Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Rosiak Article  (Read 12762 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
New Rosiak Article
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/118630674.html

Most relevant text below.

Undoubtedly schools will try to make a run at him - if they haven't already through back channels, as is now the norm in the business. MU athletic director Steve Cottingham said Thursday none had called him to officially ask permission to speak to Williams.

Williams' contract with MU is a six-year rollover that's paying him $1.6 million this season. That figure will jump to more than $1.7 million later this year. A school such as Oklahoma or Tennessee could take Williams' annual salary over $2 million.

What could make Williams cost prohibitive, though, is a huge buyout. Worth $3.8 million in total, it's believed to be one of the biggest in college basketball. It's a built-in safeguard in the contract to protect MU from just these types of scenarios.

Cottingham said he's kept an open dialogue with Williams over the course of the season with regard to his deal as well as what he believes he needs to field a successful program at MU, and that more discussions will take place after the season.

"That doesn't have anything to do with what other people might recognize in him," Cottingham said. "We're doing that all the time. That's been our commitment to him since the day we hired him. We're going to do the right thing and treat him the right way, just as he's done the right thing and treated us the right way."

When asked if he believed Williams would remain as MU's coach, Cottingham was definitive in his response.

"Very much so," he said. "People should take him at his word."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: New Rosiak Article
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »
Nice.  Sounds like Buzz is in full agreement with the high buyout, and not trying to fight it.

That, said, a school could still pay all the money to get him, but it doesn't sound like SC has any reason to believe Buzz isn't happy.  Plus, the rumored $2.2M (only an extra $500k next year), doesn't sound worth the headache of OU.

Of course, I'd gladly take 500k, but as opposed to Buzz, that's a multiple of my salary, instead of a fraction of it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
$3.8 mil buyout is pimp by Cottingham.

We may get burned again but we'll be getting paid this time, that's for darn sure.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
A couple more things I read from the article -

"I think the test every day is, 'Can you stay the same? Can you remove your ego from this and no matter what the media says and no matter what the money is or no matter what the title is, can you do right?' "

Well, if we take Buzz at his word, that means a lot.

Cottingham said he's kept an open dialogue with Williams over the course of the season with regard to his deal as well as what he believes he needs to field a successful program at MU, and that more discussions will take place after the season.

Again, if we know anything about what happened at UNO, it's that Buzz didn't believe they were willing to do what was needed to "field a successful program".  Whether these meetings are instigated by Buzz or Cottingham, it's a good sign they're having them.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »
The job right now is to concentrate on the next game and let the money decisions come afterward. All this is just a diversion Buzz and the team do not need right now

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:21:59 AM »
The job right now is to concentrate on the next game and let the money decisions come afterward. All this is just a diversion Buzz and the team do not need right now

Agreed that it's a diversion that we as FANS don't need right now, however, I'm confident that the team and Buzz know a lot more than us, and are focused appropriately.

(for the record, I've largely stayed out of the Buzz conversations, and when joining them have said he's staying...)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:22:48 AM »
$3.8 mil buyout is pimp by Cottingham.

We may get burned again but we'll be getting paid this time, that's for darn sure.

True, but it's also because of who Buzz was and his limited experience (and he didn't have an agent).  The more prominent a coach, the lower the buyout is going to be, especially with an agent worth his salt.

If Buzz stays, that buyout is almost certain to go down...Buzz would be silly to have it remain that high because it kills a lot of flexibility for him down the road.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
True, but it's also because of who Buzz was and his limited experience (and he didn't have an agent).  The more prominent a coach, the lower the buyout is going to be, especially with an agent worth his salt.

If Buzz stays, that buyout is almost certain to go down...Buzz would be silly to have it remain that high because it kills a lot of flexibility for him down the road.

I'm a little skeptical of your reasoning on the buyout.

I find it hard to believe that Buzz doesn't know exactly how significant the buyout terms were in his contract, especially given the legal wrangling needed to extricate himself from UNO.

I'm not saying this is the case, but I believe an equally viable possibility is that Buzz knows that MU is where he wants to be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »
I think Buzz was willing to accept pretty much anything to be the coach at MU.  I think if Buzz were smart, he'd hire an agent. 

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
I think Buzz was willing to accept pretty much anything to be the coach at MU.  I think if Buzz were smart, he'd hire an agent. 

