean.  So how about we have the boys get one of those top 4 seeds and we can all hope you are right that we just steam roll through everyone.  Until then, we don't have much of a leg to stand on to criticize what Wisconsin is doing in the tournament since they EARN their top 4 seeds and have a LOT more NCAA wins than we do in the last decade...not even close.

At any rate, glad Becky is out of the tournament.  I wish On Wisconsin would come by to have his ass handed to him, but I suspect he won't. 

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »
Second, I live in Milwaukee and can't stand the number of pseudo-Badger fans that claim UW as their own and hate Marquette even though the closest they ever got to attending Madison was a UW-system school.

+1,000,000,000

This is without question what irritates me the most about Badger fans.  I have no problems with the fans that actually attended Madison...they have every right to cheer for their school as I do for MU.  It's all the other wannabes that somehow find a way to associate themselves with Madison.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
This:

Second, I live in Milwaukee and can't stand the number of pseudo-Badger fans that claim UW as their own and hate Marquette even though the closest they ever got to attending Madison was a UW-system school.

+ This:

How dare you try to question the achievements of Bo Ryan and the Wisconsin Badgers?  Do you not know that the Big 10 is clearly the best basketball league, and that MU can only HOPE to rival the achievements of Bo and the Big 10?  It makes no difference if you have a 10-year sample size to see that Bo's Badgers cannot advance in the NCAA when playing Top 5 seeds..and also have a history of getting bounced by large margins by double digit seeds.

+ all UW fan's feelings that Marquette is inferior and the $hit I get from them for supporting MU is why I dislike the Badgers

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
How dare you try to question the achievements of Bo Ryan and the Wisconsin Badgers?  Do you not know that the Big 10 is claerly the best basketball league, and that MU can only HOPE to rival the achievements of Bo and the Big 10?  It makes not difference if you have a 10-year sample size to see that Bo's Badgers cannot advance in the NCAA when playing Top 5 seeds..and also have a history of getting bounced by large margins by double digit seeds.

Insert statistic about number of wins in the Bo Ryan era.

Its similar to their gripes about people ripping on them for playing slow, not scoring points, etc...  They bring on piles of statistics to prove these pundits wrong, but if you watched them against OSU or Penn State (shudder) to end the season, much less the Butler game, its not hard to see how these opinions are formed.

Yes, kudos for making another Sweet 16. That is to be commended, no doubt.  But bragging about being the 4 in the "weakest" region and then having the #1 be knocked out, and still going home early than expected is underachieving.

Also, for all this talk of losing to higher seeded teams, except for Xavier in what was an abnormal year seeding wise for UW, they haven't been knocked out by a higher seeded team since the Elite Eight run of 08.  You wanna talk about trends...

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »
I do support my Warriors...what on earth does that have to do with pulling emotion out of analyzing what Wisconsin has done?  Nothing.  Would I take their tournament "failures" as you like to call them...in a #^$*# heartbeat.  13 straight appearances, 14 wins, multiple Sweet 16's, etc, etc...sign me up for that right now. 

In my opinion Wisconsin and Pittsburgh are a lot alike.  They have great coaches that coach up their talent to the point they play better than their talent dictates they should be.  Eventually they pay a price for it.

But rest assured, I'm very happy Wisconsin lost and very happy MU is still in the tournament...I don't know how you can think otherwise unless your head isn't on straight.
You keep changing the topic.  I am arguing that Becky underperforms.  You think they should be happy getting to the tournament.  Where are the high expectations.  If Buzz had BoBo's NCAA record, you would hang him as high as possible.

If you admit Becky has underperformed, I will acknowledge how wonderful 14 straight tournament appearances is.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
I still have a lot of respect for Bo Ryan and how he's formed a successful system.  He's a great defensive coach but at some point fans want to be entertained as well.   Bo Ryan is Dick Bennett 2.0 essentially....without the Final 4.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »
I have a theory that the more fans you meet of a team the more you hate them. Assuming:
you root for a competing team.
your team is not decidedly better than the other.  

According to this, it would be natural for us to hate them more.... And I do.

If someone said that he could guarantee the exact same level of success over the next 12 years at MU that WI had the last 12, I'd think about it for awhile and then say 'no deal'.

They have been consistently 'good'.  AMAZINGLY consistently 'good'.  It would be crazy not to say that.  But it seems like every year they are crossing their fingers, hoping the new class will make them 'very good'.  MU has a chance to be great, and I'm ready to roll the dice.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:51:16 PM by RawdogDX »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
I have a theory that the more fans you meet of a team the more you hate them. Assuming:
you root for a competing team.
your team is not decidedly better than the other.  

According to this, it would be natural for us to hate them more.... And I do.

If someone said that he could guarantee the exact same level of success over the next 12 years at MU that WI had the last 12, I'd think about it for awhile and then say 'no deal'.

They have been consistently 'good'.  AMAZINGLY consistently 'good'.  It would be crazy not to say that.  But it seems like every year they are crossing their fingers, hoping the new class will make them 'very good'.  MU has a chance to be great, and I'm ready to roll the dice.

Agree on all counts.

feedback