'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Perspectives  (Read 1251 times)

tower912

• All American
Perspectives
« on: March 17, 2007, 11:12:37 AM »
Over the last few weeks, this and other boards have had threads about the potential of TC going to UK.   The Marquette nation has been full of snarky comments about how completely insane those Kentucky fans are to want to be rid of Tubby.  How can they possibly want to get rid of Tubby, he has won a national championship?   Yet all over the UK boards, there are the wingnuts ranting about how Tubby can't recruit, how they are settling for second rate talent, how he is a terrible game coach who gets outcoached all of the time, how a school of their caliber needs a real coach to return them to the level they deserve.   They want a coach to get them back to the elite level, in their minds, a coach like Tom Crean.
    Ahhhhh, irony.   It all seems familiar somehow.   When I go hover on the dodd's board (I can mention that here, right?), and see refugees from the jsoline board (3ff's) screaming for TC to get fired, as well as the rightfully frustrated denizens of this board, it makes me chuckle.  Fans of 250 D1 schools are going to be out there either calling for their coach's dismissal or being fearful it will come to pass, or, in some cases, both.
   Someone should create a form for all of the screamer's out there.   Just fill in the blanks with the proper details.    (fill in the blank)  needs to be (fired, shot, drawn and quartered).  He can't (chose one or more of the following:coach, recruit guards, recruit bigs, handle the pressure of big games)   We need to bring in (drop down screen naming every D1, D2, D3 head coach, assistant, or unsatisfied NBA assistant who once mentioned your school in an interview).   That's the guy to take us to the next level where we ought to be, so we can better compete with (rival's name here).   Anybody who actually thinks that we should keep our coach is ( choose one or more of the following:insane, optimistic, blind, an ass-kisser, knows nothing about basketball)
     Create this boilerplate, send it to the boards of every team that fails to go farther than expected.   Patent it and make hundreds.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Perspectives
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 05:58:32 PM »
I'm having trouble.  Could you direct me to a message on MUScoop demanding/suggesting Crean be fired now?

ilovefreeway

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:53:58 PM »
thatman32
Walk-On

Re: The Time Has Come...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:17 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we could easily get another coach that can recruit and teach for a lot less

Irish Assassin
Walk-On

I want more...
« on: Today at 12:56:00 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
out of control shoot first point guards

bowing out early in conference tournaments

losing to inferior post season teams

getting blown out of ncaa tourney games

letting solid interior players leaving milwaukee

brothers of former mu players leaving milwaukee

of clueless in game adjustments

not winning a conference tourney or ncaa tournament game without dwyane wade

recruited big men who have the offensive skills of down syndrome children

fire tom crean

MUDish
Scholarship Player

Time For Crean to Move Upstairs
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:09:32 PM » Quote 

I like Tom Crean and everything he has done for MU. His passion and love for the school and the basketball program are unparalleled. His accomplishments stand only second to Al in what he has meant for this program.

It's a tad radical, but I think Crean should become the MU AD. He's by no stretch a terrible basketball coach, and MU could do FAR WORSE than him obviously. That said, his team's lack of preparation (sans Wade) in the post season is alarming.

-Tulsa
-Holy Cross (anyone that watched this game knows MU should have lost, and only won in the final minutes based on being overly talented against HC)
-Alabama
-Michigan State
-TCU
-TCU
-Georgetown
-UAB
-Western Michigan

Where there's smoke, there's fire. The common element of most of these games is MU lacking any type of offensive mindset at all. It's VERY alarming that a team with SO MANY offensive sets can be so utterly lacking on the offensive end in these games. To be honest, I wasn't shocked at all tonight when we were down 14-0. It was similar to watching any of those games above.

These are 7 postseason games over the last 5 years, and while no coach can or should be expected to be perfect, the way in which Marquette lost these games is an obvious trend, and the man at the helm must be held responsible.

Who should come in and coach? I don't have a good answer. The quality of play combined with the assistants leaving and the players transferring doesn't seem like a great sign to me.

Again though, what Crean has brought to Marquette will not and should never be dismissed. I'm only 28 years old, and I'm a bigger fan of MU today than I've ever been thanks to Crean. For him to leave MU would be a huge blow. I know the odds are slim to none, and his competitive nature would probably never allow him to be coaching, but I for one think a move up to AD would be best both for the program and the athletic department.

AlienWarrior
Walk-On

No crean in my coffee today and UK comparison
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:39:18 AM » Quote 

But I'll take Ralph Willard . I kinda feel like a Kentucky fan . Are we stuck with this guy Tubby/Tommy for the remainder of his contract ? I think it's time for a tough New York type of guy to take control ala 40 years ago............
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 07:01:01 PM by ilovefreeway »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:17:23 PM »
I'll count that as one.  "we could easily get another coach that can recruit and teach for a lot less" does not equate to "fire Tom Crean".  It's a truism.  They 'could' hire Murff, who 'could' recruit and teach for a lot less.  Not bloodly likely, but it's within the universe.

The second one, you got me.  Mr. Irish Assassin, has asked for TC to be fired.  Let's focus on his words and debate them ad infinitum, since it's quite obvious his 3 posts indicate he's a tought leader, and wonderful representative of the masses. Hmm.  Maybe not.

My point is, stop the madness.  Can you find a dozen people on the internet who want TC fired right now?  Sure.  You could find a dozen people on the internet who think Rosie O'Donnell is hot, too. 

ilovefreeway

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:10:30 PM »
I only looked at three threads and pulled out the first close post I saw.  I then decided to go play with my kids and have a life. :P

feedback