[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: beating zone defense  (Read 3957 times)

maxpower773

• Starter
beating zone defense
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
After just two games, and seeing we don't have a 3 point threat...yet. What is the best way to beat a zone defense?  I really don't know much about x's and o's, so I was wondering if those that did could answer my question.  It'd be nice to watch a game to see how they've improved upon this aspect, and to be able to see if they're actually trying to beat the zone.  Specially since we will be seeing the zone a lot until we prove to other teams that we can shoot from outside.

tower912

• All American
Re: beating zone defense
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:42:48 PM »
The secrets to beating a zone.   Ball movement.   Ball reversal.   Spacing.  Passing the ball into the post and back out.   Getting the ball to someone around the foul line who knows what to do with it.  This can be accomplished either through penetrating or passing.  And finally, there has never been a player who can single-handedly beat a zone.   Even long-range bombers need someone to get them the ball.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

paulpogo

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 03:44:34 PM »
One of the most basic tenants is having a 4 or 5 who can pass.  You need your bigs to be flshing from the box to the elbow assisting in reversing the ball.

Unfortunately, a zone will work well against us since our strength is in penetration and our weakness to this point has been in outside shooting.

The good news is that the more you see a zone defense, the better you get in moving the ball, anticipating how the defense will react, and making the extra pass.

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 03:54:03 PM »
After just two games, and seeing we don't have a 3 point threat...yet. What is the best way to beat a zone defense? 

While watching the game last night I told myself to post this exact question.  I'm no BB strategist and since I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn lately, I'm hoping others more knowledgeable will offer up their 2 cents.  (MUCrisco?  You're table is waiting... :))

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
I know it's overly simplistic, but rebounding is the easiest way to beat the zone.  Defensive boards lead to fast breaks.  And on the other end, it's easier for the rebounder to position himself for the offensive board.  Second chances are key.

As far as an offensive set, this picture illustrates how to attack a zone with stacking.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
make your free throws
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 04:09:56 PM »
.......that'd help beat a zone!    ;D

DetTitan

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 06:37:03 PM »
Detroit almost exclusively plays a man-to-man, but they played zone vs. Maine in the second half, which is when they made their comeback. One of our coaches said that Brandon Bell was instrumental in orchestrating the running of the zone. Head Coach Perry Watson doesn't run it very much...but I suppose we will be seeing it tonight with the success we had with it last night.

Our offense struggles against the zone defense. Maine ran zone all but one defensive set! But in the second half we figured out how to beat it, as shown by the improvement from 33% to 55% shooting between halves.

Detroit has a very good defense, always has, at least under Watson. That is his main focus. Our problem the last couple years is finding someone besides Cotton who can score. I think we have the most talent to do that this year, but they are mostly new players or players returning from injury, so it might take some time to gel. Hopefully for us, the way we handled the zone in the second half last night will be the way we will respond to it tonight.

DetTitan

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 08:44:56 PM »
well, you shot the three very well, beat the zone...caused turnovers, and ROYALLY destroyed us.

You guys are ranked 16th...many said over rated...not if you hit threes like you did tonight...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 08:49:09 PM »
Glad you popped in Titan, best of luck the rest of the year.

We'll obviously be elated around here that we finally had a game from the team we EXPECTED to see this year (MU looked horrible prior to this), so don't take it as disrespect.  Despite the fact that the MU / Detroit games haven't happened for a long time, good to see the teams play again.

Cheers!