At that time, I doubt he was really thinking of an exit strategy.  Easier to sign that high of a buyout number when you can't envision leaving.  Thus, I agree, that is one purpose of the agent.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »

It's still a two way street, because MU would have owed Buzz the buy-out assuming he was fired before the end of his contract.  Buzz simply traded off some flexibility for some security.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »

Williams' contract with MU is a six-year rollover that's paying him $1.6 million this season. That figure will jump to more than $1.7 million later this year. A school such as Oklahoma or Tennessee could take Williams' annual salary over $2 million.

If Oklahoma and Tennessee can take it up beyond $2 million, MU will have no problem matching or exceeding in my opinion based on prior history. 
The General has taken on a new command.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 07:54:23 AM »
If Oklahoma and Tennessee can take it up beyond $2 million, MU will have no problem matching or exceeding in my opinion based on prior history. 

I agree, he won't leave for money.  crean said as much when he left as well.  If Buzz left, it would be for other reasons beyond the money.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
Does Buzz need an agent? He just might be smarter than anyone realizes. Agents cost money. He is keeping his mouth shut as other teams drive up his value knowing MU will match it. He will get a 50% raise out of this without an agent to stay where he is at, when he has no intention of going anywhere.
Buzz is playing the game perfectly.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »
Well Buzz has got someone doing work for him or relaying information for him cause the first person to break the 3.8 figure that I know of was the Arkansas sports editor who had an Oklahoma source.   So somebody is talking to Oklahoma on Buzz's behalf.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
Heck, I'd be willing to give Buzz a free "out" in his next contract if Texas opens up, but keep a higher then normal buyout ($2mill +) for all others.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »
Does Buzz need an agent? He just might be smarter than anyone realizes. Agents cost money. He is keeping his mouth shut as other teams drive up his value knowing MU will match it. He will get a 50% raise out of this without an agent to stay where he is at, when he has no intention of going anywhere.

50% ???  That sounds kinda high.  If it is true though, it would certainly keep OU from getting him.  Between the buyout and that salary that's too much for a football school to pay.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 08:31:24 AM »
Nice article by Todd.

Sounds like Buzz is staying.

Tonight is going to be fun, and if everything goes right, next season could be great.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »

+1

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »

+1 - Buzz has said he doesn't see any reason to pay an agent their 3-5% cut, because that 3-5% just takes away from Bubba's college fund..Bubba being his son.  Obviously at this point, Buzz's kids should be just fine with regard to college funds...but I like the common sense approach Buzz takes to his business dealings and NOT hiring an agent.  As Buzz has said many times:  You get what you earn. 

I really can't understand why anyone would implore Buzz to get an agent or think he needs one.  Buzz is extremely sharp..and quite capable..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »

+1. Also doesn't mean he doesn't have a lawyer either. Or that agents aren't circling trying to create a market value on a hot potential client they could pick up. Or to drive up the market for their Plan B client (if they are willing to pay a young Buzz $2.5mm, they can pay XX that). Now Cot is trying to publically deflate the spin via Rosiak. Good gamesmanship playing on the S16 fan and media fervor.

Buzz has also said that these agents are calling him all the time and he knows them. In the OU scenario, know that Corey is from OKC. MU has the money and program side covered. Rosie's article should give MU fans comfort.  Enjoy the game as Buzz will do what is it right for himself and his family--and MU will be a part of that decision vs. previous.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »

+ 1

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 09:24:58 AM »
  I think if Buzz were smart, he'd hire an agent. 

I think Buzz is smart.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
I really can't understand why anyone would implore Buzz to get an agent or think he needs one.  Buzz is extremely sharp..and quite capable..

Because of the high buy-out.  Takes away a huge bargaining chip.

And I am not imploring him to get an agent.  I rather he not get one.  But if I were him I would.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
+ 1

Why do you think if Buzz were smart, he'd hire an agent?  Please elaborate.  Do you not think Buzz will be compensated in the Top 10-15 coaches after this season?  Why give away roughly $100,000 per year to an "agent?"

Even if Buzz has a $3.8M buyout...do we really think that is going to prevent a team from landing Buzz if Buzz is willing to go to an OU?  Essentially, Buzz is giving MU a $3.8M going away present/donation if he leaves.  Pretty sure the deep pocketed alums of an OU, OSU, Arkansas, Texas or any other school will be glad to pay a $3.8M buyout if they can land Buzz.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013