Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stepping stone job?  (Read 11452 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Stepping stone job?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »
I am not sure you can be both. UW is far from stepping stone job and other than Northwestern or Penn State no Big Ten schools are stepping stone jobs.

I am sure MU would be destination job for Wardle or Townsend. Unfortunately it would be a death sentence for program if one of those two got the job.

Ask Stu Jackson about that.  It would have been, if not for Bennett and Ryan who grew up in the WIAC and within the UW system as coaches.  Get someone else in there, likely could be a stepping stone.

As for Wardle and Townsend, you are ready to write off their futures already?  Do you have a crystal ball?  I was not advocating them now or ever.  If they do grow into a quality High Major D1 Coach and came to MU, this would likely be their destination.  Unfortunately, MU does not produce enough College Head Coaches.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
Perhaps, one of AL's successors will realize that if they stick around and build a great program, you get your name on the building.

Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »
Non stepping stone jobs in the Big East: Louisville, Georgetown and maybe Syracuse and St. John's.

Every other school is a stepping stone and many have had coaches leave for greener pastures. Pitt, ND, WV, Marquette, etc. Only an alum would want to stay in Syracuse, NY for 25 years. UCONN will be a stepping stone when Calhoun leaves.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
VCU playing Purdue tonight.  VCU coach Shaka Smart is a graduate of Oregon (WI) High School near Madison and has been an assistant under Oliver Purnell at Dayton and Clemson and under Billy Donovan at Florida.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
PRN---I think a coach staying a minimum of 7-8 years is starting point for stepping stone job. You think ND is stepping stone job? Interesting, never thought of it that way. A lot of posters on here comment about location of school as being a negative and I do not get it. Most school's are in places most of us would prefer not to live in and many top programs are in cold weather cities. Is weather and city really a big deal if getting paid over a million a year?

MUMac---StuJackson? Come on, you can do better than that. UW is a destination job and even more so today. When SJ was there UW was Northwestern and a lot has changed there. Yes I have written off Wardle and Townsend already. If they grow into a D1 upper end coach more power to them. Odds are stacked against them.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
Stu Jackson was the only high profile coach they hired.  That is why I mentioned him.  If they hired a high profile Assistant Coach to replace Bo, I have no doubt it returns to a stepping stone.  You disagree, that is fine.  Neither can be proven right or wrong.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
Stu Jackson was the only high profile coach they hired.  That is why I mentioned him.  If they hired a high profile Assistant Coach to replace Bo, I have no doubt it returns to a stepping stone.  You disagree, that is fine.  Neither can be proven right or wrong.

I have to think with the success UW-madison has had the last decade, they will hire a major coach to replace Bo.  It took them 54 years to even be mentioned for the NCAAs, they don't want to go back

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
I have to think with the success UW-madison has had the last decade, they will hire a major coach to replace Bo.  It took them 54 years to even be mentioned for the NCAAs, they don't want to go back

I would be surprised if it is not someone from the Ryan tree.  I would be shocked if it is a name coach.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »
mumac---ok. But I do think time will prove if UW becomes stepping stone job.